Amazon Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "AWSome company, packed with amazing people and challenges"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at AWS, and love the pace of growth and innovation, and the amazing AWS cloud services, as well as the transformational impact we bring into our customers' lives around the world. It's great to be a part of such awesome global force.
    I'm surrounded with highly competent, driven, yet super friendly professionals, who actually want to work all day, every day, to achieve results (yep, I find it rare and highly beneficial).
    I love the challenges we get to solve on daily basis - never get bored.
    Management sets vision and direction, and trusts that you'll take the initiative to implement it to your best judgement and ability (no micro-management). They ask what they can do to help every day.
    Arguably led by the best CEO on the planet, great leadership team, flat management structure.
    Great work/life balance - very reasonable performance expectations, giving you a chance to over-achieve them. I choose to work extra hours because I want to achieve more each week, like most around me - but it's not mandatory.
    Great compensation package.

Cons

Not an ideal place for under-achievers! :-)
    Fewer holidays and vacation days than offered by most companies - this is more than compensated by cool events you get to travel to throughout the year

2. "VPC Networking is the foundation of AWS Services"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Groudbreaking projects used by around the world. It feels like we are writing operating system for the next 100 years :-)

One can achieve anything here as long as they have energy and interest.

In my team work/life balance is very good. I don't feel pressure from management to do overtime, we did put more hours in order to release my current project on time.

Cons

Due to the active growth and interns we were in high-density seating during the summer. A new Amazon building will open nearby soon and some teams will move there freeing up space.

3. "Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting and challenging work, I love coming to work every day. Hours are extremely flexible as long as you're getting your work done. Expectations are high but everyone is super smart and helpful so there are a lot of opportunities for mentorship by senior engineers.

Cons

No cons that I can think of some nice to haves would be employer paid family health insurance and maybe free food like some of the other tech companies!

4. "Like Being In A Cult"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, but benefits were awful.

Cons

I have no issue with leadership principles, but EVERYTHING at Amazon revolves around them. The company is too big to function. It was frustrating trying to get anything done. It would take days for the Help Desk to get back to you--even if it was a simple question about how to setup Skype on a Mac. Normally, it would be easy to do this, but because of Amazon's firewall, it couldn't be done. I was shocked Amazon was still using PERL. I wasn't allowed to use PHP at all. Even trying to setup a simple virtual server with Apache was cumbersome.

The tension in the office was unbearable. It literally was like being in a cult. They try to indoctrinate you into eating, sleeping and breathing the Leadership Principles. I also hated the open work environment. It was always extremely loud and I could never focus. It wasn't a fun place to work and the backstabbing was just too much. I also had so much respect for Amazon before working there, but after seeing what it was really like, I lost a lot of respect for Bezos and Amazon. It was an eye-opener.

Advice to Management

Stop using the Leadership Principles as a way to berate employees. Help employees find the info they need to get their job done. Have empathy.

5. "Great introduction in to the tech industry"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really good work environment and great employees

Cons

A lot to learn and that can lead to a few headaches as you ramp up to your position

Advice to Management

The agents know what they are looking for if you need help with new tools and ideas

"Working hard and having fun"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's something new to learn every day. It's a target-rich environment that encourages everyone to make a contribution to the success of your peers and customers. You will never be bored here.

Cons

It's a fast-paced, challenging environment. Every day can't be rainbows and unicorns. It's sometimes hard to keep your focus on long-term goals while fighting tactical battles. But the rewards (monetary and otherwise) are worth staying the course.

Advice to Management

We hire rock stars. Hold the bar high!

"Great Company That Follows Its Leadership Principles"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE working for Amazon! I am apart of the AWS team. Its awesome to work with a highly technical and motivated team. The company culture is like nowhere else. They adhere to the leadership principle and work back from the customer. It's rare to work for a company that puts its customers first and is not concerned with what the market thinks about it.

Cons

The retirement contributions are low compared to the market. The medical coverage is not all that comprehensive compared to other tech companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture as we grow and continue to hire the best and brightest!

"Great place to work for people who have a strong sense of what they want to do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're really working with the brightest and best people
    Pays really well
    Work/life balance is what you want it to be
    Lots of great training available
    You're empowered to do what you want to do

Cons

It's not for everyone - it can be a really stressful and frustrating experience being an environment where you really get to define what your role is when you don't know what it is you want to be doing.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, Amazon does a poor job developing their employees. It's great that your development is entirely up to you, but it's helpful to have a manager or mentor check in with you to make sure the moves you are making are worthwhile. There are many managers at Amazon that have bought in too heavily on the leadership principles and don't connect with their employees regularly, and as a result there are a lot of people walking around totally lost as to what they are supposed to be doing.

"Cloud Support Engineer-Windows"

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Great platform to take ur skills and build it up

Cons

Haven't realize any, fast pacing.

Advice to Management

/...................................................

"As size has grown, so has the politics, who you know matters more than what you know"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant, Professional Services in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant, Professional Services in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Best technology platform, second to none, and leading market position, so great addition to resume from working here standpoint.
    - Cultural values are deeply rooted in everything, so Amazon is certainly doing something right.
    - You really make history and get to have lot of fun....don't take the negatives below to discourage yourself. Company is growing faster than it's able to evolve itself from attending to the needs of their employee "customers" and many things put into the system to make it work fairly don't seem to work all the time.

Cons

- Many Sr. Managers and Directors have achieved promotions through politics or OLRs held away from where "problems" are anticipated. On the surface, system seems fairs and promotes merit based equality, but managers have figured out ways to get around the system. Your manager controls your destiny, including whether to write a promo doc on you, represent you fairly in the OLRs, use recency bias to accentuate a minor episode vs. looking at you holistically, or even speak highly of you when you apply for internal transfers (yes, awkward that without current manager's positive feedback, you're more or less stuck.). Many managers are ill-trained or have never held or been mentored as "people managers" so are not truly savvy enough to grow their employees. They tend to "game" the system to promote themselves by taking credit for others' work, focusing on "hiring" senior level employees vs. developing junior employees into senior roles (as that's hard due to the HR process), and invest more of their time in empire building (e.g. if you're an L6 manager, you'd progress faster to L7 if you have more L6s reporting to you...so you hire from outside by creating new positions vs. promoting from within). This is one of the biggest concerns many employees have (and many leave due to this) that it's easier to come in at a higher level with a fancy resume (e.g. VP tile at a 10-person startup can come into a level higher than someone operating already at that level without title) and successfully navigating 1-day of 5-6 45-min interviews. And managers can set up the loop to their advantage by picking the bar raiser they align with, or picking the people for the loop who they know would favor hiring that employee, etc. However, an employee with credible tenure and documented success wouldn't even be allowed to apply (managers actually select who can apply) be hired into a higher position by design. Which explains the "Hire and Develop" the best value, and not "Develop and Hire" the best. It's very common to see people getting promoted who are in close proximity to HQ or senior leaders.
    - You rarely see HR business partners anywhere; you'd be lucky if you even know you HR BP's name after 4 yrs! They exist mostly to further the interest of managers it seems.

Advice to Management

Size of Amazon and various divisions have grown to the point where it seems higher management is disconnected from what's happening at middle management layer. Attrition is high, and there's absolutely no focus on "Employee Obsession".

Showing 33 of 17,344 reviews