Amazon Human Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture
    Growth is encouraged
    Dog friendly offices
    Fun place to work
    Flexible hours

Cons

Work can be challenging - but that’s also a good thing!

2. "Ops OA"

Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon has many perks too many to name but my favorite is the work week set-up. I love working 4-10 hour shifts as it gives you work/life balance. The pay is great and the options for a monthly bonus opportunity is a great incentive for making sure that you do your best and work all of your scheduled shifts. The benefits are some of the best that I have had and I have worked in various industries, so I have something to compare. There is so many growth opportunities and chances to travel and relocate. I could go on and on, but these are some of my favorite

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time. I am completely satisfied with what I have experienced thus far

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Building the Car While Driving It"

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by smart people, truly. And the tag line of customer obsession isn't just spin, like 'make sure we make money so we can keep prices down as a secondary benefit to our profits,' as I've experienced at other companies. We actually do work backwards from the customer and move ~mountains to try and make things happen for the customer benefit.

Cons

We really are building the car as we're driving it, and that can be very, very frustrating when everything seems to go wrong simultaneously...

Advice to Management

Don't launch something when a LARGE change is made the last afternoon of testing.

4. "Senior HR Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon has a great culture of innovation that is great for long-term career growth. The opportunities to do something interesting and challenging are everywhere.

Cons

For a technology company, the HR systems are inadequate or non-existent. There is so much potential to do cool and fun work, but it's hard to make time for it because of the bandwidth going towards administrative processes.

Advice to Management

Extend customer obsession to employees. We are customers too.

5. "HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Amazon for almost 4 years. I get to work with some of the smartest and innovative people on the planet. Amazon has made me better in everything I do. I came to Amazon looking for an opportunity to stretch and that has happened in every way. As an HR professional, I have to be open and objective. But, Amazon has stretched those skills, too. No problem or idea is too big or too small at Amazon. We're encouraged to think of better and more efficient ways to do everything. Nothing is off limits. Amazon is an environment for people who want to work hard and who want to do their best. I've had the chance to do that here.

Some describe Amazon's environment as tough and work hours intensive. I would challenge that and describe Amazon as an honest environment with open and frequent feedback. The number of hours you work at Amazon can be intense, but we play hard, too. I also think the number of hours we work is sometimes self imposed. When my friends and family ask me about whether or not Amazon would be a good fit for them, I balance my answer by what I know about them and not Amazon. If I know them to be hard workers with high standards and someone who consistently stretches themselves (raises the bar), I tell them they should come to Amazon tomorrow. If, however, I know them to like do things the easy way or to settle for "okay" in the things they do, I tell them that Amazon may not be a good fit for them.

Cons

Amazon is a large place and it's easy to get lost. You'll have to actively work to get to know people outside of your team. Amazon has a lot of Connections groups to help with this, but you have to make the time to do it. Amazon's Seattle location leaves a lot to be desired where diversity in ethnicity is concerned. The Seattle area has a very small population of people of color. So, living in the area can be a bit isolating.

The cost of living in Seattle can also be a shock. Be sure to do your research.

Amazon, and other large companies in the area, don't seem to be doing enough to help with the homeless population in Seattle. This responsibility probably shouldn't fall to private companies, but their growth is what drives the cost of living, which drives homelessness. The homeless population also affects Amazon employees who aren't from areas with large homeless populations. I've been here for almost 4 years and I'm still uncomfortable with the tent camps, solicitation in the downtown area, and the fact that people are in need.

Advice to Management

My only advice is around the compensation model for a weird reason. Our shares have outperformed what any of us could have guessed. This leads to employees not getting increases because their share value has doubled or quadrupled. This is the toughest thing to explain to employees who are doing a wonderful job.

It's a good problem to have, but employees don't always get it and still want more even when they are earning way more than originally planned.

"Senior Human Resources Assistant - Know What You're Getting Yourself Into"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant

I worked at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay wasn't amazing, especially the fact they pay the same for this position no matter what geographical area you're in, but base pay + signing bonus was on par with similar entry level jobs' base pay.
    - Looks great on a resume.
    - You will get really good experience which your other friends in HR will likely not be doing in their first job- interviewing, terminations, conducting ER investigations (sexual harassment, theft, etc.).
    - Generally young co-workers.
    - Very casual dress-code- jeans, sneakers, leggings, whatever is generally fine.

Cons

- For a company the size of Amazon, the career development opportunities are horrible. There is no clear path to promotion or even a lateral transfer. No one knows how you get promoted here - and the answer to that question changes every day. They do have an internal job site, however, I applied to a multitude of jobs and got no response.
    - The attrition out of this place is terrible, which becomes very discouraging. In the 1 year I worked there, I had multiple of my managers and teammates leave the company, and not to mention the turnover in Operations as well. Senior management gives a very "oh well" attitude to attrition - because it is so common. I guess at a company like Amazon, the immense cost of losing your employees simply does not matter.
    - In the FC, HR ends up doing the random jobs that no one wants to do - taking notes in general meetings, planning random events, etc. A lot of things that end up becoming "HR owned", would have nothing to do with HR in other companies.
    - The FC tends to be very "scrappy" and it's not for everyone. You will likely not have your own desk, employees will scream at you, etc. It is MUCH different from corporate HR.
    - Work-life balance is poor.
    - Schedules are pretty bad- unless you like working nights, weekends, and holidays...
    - This is a non-exempt position. Good because you get paid overtime, bad because you're really not doing non-exempt-level work. This is a true HR Generalist position and title/exemption status should reflect to show that.
    - Being told you're doing a "great job" and then receiving a 1% increase makes no sense.... when the inflation rate is 2.2%, a 1% yearly increase is a decrease..... How is this difficult for a company like Amazon to understand?
    - No performance bonuses - guess they don't agree with pay for performance, they just do claw-back signing bonuses & RSUs to keep you there :)

I ended up leaving Amazon for a better career opportunity because I was simply too unhappy there. I don't regret the year I spent here - it was all good experience.

Advice to Management

Learn why your people are leaving, listen to them, work to fix their issues. There is no point of an "open door policy" if you don't care to make the changes.

7. "Focus is on non-exempt engagement and no value for exempt leaders"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with some of the smartest and hard working Leaders in your career who care deeply and are passionate about the work they do. The stock is also a phenomenal bonus.

Cons

Lack of work-life harmony for anyone that is not a warehouse employee. There is a culture of worshiping the non-exempt employees, while there is no engagement or value for the exempt leaders.

Advice to Management

Pay your internals more, especially those that have been there before the stock sky-rocketed - they are the ones that are committed to your company.

8. "Opportunities, but bad work life balance"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience
    Lots to learn

Cons

bad work life balance
    stressful job

"FC is Not the Place for Experienced HR"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and health benefits. Fast development model. Look to hire the best for roles higher than tier I.

Cons

Company doesn’t screen applicants for FC besides basic background and drug screen. So many associates come in and just don’t want to come to work. FC HR ends up having to deal with basic employee relations and attendance management majority of time. Benefits administration, LOA, many other functions are decentralized so not truly the spot for a HR Generalist.

Advice to Management

So much focus on associate engagement and retention that support roles are forgotten. Don’t forget the constant beating that support roles have to endure because management will send all problems to support’s way to deal with. Many support roles in the FC are not given the same consideration as associates and other leadership.

"HR Leadership"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity in HR for those that do not have prior HR experience, especially if you willingly and without question drink the koolaid.
    Amazon prefers to train inexperienced people their way because Amazon is always right (legal or not).

Cons

Horrible culture in the traditional non-sort facilities (I can’t speak for the other building types). You must know the right people to be successful, and you must be prepared to step on anyone in your way. If you value ethics and integrity, I do not recommend Amazon.

Advice to Management

It is great that Amazon is “a great place to work” as far as the public knows (they just don’t know this only pertains to Seattle) but it might be time to check out what happens inside the facility.