Amazon Flex Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Flex CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Horrible amounts of wear and tear on the car-- I put nearly 300 miles in 2 days of deliveries and made under (in 60 reviews)

• It always takes longer than the 3 hour block your paid for (in 28 reviews)

1. "Greatest part time job ever"

Current Employee - Flex Driver in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Flex Driver in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you good money to work outside all day and exercise (running up to houses to deliver). It's a great feeling to know you're not stuck inside working in some stressful cubicle on a beautiful day.

You can pick up or give up jobs whenever you want so long as your dropping a shift comes within 45min of your start time.

The people are awesome

You're an independent contractor, so no boss!

It's just way too much fun. Not stressful at all.

They give you a route w a set time of 4 hours. I usually finish delivering in half the time and still get the payment for the 4 hours.

Cons

Battling for blocks. You can't be overly dependent on flex for money especially if it's off peak. You'll start to freak out because competition is heavy to grab shifts. But typically I work 4 hours every day of the week, so it's not that bad.

It drives up the mileage on your car.

More recently they updated the app so you can't pick up more shifts until your scheduled block is over. Before, if you finished a couple hours ahead of your delineated finish time you would be able to start within the next hour. But now, your earnings don't update until the full 4 hours of your block is up.

"Amazon Flex is GREAT but not for EVERYONE"

Current Employee - Flex Driver in Baltimore Highlands, MD
    Current Employee - Flex Driver in Baltimore Highlands, MD

I have been working at Amazon Flex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make you own schedule, money is good, independence and free from an office/dictatorship environment. Lol

Cons

Using you own car is really the only con.

Advice to Management

There should be a dedicated Flex Ambassador at each station. That way drivers would have a way of getting their questions answered, new Flex drivers can be properly trained i.e. how to use the Flex app on their phones, how to properly load their vehicles, what to do in case a customer isn't home to receive their package or what to do if they might exceed their 3 hour block.
    Try to maintain some sort of regularity as far as when blocks are dropped. I love this job. Don't make t harder for me to schedule work. :-)

"Flex delivery driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Great pay!!! You can work whenever you want and get a lot of blocks in the beginning

Cons

Sometimes you get too many packages of Deliver. If customers say that they didn't receive a package from you you will be fired.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at finding packages the customers report stolen. Don't just fire the driver without doing a better investigation of where the packages have gone. A customer will lie and say that they did not receive a package in order to get something for free.

4. "Fair Salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have good cultures and values.

Cons

They pay you per hour without putting other expenses into considering like toll fees, parking fees, long hours in traffic and other unforeseen expenses.

Advice to Management

Create a better way for flex drivers to get deliveries without refreshing the app multiple times, it is so frustrating. Also consider other unforeseen expenses when paying drivers.

5. "Not Bad But Also Not Consistant"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The holiday season it is really really really good money 2-3 shifts a day coming home with lots of extra cash in your pockets. Its also easy to finish a 4 hour shift in like 1.5-2 hours on average. 72 bucks for every 4 hour shift making it a easy way to get 72-144 a day in extra bucks a day.

Cons

You have to have fast clicking fingers to find your shifts. sometimes the PM shifts are messy and it takes longer than the timeframe. Sometimes you have a hard time finding a location because the GPS system they use is bunk. Also in the slow season your maybe lucky to get 2 shifts a day other than that usually one in the morning. if a area you are delivering to has bad reception then the app wont work witch means you cant scan your packages to deliver. Amazon does not comp you for any parking tickets, miles, or tolls. Also with Tax season here I had a hard time claiming my miles and cellphone data usage

Advice to Management

Fix your GPS for PM Shifts because sometimes i go back and forth to the same part of town 3 times wasting 20 minutes of time. Also you have to make sure the number of packages inside the bags are correct when we scan so we don't have to scan them mid road. Also I feel like if you work over your shift you should be compensated for doing so.

6. "One of the better side hustles"

Current Employee - Flex Driver in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Flex Driver in Newark, CA

I have been working at Amazon Flex (More than a year)

Pros

Set my own hours.
    Better Pay than most side hustles.

Cons

Manual sorting for night runs leads to delays and driver safety issues in the field.
    Inconsistent rules depot to depot.
    Runs nearly always take longer than what we are paid for
    Navigation in the app is problematic at best

Advice to Management

Implement automatic sorting by zone for all night runs the same way you do it for day runs in ALL depots.
    Have a waze integration in the app for better navigation. In the larger cities with large buildings, it can be hard if not impossible for GPS to get a fix on you.
    Train the depots on what is realistic for each block. For example, due to parking and access issues, you cannot expect to deliver the same number of packages in downtown San Francisco that you would in a suburb.
    Also, train the depots to be on time with the routes. That way you don't have drivers sitting around for 20 to 30 minutes. You allow us to check in up to 15 minutes ahead of time. We'd like to be able to pick up and go. Especially if our first stop is 30 minutes away from the depot.

7. "Driving"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can check for work if you were signed up when the program first started. If you didn't you just get put on a waiting list if you give all your persona info

Cons

So just got off the phone with Flex, ALL of DFW cities/area are closed to new drivers as of early 2017. You can still sign up and give your personal info , social security number, your bank info and accounts, but their will be now work avl. Not sure why they do this

"Randomly fired by this company without relevant details"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon Flex (More than a year)

Pros

Make $25/hr rushing around the city trying to make deliveries on time or $18/hr to sit around in a parking lot and do nothing. I've done my fair share of both. The company can afford it; they are paying you from prime memberships, not from a delivery fee.

Cons

Just got my contract terminated without sufficient explanation. The notice said I'd been consonantly late with my deliveries, No idea what they are talking about. The only time my deliveries had been late were when they dispatched me to pick something up that was late which was not something I could control, and I followed the protocol in those situations. Who knows what the real reason is. It might have been a glitch in their programming. I'll appeal it and see what happens.

Advice to Management

Don't replace management with computer programs

9. "Good side hustle but needs few improvements"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are your own boss, pick up blocks when you want, it’s easy and great pay. The app guides you step by step but needs minor improvements.

Cons

Some days or weeks there a very few opportunities, probably hired too many drivers. No reimbursement for gas or ware and tare on vehicle.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if when you accept a block, that the region you get assigned is closest to your home. Also don’t hire so many drivers so that we can get more blocks throughout the week.

10. "Delivery"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon Flex part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , no office or supervisor , set your own time and day . The staff at the station s are friendly and polite

Cons

Not much respect from support . Any issues and basically your told your on your own . No compensation for wear and tear on your vehicle, parking tickets . If it takes longer than the allotted time frame no compensation. Nothing to put on your car to show you are making a delivery . Tickets would be reduced if their were a marker stating you’re in and out in less than 10 minutes

Advice to Management

Be more aware of the problems in cities you send drivers to. We have to option to decline a block once we find out where we are being sent . Some cities like San Francisco downtown are just not worth the $20 an hour . We lose money in gas , parking , time and stress