Amazon Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "I'm drinking the Cool-aid HARD!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful project
    Job autonomy
    Engaging work
    Flexible Hours
    Great Benefits
    Generous compensation

Cons

Comute
    No real snacks or fun perks
    10% discount on Amazon purchases up to the first $1,0000. (should be more or better perks, like free amazon prime account)

"Great environment for challenges, learning, and growth"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility being a Solutions Architect. I love dealing with new challenges and helping customers develop their next big ideas on AWS. My manager and colleagues are very supportive and are always ready to assist when I need help with a challenging problem.

Cons

So much to learn, sometimes it's hard to keep up. But if you're passionate about what you do, you won't have an issue finding ways to keep abreast of the latest AWS services.

3. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a self-starter and know what you want to do with your career, this is the place for you. Any go-getter will find this place tremendously innovative and exciting. There is always something new around the corner.

Cons

Elitist attitudes and clique-ishness are heavily prevalent in some business areas. This is fine if you are found to be "one of us", but if you are not included it can be a real bummer. Having the highest standards should not translate to "better than thou". The whole org could use more training on inclusivity and unconscious bias.

Advice to Management

I can see that sourcing one's inner circle for hiring can be a great way to find excellent trustworthy talent. I think, however, that hiring friends (especially close ones) to work for the team you manage defeats the purpose of seeking diverse perspectives and working to disconfirm one's beliefs. Seems like a conflict of interest that could negatively affect those who are not part of the inner circle, but working on the team.

"Great Company to learn and grow!"

Current Employee - AI2 Associate in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - AI2 Associate in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Endless possibilities to learn
    -Great culture
    -Good management, pretty flat organization
    -Decent Compensation
    -Endless opportunity to move into new roles

Cons

-Compensation could be better, they offer lower base pay and try to entice you with more stock which doesn't vest for 4 typically
    -401k match is a joke
    -No tuition reimbursement unless you work in a fulfillment center

Advice to Management

-Revamp the 401k match
    -Get a tuition reimbursement program going to entice people to learn, grow, and stay
    -Offer more teleworking flexibility

5. "Data Center Operations"

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, initially, with shift differential.

Knowledgeable team members and good support from immediate managers.

Large datacenter environment allows exposure to multiple different hardware types.

Cons

Compensation does not scale-up well, year-over-year. They prefer to use vested stock options as raises, but they don't vest for another two years after the award.

Ticket resolve metrics are the only driver for management. Extracurriculars taken-on by techs are generally not supported or rewarded.

Internal ticketing system has migrated to a micro-managing, tracking system akin to fulfillment centers that burdens simple hardware break/fix with unnecessary "paperwork".

Compartmentalization of responsibility leads to compartmentalization of knowledge. Makes it more difficult to build experience with the whole environment or reach out to other teams.

Advice to Management

Listen to people at the ground-level. Maintain and support your current fleet against new issues discovered in new fleet deployments, instead of trying to fill-in lost capacity due to these issues by building more data centers. You just spread the issue out and increase your ticketing queues.

The people on the ground-level know what the problems are. They need support from higher-up to get ANY sort of traction, because their permissions, holistic knowledge, and influence are limited by compartmentalization.

Numbers of resolves DO NOT equal increased capacity. If you incentivize closing tickets instead of fixing the issue, then you create a culture where it is JUST about resolving tickets, not fixing the issue. Foisting the MyDay system on them only makes things worse. Nobody wanted it and it only hinders communication and makes individual workflow more tedious.

6. "Working at Amazon"

Current Employee - Unknown in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Unknown in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company values its employees and lives by their 14 leadership principles.

Cons

The work environment is very competitive and could seem contentious and feel like friendly fire at times.

7. "Cloud Support Associate"

Current Employee - Cloud Support Associate in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Associate in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super smart people to work with
    Great working environment
    Equal distribution of work load
    Sufficient time and guidance for personal development

Cons

Can use some more money :D

Advice to Management

None ... Great management :)

"The Harvard of Corporate America"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Operations in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Operations in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked with a smarter, more competent and driven group of people than at AWS. Everyone lives and breathes the Amazon leadership principles and there is never a dull moment. It's exciting to have a work an environment that feels like a start-up but has the resources of a blue chip company behind it.

Cons

It's easy to burn out if you're not careful, or to fail in attempting to achieve a work-life-balance, because there are so many cool projects and committees to volunteer on and so many rabbit holes to go down. You're pretty much in charge of designing your own career path, which can be both thrilling and daunting.

"Excellent hiring process - beyond impressed after starting"

Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Professionalism: I had a good job while looking for other jobs - a luxury, I know: I could afford to be picky. My interview with Amazon Web Services was done at the same time as two other large companies, but Amazon blew me away with their respect for my time, the time they took to get to know me as a candidate, and the quality of questions they asked of me.

2) In a league of their own: The professionalism I saw during the interview process transferred into the workplace. Everyone I have met as come from a highly qualified place and brings to the table serious skills.

3) Work-life balance: In my first half year, I have had a pretty good work-life balance. Things are picking up, but there is still some balance. I don't mind working the extra time as I am well compensated and this is the big leagues.

Cons

Creation out of chaos? It takes a long time to learn who is who at the company, and what org does what. By the time you know the place, it get's reorganized. Other teams may try to do what you do, so you have to be the best. Abstractly, this could yield a very darwinian process where the best teams survive, but organizationally (and from a resources point of view) it seems very inefficient.

Advice to Management

A little too much chaos - resources for new hires beyond the hiring document are a mess. Inside Amazon yields too many irrelevant results and teams share docs via all sorts of different methods. Surprised the use of S3 buckets for storage is not mandated.

"Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with tons of smart yet approachable standards
    - Being a part of the creation of new and emerging technologies
    - A strong emphasis on personal ownership of your work / delegating decision making authority down as low as possible

Cons

- Decentralized decision making approach can make it difficult to coordinate and execute cross-team and cross-organization projects

Showing 67 of 24,506 reviews