Amazon Executive Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1676 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 370 reviews)

1. "I love it here."

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment with endless opportunities for growth. You truly get out what you put in. Amazonians know how to get things done but also know how to have fun! I truly admire all of my coworkers and work with the smartest people in the world. The Seattle campus itself is amazing.

Cons

South Lake Union traffic is pretty terrible - plus there is always construction going on downtown.

Advice to Management

None - I've had three managers so far and they have all been amazing and really focus on developing your skills.

"Stay away if you want a life outside of work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have great, current internal tools, efficient and helpful AV and if you want to get your hands into new product development across the company, it's available to you.

Cons

Expected to be online 24/7 and respond to text/emails/phone calls any time of the day or night. Cursed if you don't respond to the 1 am email by 8 am because they view everything as an emergency and cursed if you do respond right away, saying you need to get a life. No rewards/incentives for loyalty or meeting deadlines beyond a pizza thrown at the engineers; absolutely nothing for admin support at all. Job offers are given with sign-on bonuses with the agreement to not quit before first year or the bonus is paid back. Managers take advantage of this situation and treat staff like cogs in a machine. Expect to work on holidays, have vacation denied, told that they believe in people standing up for what they believe in and having work/life balance but then shooting all of that down the second a request or issue is brought up such as appropriate work balance or needing time off to take care of a sick family member. Parking is costly and the commute is brutal. If you have a manager from hell, they won't let you transfer internally without that manager's approval so you are stuck or have to resign.

"Your Experience is a Reflection of YOU"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, and opportunities are top of the industry. Your potential is unlimited, so you are only restricted by the amount of work you are willing to put in and your own attitude and communication style. Unbeatable culture. Forget any bad press and anecdotes you've read/heard if they are older than 2 years. This company is always changing, evolving, and improving. Management listens to everyone, and changes are implemented faster than you would expect. I have the ability to work from home when needed or adjust my schedule, without question. I also have the support of an amazing team of people I genuinely like. If you are independent and self-driven, you can really stretch and grow to your full potential. Top of the line technology and tools to get your job done, and usually more than one way to do it.

Cons

Not really a con, but if you need a lot of direction and hand-holding, this is not the place for you. It is a VERY large and growing company, so you will be a little fish in a big pond. But when someone offers you a seat on a rocket ship, you don't ask what seat! My pet peeve is the few but loud complainers, who I think would not be happy anywhere. The grass is always greener somewhere else for these people. Spoiled, overprivileged, and full of themselves. I run into these mostly in the SDE's, who are highly prized and know it. Anyone who makes more than $100k a year gets no sympathy from me. By that stage in your career, you should know how to communicate effectively and have your concerns heard and addressed. I've never had management not listen to me.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the morale and concerns of your team. If you are "old school" in thinking and were part of the old cutthroat reputation of the company, either get with the times or get out. For everyone else, keep up the good work. I love this company!

"Great money"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

The money was very good. The responsibilities were light. Working with lots of smart people..

Cons

Lot's of chiefs who do not like to delegate.

Advice to Management

Use the people you hire and "listen" to what they have to offer no matter what their position within the organization is. All eyes and ears are useful to improve business.

"It's who you know"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot and are given a lot of responsibility in any role. There is always something happening on campus to attend, conferences, talks, guest artists, tutorials. The compensation is certainly competitive. Now that I have it on my resume, I feel like a more competitive candidate because the company has the reputation of hiring hard workers. If I can survive here, I can survive anywhere.

Cons

You advance in the company largely based on who you know. This can determine what level you begin at in the company and that highly influences your compensation and how long it will take to get a promotion. The team you are working on and the level of visibility of the business initiative they are working on also highly impact promotions. You need to advocate for yourself and ask for a promotion.

Advice to Management

Put the work in to writing the promotion document for your direct report when they are preforming at a high level. Don't only wait for them to ask for a promotion. Make your direct reports feel valuable to the team and to the company.

"EAs are for gridning"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uhm, pretty buildings? Bring your dog to work.

Cons

All I do is calendaring, +40 hours a week. No appreciation, no gratitude, and I am not treated like an equal member of the team. The internal website is basically a giant wiki, with no thought behind organization or hierarchy. Finding information on basic search terms is impossible.

Advice to Management

The exec EAs in this group commented about how you're not supposed to spend your entire day managing a calendar. It would be nice if new managers of EAs perhaps got some mentoring on how work with their EAs prior to getting one.

"Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and poor infrastructure within the company.

Advice to Management

Sadly, management is aware of the faults of the company. They have become part of the culture and unavoidable.

"Just don't."

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, bonuses, good lunch spots, dogs are the best, people are smart and sharp, Seattle is the best place in the world.

Cons

They trap you with your bonus for a year, don't spend that money as you will want to leave quickly. Don't even dream of hanging around til your stock vests. You're reading these and thinking, "Oh, they all must have just had a bad experience." No - the culture is built to be cruel and draining. They will not value you as a human being. Assistants were quitting left and right around me, leaving me to support executives above my level on top of the ones I was hired for. There will be no extra compensation or reward, only a subtle acknowledgment that you are tough enough to endure what everyone else is going through. Everyone is hostile and political once you get to know them. Everyone is living shells of lives away from their families. Everyone clings to the idea that it's all worthwhile and their lives have meaning when really, it's just online retail. The pace is frenetic and it never slows down. You will get headaches, your health will decline, your relationships will suffer. There are so many other places that value assistants, this is not one of them. Do yourself a favor and really examine your motivations for applying here. If you have something to prove, go climb a mountain.

Advice to Management

My advice - also quit amazon, there's a beautiful world out there where you don't have to be this miserable. Also celebrate administrative professionals day, you jerks.

10. "Hard work, good money"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, dogs at the office, banana stand, young/hip employees, super smart colleagues

Cons

Long hours, excessive expectations, limited office space for employees

Advice to Management

Real estate management is not buffering enough space (period). Current models are not working, we need to change the root cause of GREF mismanagement so as to have effective work environments.

"Brutal culture"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, pursuing opportunities internally is encouraged. Professionally courteous and respectful. For high functioning individuals who want their potential "squeezed" out of them, this is the place. High turnover and short tenure is the norm due to burnout.

Cons

Continually moving the goal post, highly critical and in some cases hypocritical management. They eat their young.

Advice to Management

Managers should reverse the Earns Trust Leadership Principle to earn the trust of their direct reports by valuing them as people and invest in them long term.