Amazon Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2483 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 518 reviews)

"Corporate Counsel - 2+ years in, and it's hard but fascinating"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being an attorney for Amazon always offers opportunities to work on interesting problems. From day 1, I owned my own matters, made independent decisions, and worked frontline with new clients and customers. It's a lot more responsibility than my law firm associate role, and has more opportunities to speak up and lead. The issues we work through might be operationally difficult, involve high dollar value transactions, or have customer-facing implications (or all three) but each attorney works independently and within the team to solve them.

I get excellent mentorship and training benefits. There are more levels between you and leadership than at a firm, but there are also good opportunities to work with senior leaders on specific deals, project work (for process improvement, scaling etc), and as an escalation point. My career got a big jump start by being at Amazon, and my manager is actively coaching me to achieve my goals. I feel that Amazon has invested in me, and that makes me more willing to invest in Amazon.

Everyone I work with is super smart and has high expectations. They all went to excellent law schools, and worked at top tier law firms and in house roles before joining Amazon. You get to work with, and be trained by, the best here.

The leadership principles are very real - your hiring, performance, and promotion, are all tracked against them. Team members and leaders give feedback framed in the leadership principles, and it creates a common language in a huge company, which I've found helpful.

Cons

I generally work law firm hours still. Some weeks are better than others, but this isn't a normal in house role.

It takes time to adjust to this work style and approach. I love it but definitely needed to stick out the first 6-9 months to get into the swing of things. Amazon attorneys are serious about their jobs and the leadership principles, and there's a lot of "project work" for business improvement, so you're always balancing your main work (transactional or advisory etc) with projects that fix broader problems.

"AWS Legal"

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, strong work ethic, close integration with business partners, casual atmosphere, new things happen every day.

Cons

Inequitable expectations & work pressure, over-reliance on stock price growth, arbitrariness disguised as frugality.

3. "Great place for inhouse counsel"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on cutting edge opportunities. Clients are smart, respectful and appreciative.

Cons

It's a large organization, but a meritocracy that insists on high standards. Not the place for those who just want to coast.

"Legal Counsel"

Former Employee - Legal Counsel in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Legal Counsel in Reston, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stock keeps going up; good experience for employees that you can take to a more employee friendly company; interesting products

Cons

No work-life balance; not near market for salary, vacation time; not friendly to parents; slave labor mentality from exec management

Advice to Management

Treat your employees

"Ripped Jeans and Office Dogs"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My management supports me and my business clients value me. Plus, I get to wear ripped jeans to the office, cuddle puppies on my breaks, and ignore my email when I'm on vacation.

Cons

Days are intense. The business moves fast, and it has a lot of moving parts. Working here requires learning new time management and delegation skills, because what made you successful before you got to Amazon just won't be enough here.

"Just a sweatshop with no personal or career growth"

Former Employee - Corporate Counsel, Patents
    Former Employee - Corporate Counsel, Patents

I worked at Amazon (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon makes some great products so it is fun to be part of that

Cons

Worst management I have had in my career. Virtually no interest in providing employees with an interesting and fulfilling career.

"Don't be fooled by the big paycheck - it's not worth it"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great. It is pegged to law firm market salaries, so you will be able to move in house without a drop in compensation. You will get to be a mini GC and will be very involved in the business you support.

Cons

There's a reason that Amazon pays so much more than other companies. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to retain any talent. And despite the big paychecks, the legal department is still a revolving door. The company seems to recognize the turnover issue, but has chosen to address it by building repayment obligations into your employment agreement. Want to leave before you hit two years? Get ready to pay back some of that "signing bonus" and a chunk of your relocation benefits.

This is not an easy, satisfying, or fun place to work. Whether your experience at Amazon will be extremely difficult or absolutely unbearable depends entirely on your manager and your clients.

Advice to Management

High pay is not an excuse for creating a sustainable working environment. If you are actually committed to data, recognize the turnover rate and change your ways.

"Adversarial, distrustful, all-encompassing"

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation, particularly in the early years (when it's mostly in cash)
    Working with incredibly talented and dedicated people is inspiring
    Projects are cutting-edge: you'll be telling your grandkids about them

Cons

Darwinian (Hobbesian, even) ethos takes it toll on your personal life: the company will take everything you will give it, and it won't hug you back.
    Balance is a bad word, never to be uttered
    It hasn't grown up as a company: this is not yet a good corporate citizen.

Advice to Management

Match charitable contributions
    Start being concerned about the churn: it cost money and time to hire and train the replacements. It would serve the company's mission, as well are the shareholders (if they ever become a concern), if you were to focus on creating a more sustainable work environment.

"corporate counsel"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience with earlier responsibilities and little support - sink or swim.

Cons

Average turnover 18 months. No perks. None. Not even maternity or paternity leave. Company baseball game? Buy your own tickets and food. No admin support, so you burn lots of time in self-service. I had no lights in my office when I joined.

Advice to Management

You need to reduce churn. Losing people that quick is not frugal - it's penny wise and pound foolish (aka frupid)

"Sort of like a law firm"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Be a mini GC. You get a lot of responsibility and, depending on the role, can become a true generalist. Other companies will love to have you.

Cons

Very big company. Very slow moving. It is also a large legal department so advancement isn't easy. Very long hours.

Advice to Management

The GC is not a great leader. He is very aloof and does not really lead the department. While the lawyers are excellent, the department is not a well oiled machine.