Amazon Human Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2528 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 523 reviews)

1. "Sr. HR Assistant Intern"

Former Intern - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Patterson, CA
    Former Intern - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Patterson, CA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very independent internship
    - Hands-on; you're a part of almost all operations within the warehouse

Cons

- you get what you put into it; majority of the projects you have responsibility over are things you need to actively pursue

2. "Needs Stronger Focus on People"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Learn a lot, fast
    -Compensation, benefits, etc.
    -Smart, talented coworkers

Cons

-Lack of support across departments
    -Impossible to achieve a day's work in a day
    -Unwarranted disrespect from associates

Advice to Management

Too much focus on metrics, not enough focus on the people. I understand that every individual department and function has its own goals to hit, but these goals should be at the cost of engagement and being a nice person. When you have strong senior management and a caring direct manager, this job can be wonderful. But barriers are everywhere, and having average or poor management makes doing the job nearly impossible.

"Sr. Human Resources Assistant"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only stocks and the experience. You do a lot of things everyday that you'd do once in awhile in the traditional setting.

Cons

Bluntly stated - the job sucks, lol. HRBPs are incompetent and create more stress than solves, though they are "hand-picked" as Behavioral Champions. Lots and lots of bureaucracy. Underpaid for the scale/scope of work you do. ER is out the door when it comes to upper management. Senior Leaders are extremely disrespectful with no leash due to HRBP/HRMs attempting to preserve relationships. Lots of opportunity, just not a feasible/reasonable possibility in securing those opportunities. Internal recruiting process is extremely flawed. This is a crap work role. Most HRAs leave the company/organization and honestly do not promote. You'll enjoy your work for a maximum of 1 year.

Advice to Management

You will eventually run out of excuses to combat the "rumors" in the media. Look inward, performance managers out that need to be performanced and restructure your methods of doing what you do. Managers will be the death of this company.

4. "Absolutely no work life balance."

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Sparrows Point, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Sparrows Point, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, wonderful vision from the top of the company.

Cons

No work life balance, long hours and just a tough place to get motivated

Advice to Management

Could use some “human” in the HR field.

"Amazon Fulfillment Center"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company Benefits
    Competitive Pay
    Associates Voice Matters
    Ample Opportunity for Career Growth
    Stocks on Day 1

Cons

None that I can think of at the most possibly long hours.

Advice to Management

No matter what your skill set is ensure that you take time to always listen and provide respect to any associate you may engage with. By having strong and trusting relationships with your associates you can guarantee success in not just your future but theirs as well.

6. "Human Resource Assistant"

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Chester, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours to work. Make a ton of money.

Cons

You never eat or sleep, you rarely see your family.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture
    Growth is encouraged
    Dog friendly offices
    Fun place to work
    Flexible hours

Cons

Work can be challenging - but that’s also a good thing!

8. "Ops OA"

Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon has many perks too many to name but my favorite is the work week set-up. I love working 4-10 hour shifts as it gives you work/life balance. The pay is great and the options for a monthly bonus opportunity is a great incentive for making sure that you do your best and work all of your scheduled shifts. The benefits are some of the best that I have had and I have worked in various industries, so I have something to compare. There is so many growth opportunities and chances to travel and relocate. I could go on and on, but these are some of my favorite

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time. I am completely satisfied with what I have experienced thus far

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Amazon for almost 4 years. I get to work with some of the smartest and innovative people on the planet. Amazon has made me better in everything I do. I came to Amazon looking for an opportunity to stretch and that has happened in every way. As an HR professional, I have to be open and objective. But, Amazon has stretched those skills, too. No problem or idea is too big or too small at Amazon. We're encouraged to think of better and more efficient ways to do everything. Nothing is off limits. Amazon is an environment for people who want to work hard and who want to do their best. I've had the chance to do that here.

Some describe Amazon's environment as tough and work hours intensive. I would challenge that and describe Amazon as an honest environment with open and frequent feedback. The number of hours you work at Amazon can be intense, but we play hard, too. I also think the number of hours we work is sometimes self imposed. When my friends and family ask me about whether or not Amazon would be a good fit for them, I balance my answer by what I know about them and not Amazon. If I know them to be hard workers with high standards and someone who consistently stretches themselves (raises the bar), I tell them they should come to Amazon tomorrow. If, however, I know them to like do things the easy way or to settle for "okay" in the things they do, I tell them that Amazon may not be a good fit for them.

Cons

Amazon is a large place and it's easy to get lost. You'll have to actively work to get to know people outside of your team. Amazon has a lot of Connections groups to help with this, but you have to make the time to do it. Amazon's Seattle location leaves a lot to be desired where diversity in ethnicity is concerned. The Seattle area has a very small population of people of color. So, living in the area can be a bit isolating.

The cost of living in Seattle can also be a shock. Be sure to do your research.

Amazon, and other large companies in the area, don't seem to be doing enough to help with the homeless population in Seattle. This responsibility probably shouldn't fall to private companies, but their growth is what drives the cost of living, which drives homelessness. The homeless population also affects Amazon employees who aren't from areas with large homeless populations. I've been here for almost 4 years and I'm still uncomfortable with the tent camps, solicitation in the downtown area, and the fact that people are in need.

Advice to Management

My only advice is around the compensation model for a weird reason. Our shares have outperformed what any of us could have guessed. This leads to employees not getting increases because their share value has doubled or quadrupled. This is the toughest thing to explain to employees who are doing a wonderful job.

It's a good problem to have, but employees don't always get it and still want more even when they are earning way more than originally planned.

10. "Building the Car While Driving It"

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by smart people, truly. And the tag line of customer obsession isn't just spin, like 'make sure we make money so we can keep prices down as a secondary benefit to our profits,' as I've experienced at other companies. We actually do work backwards from the customer and move ~mountains to try and make things happen for the customer benefit.

Cons

We really are building the car as we're driving it, and that can be very, very frustrating when everything seems to go wrong simultaneously...

Advice to Management

Don't launch something when a LARGE change is made the last afternoon of testing.