Amazon Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2210 reviews)

• No work life balance because of shift changes (in 457 reviews)

"The Harvard of Corporate America"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Operations in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Operations in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked with a smarter, more competent and driven group of people than at AWS. Everyone lives and breathes the Amazon leadership principles and there is never a dull moment. It's exciting to have a work an environment that feels like a start-up but has the resources of a blue chip company behind it.

Cons

It's easy to burn out if you're not careful, or to fail in attempting to achieve a work-life-balance, because there are so many cool projects and committees to volunteer on and so many rabbit holes to go down. You're pretty much in charge of designing your own career path, which can be both thrilling and daunting.

"Excellent hiring process - beyond impressed after starting"

Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Professionalism: I had a good job while looking for other jobs - a luxury, I know: I could afford to be picky. My interview with Amazon Web Services was done at the same time as two other large companies, but Amazon blew me away with their respect for my time, the time they took to get to know me as a candidate, and the quality of questions they asked of me.

2) In a league of their own: The professionalism I saw during the interview process transferred into the workplace. Everyone I have met as come from a highly qualified place and brings to the table serious skills.

3) Work-life balance: In my first half year, I have had a pretty good work-life balance. Things are picking up, but there is still some balance. I don't mind working the extra time as I am well compensated and this is the big leagues.

Cons

Creation out of chaos? It takes a long time to learn who is who at the company, and what org does what. By the time you know the place, it get's reorganized. Other teams may try to do what you do, so you have to be the best. Abstractly, this could yield a very darwinian process where the best teams survive, but organizationally (and from a resources point of view) it seems very inefficient.

Advice to Management

A little too much chaos - resources for new hires beyond the hiring document are a mess. Inside Amazon yields too many irrelevant results and teams share docs via all sorts of different methods. Surprised the use of S3 buckets for storage is not mandated.

"Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with tons of smart yet approachable standards
    - Being a part of the creation of new and emerging technologies
    - A strong emphasis on personal ownership of your work / delegating decision making authority down as low as possible

Cons

- Decentralized decision making approach can make it difficult to coordinate and execute cross-team and cross-organization projects

4. "AWS Solutions Architect"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing Culture
    - Super helping team mates
    - Liberty of working new techs and things interest you
    - Flexible work hours

Cons

- Little traveling is required since we are #1 cloud provider across the universe

Advice to Management

- Nothing

5. "Associate Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Associate Solution Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Solution Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome manager, good work life balance.

Cons

sometimes you are overwhelmed with the information.

6. "AWS Experience"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility afforded to me working at AWS is bar none. As a working mom flexibility is often the most important thing I look for in a position. I'm able to put my family needs first without sacrificing my job or fearful that I will lose it unlike at my last employer.

Cons

You have to seek for a promotion. It's not a natural progression or based on tenure. You have to search for your next role in the company and since things are based on levels it can be hard sometimes to move from one department to the next.

Advice to Management

A clear growth/promotion pattern that can be easily understood. How does one get from L4 to L5 in a specific department.

7. "Cloud Support Engineer I"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot while working here. The culture is pretty cool here and the work is challenging enough to grow your professional experience.

Cons

I can not think of any at the moment.

"Technical Accounts Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be in a completely different work culture and space is the limit.
    You will be sharpened into the best knife in your field.

Cons

Look up the article on New York Times "wrestling big ideas in a bruising workplace".
    You will get the perfect picture

Advice to Management

Please start looking into abuse from employees related to ethnicity and religion.
    In the name of team spirit a lot of abuse is unreported by site leads and managers.
    Micromanagement is used on employees as a form of disapproval and as punishment.

9. "People Make the Difference"

Current Employee - Principal, Business Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Principal, Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazonians are simply amazing. So many intelligent and creative people who, while confident, remain humble, friendly, and helpful.
    - Depending on your role and experience with AWS, it can take a long time to get up to speed, but that is calculated for new hires with a considerable amount of training and time given to reach the potential that was seen during the interviews.
    - The AWS platform is the most technologically advanced of the CSPs, so learning and gaining experience on it greatly contributes to technical development.
    - The company's culture is customer obsessed for the long-term. Leaders don't make poor decisions for short-term gains, they make decisions based on what's best for the customer (even if it causes short-term loses).
    - The Leadership Principles aren't just posters on walls, they are internalized by everyone and they influence every decision and action. It should be the lead case study for an MBA organizational leadership course.
    - Having a bias for action is encouraged - if you see a need, you are empowered to find and lead a solution. If you accidentally "step on someone's toes", it is met with understanding and encouragement for your actions rather than a negative turf battle.

Cons

- Some teams who have overlapping areas but distributed organizational lanes occasionally become out of sync
    - It can take a while to get up to speed when first starting.

Advice to Management

The management team I've met and interacted with have been phenomenal! I don't have any real advice other than hire more great people to support our growth.

"Better than expected"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open work environment, Challenging tasks, Never boring, interesting projects

Cons

Amazon's size, Custom tools can be confusing, Tribal knowledge, Disorganized documentation

Advice to Management

The SDE role has a very well built and documented onboarding process. The SysEng is lacking in this. Develop a better onboarding program for systems engineers.

Showing 61 of 23,055 reviews