Amazon Customer Service Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2517 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 523 reviews)

"For the most part I enjoyed working at Amazon."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Digital Specialist in Kennewick, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility as far as time off is concerned. Many different OU's to choose from so you can move laterally. As a company Amazon goes above and beyond to make the day fun and exciting (especially holdiays). Lots of overtime. Stock. Bonuses

Cons

Every second of your day is being timed, literally. Many times through out the day you'll feel like you're in school again. You have to work pretty much all holidays, no exceptions. Overtime can be made mandatory, no getting out of that. Your schedule will be changed at the drop of a dime. Before you worked at 5am, now you work at 5pm, have fun adjusting to that. Once you're out of time off, do not come to work 1 second late, you will be fired. After a certain amount of time with the company, it seems they will look for any reason to fire you as they can pay someone much less to do what you do (by the way, I didn't get fired, I had to quit as I was moving)

Advice to Management

Team Leads, congrats, you made it. But please, don't act all "mightier than thou" towards the CSA's who's pay scale is less than yours. Everyone's just trying to make a living

"Customer Output Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive wage
    Free bus cards
    Controlled temperature system

Cons

I was an employee of amazon for 8 very long months. It is a very physically demanding job. The repetitive movements doing the same actions 4000+ times a day takes a toll on joints and specific muscles. At the end; I had been going to an acupuncturist and chiropractor to help elevate pressure / pain which was costing a significant amount with high deductible insurance. I now also have shin splints.

The continued pressure to move faster makes a person feel inferior no matter how you try. Monthly Productivity bonus is per entire warehouse percentage and not given on individual bases.

The atmosphere is depressing in general.

You can go days without communication with management or other staff. When you are able to speak to your manager it is rushed.

I had 5 managers in 8 months. There is a big inconsistency between management because of this and overall direction is not clear.

The training group I started with had over 30 people at the start of peak 2017. When I left amazon there were 3 left of that group but most left about 3 months after start.

Advice to Management

Customers are amazons top priority. Which is great but your staff are also your customers. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

I am no longer an amazon employee nor a customer.

3. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Saint Marys, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Saint Marys, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work For

Cons

No con's great company to work for

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They'll take about anyone.

Cons

Exhausting work, burnout is high among employees who last more than a couple years. If you can't move up in a position after three years you're pretty much expected to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze every iota of efficiency out of your employees. They're not a consumable resource for you to burn up and throw away

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Specialist- Concierge in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Amazon definitely gives you a recognizable company to put on your resume, but that's about it. Benefits are middle of the road. You can claim $50 reimbursement for your cell phone bill. Oh, and you can wear whatever you want to work - which is nice I suppose.

Cons

1. Poor vacation/time off (5 days for hourly, 10 for salary)
    2. Management is a disaster and there is no outlook to fix it
    3. Micro-management is unavoidable
    4. Telecommuting seems like voodoo to the company even when the job can easily be done from home
    5. You're overworked
    6. No recognition for anything at all
    7. Little chances for moving around in the company

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want and do it. Management is a disaster and there is no guidance anywhere.

6. "Employeecentric"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Secunderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Secunderabad (India)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place to have fun and achieve heights

Cons

No proper balance in supporting system.Where there are happening many changes

Advice to Management

Providing more opportunities to the employees where they can shows there skills and knowledge for the development of both the organization and employee

7. "Nice work enviroment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Health Program and insurance.

Cons

Transportation is not that good.