Amazon Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Tylond Robertson"

Current Employee - Texas in Brookshire, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Brookshire, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a good team player Vary accountable I'm someone you can rely on I'm helping if see some that's struggling I'm not going to let them struggle I'm whiling to help

Cons

Standing up for awhile

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me the opportunity when no one else wood

2. "Inbound Stow/Amazon Floor Amnesty"

Former Employee - Inbound Stow/Amazon Floor Amnesty in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inbound Stow/Amazon Floor Amnesty in Houston, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules very good in understanding situations mangers very easy to talk to. You get benefits that are very good

Cons

Some employees don't pull there own weight an are lazy but the company still keep them around.

Advice to Management

Helped in maintaining clear traffic routes for robotic drives once in awhile reset them an maintaining them.

3. "Process Assistant"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Fast paced, energetic workplace with an innovative culture.

Cons

Extremely physically demanding. Twelve hour shifts with near constant walking.

Advice to Management

Improve vertices lines of communication.

"They try to motivate and show appreciation to all employees. They keep the energy positive."

Current Employee - Sorter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sorter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job task and if you try something new they don't hold it against you if you mess up.

Cons

The points system is really strict. Want to know if and how u can restore my 6 points. Some wasn't completely my fault.

Advice to Management

Give chances to earn your points that were deducted due to leaving a little early and arriving under 10 minutes late. Something's are beyond our control.

5. "Fulfillment Associate"

Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benifits and schedule, fantastic facilities, and good retirement plan. Offer school accommodations and assistance as well as national and international transfer opportunities.

Cons

The Hou2 location is severely lacking in the management department, almost none of the assistant managers recently promoted have management experience and it shows. Work environment needs improvement because of the aforementioned.

Advice to Management

Train indirect paths that influence production, re-evaluate the promotion requirements, and make information for success more easily available

6. "Stower"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

Cons

There are lots of inexperienced managers

Advice to Management

Work hard, have fun, make history

7. "UTX3 - No Opportunity for Advancement (despite qualifications)"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Wages a bit more than minimum
    Simple tasks

Cons

Unsupportive leadership
    No fixed schedules
    "Hunger Games" - type shift availability /selection process

When leadership, including on-site HR becomes aware of an employee seeking out and applying for advancement opportunities within the organization, problems tend to arise for said employee. Multiple current employees have applied for posted jobs that they are adequately qualified for, yet leadership at UTX3 tends to block those opportunities, by any means necessary. For example, an employee seeking a higher role within Amazon had no disciplinary issues or actions prior to applying for a potential advancement position. This employee had taken all appropriate steps to work shifts, complete tasks assigned, seek out new tasks, thereby asking to learn new assignments, processes and procedures, however, after mastering as much knowledge allowed by current leadership, suddenly disciplinary actions disguised as "coaching" are presented to said employee. An instance occurred regarding attendance that went a little something like this... supervisor approached said employee, indicating there was an issue with some shifts missed. The employee knew that any shifts missed were handled according to the instruction provided by HR, and had proof of taking appropriate action to avoid any attendance problems. Upon presenting leadership with the documented action taken by the employee, the attendance issue was corrected and resolved, as excused and therefore no disciplinary action regarding attendance. Second instance of UTX3 leadership blocking attempts to advance within Amazon was a petty "coaching" action regarding stowing an item on a large shelf (bigs) as opposed to an ambient shelf, 2 full weeks prior to receiving the disciplinary action disguised as "coaching", this action taken suddenly, after knowledge of the employee applying for the advancement opportunity. Turns out that "coaching" is considered a disciplinary action that is attached to an employee file for 90 days, thereby negating any chance for seeking further job opportunities within the organization. To be clear, this employee has not experienced any disciplinary actions ever, prior to the aforementioned scenarios. I am not the only employee that has experienced this leadership blocking mechanism and will not be the last. It is unfortunate that UTX3 leadership is prohibitive to employees seeking advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee advancement
    Support employee advancement
    Refrain from favoritism
    Refrain from petty disciplinary action disguised as "coaching"

8. "Certain types of people might succeed"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth potential, Amazon brand name, and the opportunity to communicate with other Amazon employees

Cons

High pressure, inconsistent treatment of teams and leaders, high risk of termination if they don't like you

Advice to Management

Develop your people instead of pushing them out. If they succeed in one role but not another, consider the potential to move them to something else.

"HOU2"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very attentive with issues being addressed, great hours, and great benefits... Since I been there I have seen more progress within the management team.

Cons

Favoritism of course, and not showing everyone the same respect they would show an CEO. Everyone deserves to feel like their apart of a team, even if you don't feel like their the best worker. Some people are actually there for more then just a pay check and deserves, patience, positive/negative feedback and proper training. One team one dream.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, communication is the key...and great training goes very long ways!!!!

10. "Super simple just for most just the scheduling can be a bit blah,"

Former Employee - IOL DWELL MANAGEMENT PROBLEM SOLVE in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IOL DWELL MANAGEMENT PROBLEM SOLVE in Houston, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome and completely affordable health benefits

Cons

Peak Time mandatory overtime schedules

Advice to Management

none

Showing 55 of 21,675 reviews