Amazon Human Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Amazon is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pros:
    good benefits
    lots of resources
    mobility
    great opportunities for career growth
    flexible work schedule and ability to work from home (depending on role)
    you are trusted to do your work
    working with advanced technologies
    working with brilliant people and top industry leaders

Cons

Cons:
    work can be hectic, stressful, and challenging

Advice to Management

None

2. "Amazing Company that promotes from within"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Promotions even if you have not been here that long
    -Fun activities throughout the year...not just during peak

Cons

-Hours can get long and tedious

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!!

3. "Couldn't work elsewhere"

Current Employee - Manager (HR) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager (HR) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working here because of the people. I feel like a different person every 90 days because of the personal and professional growth working at this company. The leadership principles tie everyone across the company together. They are used in emails, meetings, papers, etc. and its the secret sauce that allows Amazon to be successful in multiple industries, AWS, TV/Movies, fulfillment, customer service etc.

Cons

Not going to lie, do I wish we had all the perks of free food, gyms, icecream... yes. But then again, I grew up in a household where mom and dad said put on a sweater when home gets cold. There's not culture of excess here and I love that.

4. "Amazon Corporate"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can bring my dog to work. Everyone is friendly. Lots of food options. Amazon is so fast paced everyone is constantly working but then out of the blew someone comes out with a tiki hat and music!

Cons

Having to travel downtown can be difficult if working in corporate. You have to be able to work with sometimes little direction on a project.

5. "Not What I Expected (... better!)"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Respectful culture
    - Great work environment (clean, spacious)
    - Everybody is held to the same high standards
    - Excellent pay and benefits - transportation benefits were a surprise
    - Many development opportunities
    - Creativity is encouraged
    - Treated as an adult
    - Diverse

Cons

- Lots of systems that don't talk to each other
    - There is a lot of Microsoft Word documents and a lot of emailing / printing docs (it's time to go tech!)
    - The promotion process is complex and not streamlined
    - Working fast and being held to such high standards can be exhausting during peak periods

Advice to Management

- Simplify processes - especially the promotions process
    - Remove roles that are not necessary and use that headcount to expand necessary functions

"Substance, Stamina and Smarts are the Key to Success"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in the Tech industry for over 10 years, both in Silicon Valley and Seattle. I can honestly say Amazon is the most innovative place I've ever seen. People here are the some of the smartest on the planet, and they want to make big things happen. People who do well here absolutely have passion for what they do, and a relentless drive to do better. They're not afraid of hard work and rolling up your sleeves to get the job done. It's a scrappy, fast-paced environment, and I love that we are not afraid to try something new every day.

Cons

The pace at which things happen is mind blowing at times, and can be hard to keep up. It's fun and exciting, but you really have to know how to pace yourself or you can easily burn out. This also isn't an environment where you'll feel pampered. It's real, and substance matters more than style. The best idea, no matter where it comes from, is all that matters. Personal accountability is key, and sometimes you feel like you're failing more than you're succeeding. You have to have stamina and grit to get through some of the challenges when you're trying to do something that no one else has before.

Advice to Management

More two-way communications from senior executives would be nice. There's almost no messaging from our senior leaders, and they don't spend enough time inspiring people about where we're going.

"Great for staring career. Do not stay long"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good name for resume. Could be fun depending on your team. Decent pay with sign on bonus and company stock.

Cons

Amazon offered generous stock option, but required to be with them for 4 years. If you went out on leave (except maternity leave), stock will be put on hold. So it will take longer to earn those stock.
    Long hours. Start to work at 5 or 6 am and might not done until 6 or 7 pm (all salaries positions, including HR and any support staff). If you are salaried employee, prepare to work to death. Maybe even on day off. Most salaries employees work at least one day on the weekend. As HR, I have seen senior manager discuss with each other how some people doesn’t work long hour and doesn’t not want to check email on their day off. Those are the one will never be promoted, because they are not available all the times. This is not happened only during peak. I have tried to change this mind set from some senior manager. Unfortunately, hr doesn’t have much voice when decide who to promote. Not all senior manager are the same. However, 4 years with amazon, I only met 1 senior manager that truly care for his employees work life balance.
    Also if you have small children, this will not be the job for you. You will never have time for family. On top of that, pregnant women definitely won’t get a chance at promotion. Although amazon rolled out nee maternity leave, but taking full advance of the leave comes with consequences. I have seen a manager, who was 37 weeks pregnant, worked 14 hours a day. Go home and still answer email at 2 am. It’s not requirement to answer email at 2 am, but if she didn’t, she got a dirty look why it was not done. When she came back from maternity leave, she applied for the ramp back program which provided her with less work schedule (50 %of full-time schedule ). She was in that schedule for a week. She was a burden at the facility. The ramp back schedule just doesn’t work for salaried employee, who is on call 24/7. Again it was not a requirement that written down, but it was an unspoken expectation (especially if you want to be promoted). That was the amazon culture that I got used to. Being hourly employees were little better. Since most hourly employees need to clock in and out at the center, they were not expected to work at home or after they clocked out.
    There is none recognition for HR or salaried manager. We are expected to drive recognition, but get none. I have seen Regional Manager yelled and cursed at his teams during conference meetings, because they didn’t meet number. Regional HR manager was also in the meeting but could not do anything. Nothing happened to him. He might get a warning and got transferred to different region. Nothing changed.
    Corporate HR looked at field HR with different point of view. Very hard to move from field HR (working at the fulfillment center) to corporate hr. During one of my interview for a position at corporate, they mentioned to me that since I worked mostly in the field, I might not fit with corporate culture. So all my previous experiences working in corporate environment with different companies were gone. Not even being consider. The same person also made an expression that field hr was easier. I don’t think that person ever been in a fulfillment center. During a meeting between field hr and Employee Resource Center Manager, he was surprised when we mentioned that our center had 2000 employees. His comment: “you guys have 2000 employees at this place.” The meeting was done off side. Employee resource center worked either in corporate or in India. They answer employee questions via phone or tickets. They have no ideas about certain policies. Everything is refer to site HR. So pretty much useless.

Advice to Management

Fulfillment center is the core business for amazon. Focus on driving engagement that actually work. Set realistic goals. Not everything is a number.

8. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Challenges, Dynamic Environment, Career Progression, Continuous Learning, Flexibility and Mobility

Cons

Long Hours, work life balance

Advice to Management

Stay close to the work life balance aspect

"Don't Join Amazon if you have a Family or want a Good Work / Life Balance"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Coppell, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with are the smartest out there. As a HR Professional you will learn so much and gain many skills. You will be challenged to think, be creative and resolve issues every day. If this place is not for you, at least you will take with you the recognition of working for Amazon and plenty of knowledge along the way.

Cons

There is absolutely no work / life balance. It does not matter if you work for Corporate in Seattle or at a Fulfillment Center. I did see people cry at their desks and I even cried myself due to the stress and non-stop workload that you will face all day, every day of the week. This is specially worse if you work in the night shift as you will get calls during the day while you are asleep or enjoying your time off.

Vacation at Amazon means you have to bring your laptop with you and run daily reports. Also, they will call you while you are off and ask you to work remotely. Be ready to work holidays including July 4th and Thanksgiving. The only Holiday that my Fulfillment Center was closed was on Christmas Day.

I met plenty of Area Managers who were counting the days until they could resign since they received Sign-In Bonuses or they received Relocation Assistance. This is how Amazon puts handcuffs on you to stay with the company.

I only recommend working for Amazon if you are a recent college grad or someone in their 20s with no significant other nor children. If you are a single mother, this is not the place for you since Amazon demands schedule flexibility. One day you may come in at 1pm and leave at 1am, another day you may need to come in at 3pm and leave 2am or come in at 9am after working until midnight the night prior. I only saw my kids on the weekends and even then I would gets calls from Amazon to do some work.

Advice to Management

I don't have any Advice to Management but I do want to advise others to join Amazon only for 2 or 3 years for the experience and to build your resume. After this timeframe you will want to get out due to burnout and exhaustion.

Do not join Amazon thinking that people like me are exaggerating on the lack of work/ life balance. I thought people were over the top when I read similar comments about it but once I joined I realized these comments were true. If you have a child, you better have a stay at home parent. Otherwise, it will not work at all for you. I can guarantee you will neglect your kids after starting a full time role at Amazon. They will never win an award for "Great place for Working Parents / Mothers".

If you see someone on LinkedIn praising Amazon, most likely that's because they have to in order to feel better about themselves, but on the inside they are very miserable. I used to be one of those people praising Amazon on social media (LinkedIn) but on the inside I couldn't wait to quit. I know others still there doing the same, saying how awesome it is to work there but they hate it.

10. "Amazon Corporate"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon treats me like a customer! I feel it is an honor to work here. I love working for a company that is creative, innovative, and full of pioneers.

Cons

I do not see or feel any downsides working for Amazon.