Amazon Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 413 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 321 reviews)

Cons

1. "Fine experience in warehouse"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in fulfillment center is straightforward. Tasks are repetitive but meeting performance standards isn't difficult. Very flexible time off benefits.

Cons

High turnover of management leads to frequent need for positive first impressions and difficulty gaining more diverse training.

Advice to Management

Slow to incorporate associate feedback when reorganizing work areas.

"Senior Ops Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Amazon in operations for nearly 7 years and while it has not always been easy, it has been an overall great experience and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is willing to put in the effort. Amazon managers work hard and are held to high expectations which simply is not for everyone. For me personally, I have loved being surrounded by highly intelligent people who have a great work ethic and who care passionately about taking care of customers and contributing to the success of the organization so I actually prefer the fact that we demand a lot of managers and in doing so we end up with very high quality managers. One of the best things about the company is how empowered managers are to make a difference and have an enormous impact. Overall it's hard to beat Amazon in terms of a fun company to work for that will push you to grow and provide you with awesome opportunities. Anyone who can get through the tough hiring process is crazy not to take a job with Amazon as long as you're willing to work and not simply looking for an easy paycheck.

Cons

The work life balance can be challenging at times but to some degree it can come down to how you, as an individual, manage yourself. Sprint when you have to (peak) but catch your breath (use your paid time off) when you can. The only other con is that there are a large number of very weak people leaders in the company (super smart but terrible with people) and there are so many of them in senior positions that it is a self propagating issue since they do not understand their own shortcomings and the danger of continuing to hire/promote other people like themselves. That being said, there has been some notable improvement in recent years and I'm happy to say that I've crossed paths with some exceptional leaders in senior positions recently.

Advice to Management

You need stronger people leadership in the organization. You have too many smart managers who are completely clueless people leaders. One of the biggest liabilities in the entire company is the Pathways program which quickly promotes terrible leaders and has them mentoring other new Pathways in no time which is the perfect definition of the blind leading the blind.

3. "Loss Prevention Manager"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sign on bonus, casual dress, share price

Cons

Salary is not consistent across positions, outside of operations you are nothing, leadership principles are not true, threats of being fired, no growth, calls throughout the night and no additional pay.

Advice to Management

No one ever stays with Amazon for a reason within support.

4. "Could"

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong growth
     Off the chart innovation
     Plenty of career opportunities

Cons

Hypergrowth means a lot of work will be coming at you during different seasons until new hires arrive What a great "problem" to have

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing , but fight hard for "day one" thinking

5. "Client Lead Recruiter"

Current Employee - Client Lead Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Lead Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The challenge and innovation at Amazon is virtually endless. They truly do listen to your ideas and are willing to try things to improve processes, procedures, etc.

Cons

The company itself is huge, which makes it sometimes difficult to navigate outside of your own organization.

6. "Best Company I have Ever Worked For - AWS -"

Current Employee - Senior Partner Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Partner Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous growth opportunities due to massive growth. Flat organization that operates more like a scrappy startup than a very large, bureaucratic organization. Highly competitive compensation with all employees having ownership interests via RSU's. It is such a privilege to work with so many talented people.

Cons

Massive growth means that things change constantly - this is great for those who are flexible and deal well with ambiguity, but would be a challenge for others who prefer more rigid environments. The latter should be very cautious about joining.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, I have every bit of confidence in the organization's leadership and strategy.

7. "Best place to grow and be part of something great"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, customer obsessed, diverse, encourages growth in all areas, modern and innovative, great dress code, like a big family, love it!

Cons

It you are a worker and you are taking your job serious, there are no cons!

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and developing the "best"!

8. "Working with the best has its benefits."

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the AWS division as a Cloud Support Engineer and I have never seen a smarter group of engineers. A huge amount of employees here have masters or higher level education, so even the people in lower level positions are experts in something you probably arent. This provides an amazing learning environment and I feel like my career has progressed more quickly by being able to learn from the best.

There has been significant room for promotion from within based on merit, and the requirements for such are clearly defined. I have not felt like politics played a part in the decisions which is always refreshing. I have been able to prove my value through visible milestones and have been recognized accordingly. It has also been possible to choose the direction and teams I wished to move forward with. A high emphasis is placed on skill development and cross team training which helps with lateral and upward mobility as well.

Finally, I feel like what I do has a real and global impact. I work with some of the largest companies in the world as well as amazon retail, and Ill occasionally hear about things I was a part of in the news. I would not have had these kinds of opportunities at a smaller company.

Cons

Theres just a vending machine in the break room, snacks are not provided. They also do not cater lunches. I guess its fine but I do miss that from my previous employer.

They give out stock which is great, but it vests over time and they claim its part of your total compensation which is the number they use for everything. If the stock went up, well your total compensation for this year is now higher so theyll use that as a reason to not give salary raises. I don't love this because obviously the stock market is volatile and the times you can gain access to that stock are limited. They claim the opposite would be true if the stock went down but that hasn't really happened in the last 3-4 years so its hard to say how that would work out. Its hard to complain too much about all the stock I have being too valuable though.

Advice to Management

More snacks.

9. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - IT Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Warehouse IT, Good Environment Great Co Workers.

Cons

Automation will limit ability to learn new technologies.

"Hard work but good job"

Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to move around a lot, and work alone most of the time, the pay is pretty good and benefits are not bad. Management is good and easy to talk to and appreciative you your work. Its possible to work up to 29 hours a week as a part time employee, if you take extra shifts via their online site.

Cons

It can be some hard physical work, and tight spaces to move around if a bunch of people are in the same space.

Showing 93 of 18,309 reviews