Amazon Content Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 9 reviews

3.8
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
  1. "Grown Exponentially in 2 Years"

Current Employee - Technical Content Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've learned a lot, allowed to experiment, given autonomy, been able to bypass the bureaucracy, I've been able to create my own job.

Cons

Sometimes I haven't been coached enough (too much autonomy), difficult to internally transfer

Advice to Management

Help guide employees as they move to new roles

Amazon2019-05-30
  2. "Content Developer - A not-so-Amazon experience"

Former Employee - Content Developer

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most of your coworkers are on your side as long as you're helping them achieve their goals. - Awesome benefits. - Possibility of upward mobility, even for remote workers.

Cons

- Help (internal and external documentation) styling and presentation is stuck in the dark ages. - Information architecture teams are more concerned with maintaining old systems and incremental updates than moving to systems that put the customer and the author first. - Content strategists are a mixed bag. Some are more interested in their own career (and how you could affect it), and only pretend to care about... yours. Others are excellent, but lack the confidence to support you when your decisions differ from the norm. - Obsession over frugality continues to reduce the amount of resources available to authors and strategists. When good people leave, they aren't normally replaced. Ultimately, you're left without the hands to do all the work you need to. Reorganizing teams won't change that. - Localization and publishing partner teams tend to see content authors as the enemy. They meticulously comb through your content looking for mistakes, and if they find any, they publicly shame you for it. Over time, I lost confidence in my authoring skills because I spent so much time double-checking my work. - Things can get competitive. People might pretend to be your "work friend," but they're ready to throw you under the bus if it makes them look better. - Most people are too busy to take Jeff B.'s words to heart. The leadership principles are rarely spoken of, unless we/you screw up. - Promotions aren't based on skill and potential, they're based on whether you're liked or not. - Product teams don't care that you know more about supporting the customer, they want it their way.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees. Spend some money and have a summit where everyone can get loose together and stop looking at each other like mortal enemies. Don't start a massive reorg without warning and expect things to go well. I know agility is important, but not at the expense of your team's mental health. Focus on being a leader in the customer support industry instead of a follower. Do it quickly and... support your employees thoughtfully during the process. Disclaimer: My review pertains to the experience I had as a Support Experience content developer at Amazon. The feelings expressed in this review DO NOT reflect my overall view of Amazon.com. Regardless of my experience as a content dev, I still think Amazon is a terrific place to work.

Amazon2018-08-31
  3. "The benefits/downsides of a huge company"

Current Employee - Content Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, deliberate and well-intentioned human resources, strong initiatives to invent and hire the best talent. Amazon boasts a vastly diverse workforce that continually cultivates innovation and opportunity.

Cons

Large number of organizations within company creates unnecessary red tape/bureaucracy, certain groups encourage stress-inducing around-the-clock coverage, overly complicated solutions for otherwise simplistic issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to evaluate Amazon's impact on its immediate environment, and continue to look for opportunities to be accommodating of to a diverse workforce.

Amazon2018-02-17

"The jury is still out"

Current Employee - Content Developer

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits, smart and innovative people, opportunities across organizations, customer centric, well reviewed and liked

Cons

peer review system, out of touch leadership, work/life balance lacking

Amazon2014-06-29
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Content Developer

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, fast paced, learn something new every day

Cons

Like every other org, may not like management. but that's very team specific and shouldn't affect decision to apply or work here

Amazon2019-05-16
  6. "great deal overall"

Current Employee - Content Developer in Berlin

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

home office, lots of flexibility, overtime is given back, sabbaticals, getting time off for personal stuff,

Cons

everything is decided in the US

Advice to Management

promote people outside of US more

Amazon2018-11-16

"Restrictive, bereft of creativity, too chaotic."

Current Employee - Content Developer in Cork

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, opportunity to get involved with several projects not directly linked with (or above) the normal duties of your role. Higher management relatively approachable. Good managers will look to help or guide you where required.

Cons

The rate of change is so frequent that it's hard to keep track of what you're meant to be doing and why. Culture is very rigid; can't be promoted or move sideways without jumping through a ridiculous amount of hoops (if at all). Very process-driven without any room allowed for simplification. Insane levels of bureaucracy, very tiring when easier ways are possible. Avoid if you are in any way creative or independent.

Advice to Management

Try to allow people to move sideways if they are clearly good/hard workers, but struggling or uncomfortable at their current role. Allow space for critical thinking and to let staff question moves. If something isn't instinctive to a worker, that means there's an issue with the work.

Amazon2018-03-24

"Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Content Developer in Cork

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks and the possibility to get a better job. If you can work in Amazon, you'll find easy to work anywhere!

Cons

Employees must state weaknesses of their colleagues in their performance reviews. These are taken to build up cases against other employees. Every morning a few mandatory questions prompt in the system to gather employees' feedback about managers, coworkers, any intention to quit the job or rate the company coolness. This combination (along with the fact that there is rarely room for promotion) encourages an... unhealthy company culture of distrust among employees. In two years that I was there, I had the impression I didn't know the people in my team and I learnt myself to mind my own businesses only. Questions and pushing back changes are not normally welcome. Employees must abide by any rapid changes and tenet "show a backbone" would not really work. Some marketplaces (e.g. India) get larger workloads. Noticeably, they are expected to be available am and pm, in meetings at indecent times!

Advice to Management

It would be more human to make staff redundant instead of bullying them with Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) until they resign. Employees deem 'Success stories' meetings superficial and unproductive. It gets people's motivation down and takes their time. Nice perks do not really retain employees, it was a pity to see talent leaving all the time...

Amazon2017-11-22
  9. "Content Developer"

Current Employee - Content Developer in São Paulo, São Paulo

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative environment and well organized corporation. I really like the frugality approach.

Cons

The "insist in high standards" motto should be followed for the sake of employees as well. Some tools that we need to use are poorly designed (i.e. Adobe Site Catalyst).

Amazon2015-10-23