Amazon Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2483 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 518 reviews)

1. "Great Leadership and Many Opportunities"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are tons of career opportunities in Amazon and the leadership is great. Wherever you want to work, whatever you like doing, there will always be a way to get it.

Cons

The benefits and compensation are not up to the others top IT companies.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reputation of brand and hiring process to get in so hard that you are made to believe it was the best thing since apple pie.

Cons

Your total target compensation is fixed at the time of signing for 4 years. Unless the stock does well, there is not a lot of room for upside. Worse case the stock tanks HR tells that they will fix you by issuing additional stock to make you whole to the total target comp per year. If you don't get any additional stock within 4 years your salary goes back to the max allowed.
    Additionally once you join it is not easy to get promoted so you get additional responsibilities and lateral moves which are also considered growth. But promotions are a rare thing.

Advice to Management

Customer obsession is great but there is no people obsession in general whether it is employees or partners unless it is to do with customers so overall strategy sucks. Companies which take care of people will be automatically taken care of and make progress. Rest will ride the wave as long as they can and crumble.

3. "Good if you like to work"

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will never be bored, you are unlikely to be the smartest person in the room

Cons

If you don't manage your time, Amazon will take all of it.

"Be Careful If You Join Mid-Career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, sharp, smart people - most of whom are willing to be helpful, have energy, work hard and are full of team spirit.

Cons

Back-stabbing, internal politics, very little people manager opportunities, jack-of-all-trades approach means you spend lots of time doing menial and unfulfilling tasks you probably did much earlier in your career. Very poorly defined career paths. The most popular level position is filled with tons and tons of people with a huge range of years of experience. Lack of levels and poorly defined positions/roles. If you are early in your career and join, you will probably like it and be energized by culture and work. If you are coming from years at other companies, beware to feel like you've taken a huge step down in your role / nature of day to day work; may find it demeaning and the lack of structure frustrating.

Advice to Management

You will not be able to keep more seasoned people who join if you don't give them responsibilities and respect they deserve and have earned working 20-plus years elsewhere.

5. "Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely high caliber teammates. Leadership principles are real and feel good to practice.

Cons

Work hours. Work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Let employees know it's okay to sleep sometimes.

6. "All in all, 90% great with a 10% chance of falling under poor leadership (stats not accurate to scale)."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

As with most companies, it's the people you work with that make all the difference. With the exception of a few bad apples, working here is great! The culture at AWS is fantastic for moderate to over achievers, and opportunities to grow are moderately available. People are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Felt some shifts in the criteria of the position and some poor leadership choices/leadership in general can make things difficult for those with a positive attitude. There are a few bad apples that have no business in leadership positions.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your current lower/middle management.

7. "Land of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities to explore your interests. You have the freedom to pursue projects you identify as long as you communicate your plans to management. The workforce is very diverse, which leads to a great pool of talent to learn from.

Cons

No tuition reimbursement program outside of the fulfillment centers. Only get six paid holidays in the US. Outside of Seattle, employees don't get paid sick leave, it's deducted from PTO.

Advice to Management

Ensure communication of major changes and explain why.

8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very exciting place to work. Lots of innovation, growth. Professionally engaging and great team environment.

Cons

None at this time for me.

9. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Development Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Development Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, flexible work. Great people to work with. No timecard. Great pay. Lots of time off. No one but you sets your work/life balance.

Cons

No end to the work, there is always more to be done. 10 things need to be done, management knows you can only do 5 so they will ask for you to do 6. No one but you sets your work life balance. (yes this is a pro and a con)

Advice to Management

Communication is always a challenge for a global company. I know its difficult, but you must try harder.

"Misled by the Hype"

Current Employee - Technical Curriculum Developer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Curriculum Developer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had heard all the hype about Amazon being a 'burn 'n churn' environment where people only lasted 2 years at most. I was told that Amazon would take every moment of my life and use me up. NOT TRUE! The majority of my teammates have been with Amazon over that 2-year mark. I have found the environment encouraging and everyone has gone out of their way to help me ramp up and do great work.

Cons

You will be working with the best so you will need to perform. I have always been at the top of my game until working here. I actually find it refreshing to be surounded by so many amazingly smart people.

Showing 83 of 28,344 reviews