Amazon Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2483 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 518 reviews)

1. "Solutions Architect"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and innovate in the area of Machine Learning

Cons

To keep up with rapid innovation in AWS Services requires rigorous time management

2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tools and Process which work at the scale of Amazon

Cons

Their performance measurement criteria is very subjective and thus gives managers a very easy way to fire people as and when they want to

Advice to Management

Re-visit performance evaluation process.

3. "Helpful, Team spirit"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Livonia, MI

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Team spirit, Great Benefits, easy commute

Cons

Working Pit machines, Better training, Breaks need to be longer,Managers are not people driven,

Advice to Management

Better training

4. "Warehouse fullfillment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romulus, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romulus, MI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

10 to 12 hours Long shifts

"Amazon Prime Now Personal Shopper"

Current Employee - Amazon Prime Now Personal Shopper in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Amazon Prime Now Personal Shopper in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working conditions, our work station is in a corner of a Whole Foods and it's clean. People are nice. 10% discount online. Decent wage of $15 USD and a somewhat flexible* schedule.

Cons

*Scheduling is unfair and unpredictable, new shifts are posted 3 times a week at a certain time. They are ALL taken within a minute or less. I haven't had an opportunity to work in 3 weeks because of this. You literally have to sit on your computer or phone hoping your browser loads faster than everyone else, considering you are competing with 50+ people for 10 shifts or so. Very poor communication with management and a useless 1-800 number to some call center in India only to tell you to talk to your manager. Glassdoor is the closest thing I can find for Amazon Prime Now feedback and I hope somebody reads this.

Besides the scheduling issues, I genuinely enjoy this job. I just wish I'd get hours.

Advice to Management

Make the online shift scheduling fair! I haven't worked in weeks, all shifts are taken within minutes and I don't have much or any chance to pick one up. It could be the same dozen people getting those shifts consistently meanwhile I and others get nothing.

6. "Nightmare in Hiring"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Romulus, MI
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Romulus, MI

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay, benefits not bad, easy to get hired

Cons

Hiring process is a botched mess of incompetence, hundreds of emails and texts, appointments randomly and frequently cancelled and changed, total chaos

Advice to Management

Hire an HR staff that actually knows what they're doing, de-automate the process so that prospective employees actually interact with a human rather than an automated (and totally defective) computer system, and fix the enormous mess of that system so that prospects like myself do not go through SIX WEEKS waiting to start a new position and have their orientation cancelled and rescheduled 8 times in by that system for no apparent reason.

"Poorly structured"

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shopping at Whole Foods in Rochester. Nice atmosphere, other employees for Amazon and Whole Foods are nice. Low pressure job, no micromanaging. You are guaranteed paid training, 3 days training plus 2 hours at home online paid training. You are guaranteed 1 shift to work because during the training they show you how, and have you go online and choose your first shift.

Cons

No management at all! Worked there almost a month, never met my manager.. never!Apparently she manages 3 or 4 stores. Scheduling shifts is a farce. You wait for shifts to be announced 3 times a week at 7:30 pm. You go on a web site and the shifts are posted. Well, ALL shoppers are competing for the same shifts at the same time. If you're not extremely quick, you DO NOT get a shift. Also, they are supposed to post at7:30 pm well, they were 15 minutes late posting on Sunday, they posted 2 hours early on Tuesday, and an hour and a half late on Thursday. After the first week of work, I was only able to pick up 1 shift in 3 weeks... not without trying...sheer luck of the draw. Amazon promotes this job saying its flexible and you can choose your own shift, well yes, if they are not all gone within the nanosecond it takes them to post snd you to view. And you can definitely not work choose more than one shift because once the first one you chose is confirmed, the rest are all taken. Once you do get a shift, you wait in a cold but clean room at Whole Foods. And you wait and you wait for a grocery order to come in. I've gotten 9 item orders and I've gotten 52 item orders. But they come in few and far between. There is nothing else to do but shop. If no order, you stand and wait.

Advice to Management

Fix the way you schedule shifts. Offer your employees real work. It's a great job other than only being able to work one shift a month! You take the time, effort and money to train good people who want to work, then you dont follow through and offer them a concrete and consistent shift to work. And, follow through with your work if you say shifts are posted at 7:30pm, then post them at 7:30 pm!!!!

8. "Great Career employment"

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Wonderful stock sharing
    Great management
    Fun work place
    Best benefits
    Leadership Principles

Cons

No consistency in schedule

Advice to Management

Stay on the same path.

9. "Scanner"

Current Employee - Scanner in Brownstown, MI
    Current Employee - Scanner in Brownstown, MI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Flexible, pick your own schedule, some friendly people.

Cons

Management doesn't really communicate. I like a couple of supervisors but most are real dismissive

Advice to Management

Treat people like you appreciate them

"Avoid Working Here if You Can"

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Brownstown, MI
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Brownstown, MI

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple, but physically demanding work
    Set schedule every week

Cons

The HR is useless, and are the center reason for people losing their jobs
    15 Minute breaks are actually about 8 minutes (including the walk to the nearest break room) considering they start when the managers call it out at the front of the warehouse and you can't hear them
    VTO program is stupendously bad
    ATO program is stupendously bad
    If you are injured, management will force you into signing a form stating it isn't a work related accident
    Do not accept doctor's notes, funeral home letters, etc.
    If you are hired during peak, you WILL be fired after peak.... which is less than a month of employment
    A horrible attendance policy
    Heard the blue badge (basically guaranteed a job) application was going to open up in 60 days. I worked there for six months and nothing happened.
    Personal Memo: I gave them over a MONTH'S NOTICE that I would need a new weekly schedule and it took them ANOTHER month to finally change it, long past when I needed it changed, hence why I'm a former employee. It's sad, because they claim to have flexible hours and it's HR's fault because they wanted to delay my request for as long as they possibly could

Advice to Management

Start taking accountability when your employees faint or get injured
    GET BETTER HR TEAM MEMBERS
    Understand that life does happen, people get sick, hospitalized, and have family members that pass away. You're broken ATO system does no favors for anyone
    Give white badges more opportunities if you aren't going to open up the blue badges
    Just strip out your old system entirely and rebuild it

Showing 44 of 28,325 reviews