Amazon Human Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Incredible company to work for"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Amazon! I've been here for over a year and it's been great.

Cons

Can be challenging and difficult at times.

2. "Spirit of Amazon"

Current Employee - Human Resources Operations Administrative Assistant in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the diversity and the opportunity to transfer globally.

Cons

Ever changing management, I find it is difficult to establish stability.

Advice to Management

Get to know your team first to understand where the strong and weak areas are in your assigned department before implementing a change process.

"Excellent company for developing leaders at all levels"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feedback rich environment
    High standards and expectation to deliver high quality work
    Unlimited opportunities to grow in your role and expand into new areas

Cons

Its not for everyone. Feedback is very direct and measurable results are expected. We work very hard but I feel we are well compensated for our efforts and there are no limits to the personal and professional growth that we can attain. Leaders are responsible to manage their work/life harmony.

"Sr. HRA"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Avenel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Assistant in Avenel, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace and energetic team members make this a fun place to work. Taking risks and trying some new is encouraged.

Cons

Promotions are few and far between. (Unless you are in FC Operations) You are asked to demonstrate you are working at the next level, with no guarantee your unpaid extra work will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Make sure that ALL departments are promoting their top talent quarterly. The message that Amazon promotes quarterly is not making in happen. Employees need to see that folks are being recognized for their contributions if you want to stop the yearly exodus once folks have finished their year one. Be open to talent from other divisions. There are many talent employees that would be great in another business.

"Senior Human Resources Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a background outside of Human Resources, I learned more about this career field in a few short months than I would have learned at another company in years. It really helped me grow and develop my strengths, along with help me find areas I could improve.

Coworkers are amazing. They are intelligent, hard workers, and supportive of you and the team (at least mine were). The thing I miss most about that job was the friendships I made at work.
    The medical insurance benefits are terrific, and the compensation is really good for one's field.

Three day weekends were incredible! It gave me time to go out and explore the city and do things on my own that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise.

There are so many free perks! Gift cards and prizes during peak season and employee appreciation lunches. If you want to get your SHRM certificate, they even have courses you can take to learn. Mentoring opportunities are endless, and they have week-long corporate trainings to meet other coworkers in your same field from across the U.S. and Canada.

Cons

If you are a person who struggles with uncertainty and desires a need for consistency/stability, this is not the job for you. The minute I felt I had a grasp on how to do something in my job, that task would change or be modified. I have struggled with anxiety and OCD my whole life, and this job made me consider getting medication and counseling for it. Every day towards the end I dreaded going to my job because of the amount of workload, demands, and the feeling that I not contributing anything and that my work was not appreciated.

The environment is truly survival of the fittest. If you can't keep up with the pace, you will be weeded out. People higher up can be very cut-throat to ensure that they hold on to their places of power or leadership.
    Employee issues can be very demanding and overwhelming. Not only do you have to juggle completely daily required reports, but also be the first responder to tough issues such as sexual harassment, employees drunk on the job, verbal aggression, payroll issues, etc. It is hard to put your job on the shelf when going home, especially when some of your employees deal with some really hard home lives.

One-on-ones with managers and online training courses are required to be completed every other week. Although I am completely all for growing and developing, the quick turnaround was not beneficial and seemed more like a chore/something to check off. I gained little from them.

I worked night shift, and I was left alone for three months to run my shift while my manager was out on leave. I hadn't even worked five months yet in my role, and I had to make executive decisions for an entire management team at times when I was still learning the ropes of my department and the company culture. The pressure was too much for me. You truly don't get the same treatment/support on night shift than you do on dayshift, and then managers wonder why you're not growing. I was originally told I would have the opportunity to switch to days after six months in my role, but I was basically lied to. They told me they didn't have an opening anytime soon.
    Night shift means a lack of a social life. If you live alone, you can get very lonely and depressed at times. Make sure you have a strong support system.

Advice to Management

Everyone learns in different ways. Just because your employee does not learn the same way you do does not mean you can be demeaning or act as if they do not contribute to the company. An employee shouldn't have to change who they are and fake a certain personality in order to move up in the ranks at this company.

I was honestly amazed at the manipulation and dishonesty that took place at this company. A company that was once my dream job made me realize I never want to work for a large corporate business like this again.

6. "I love it here!!"

Current Employee - Recruiter, Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter, Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Amazon. My organization and team is extremely supportive in allowing me to pursue projects I am passionate about. As a new grad I have had a lot of guidance and support from organization leaders and can go to them with any ideas or concerns that I have. I feel like the decisions I make and the inputs I express matter to leaders.

Cons

The commute into work is probably the only thing I have issues with.

7. "Pretty, pretty good"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovation in products and process; Leadership Principles are way of life, not platitudes on a wall; No sacred cows; People really want to help

Cons

Lots of duplicated efforts (well intentioned); Like it's namesake, this place is big and can be hard to navigate

Advice to Management

Find ways to help teams communicate cross functionally; If you want to hire 1 million people, figure out how to adapt your peculiar ways to let people in...don't lower the hiring bar, just get better at figuring out what deficits can be coached...there is no such thing as a perfect candidate.

8. "I love working for amazon"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates that work there are nice

Cons

A lot of overtime in peak

Advice to Management

Love it

9. "Nice!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere, Pay, Food, Culture, PAY

Cons

Management, Hectic management, Location, not much mobility

Advice to Management

Less chaotic

10. "Great place to work - as long as you are a hard worker!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do like to have fun! Also, excellent benefits, stock units, company discount online - and monthly bonuses are great! If you like to work, this is the place for you. Hard work is appreciated, expected, and rewarded. TONS of learning opportunities. Upward mobility for those who aim for it. Break rooms have lots of great, affordable options.

Cons

If you can't be on time, don't bother applying. You have to be dedicated. I really don't have any cons. When reading reviews, take into consideration the tone in which they are written. The majority of the "con" issues I have read is from disgruntled associates who can't manage their time or goof off at work and wonder why their managers call them out on it.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding good workers. Also, hold people accountable when they aren't doing their work.