Amazon Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "New Fulfillment Center Comes with Some Missteps"

Current Employee - Fufillment Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Fufillment Associate in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 Days off a week, benefits, paid holidays, everything's new. Management is a good assortment of knowledge and personalities, always approachable.

Cons

Hiring seems to be at a slower pace than what one would expect with peak season around the corner. Expectations for 'critical roles' is not clearly communicated in terms of what jobs need to be completed before associates can leave at end of their shift.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the attrition rate at this type of job. Over-hire and offer VTO if need be. Also, break times should be called out (or yelled out as it typically is in other facilities) by management. Not everyone works in front of a computer / clock. Associates are breaking early or late all the time.

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace, I have been working at amazon for approximately 1 month and I love it. I feel that Amazon genuinely cares about their employees and making sure they get home safely. Even though it is a fast pace workplace environment I do not feel that the managers are trying to rush everyone to work faster. I also like that all of the managers are very understanding, if you make a mistake they work to make sure you don't make it again they do not punish you for making one.

Cons

It is hard work, and can be pretty rough on your body.

"ITS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.....same usual office politics dog eats dog world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

10-12 hour shifts meaning 3 or 4 days off to recuperate, regroup from craziness only having to work 3 days is the best, health insurance from day 3

Cons

negative vibes from 1-3 yr experience employees during onboarding process, from day 1 they say they care but feels like its forced lie, angry if you ask questions, they are just looking for opportunities because they are unhappy where they are at their locations for example out of state Minneapolis/Minnesota whatever, MSP-1. Asking many of them they only got 1-3 years experience...they set the tone and its hard breaking from their negativity. Many of them feel that if they come do this process of getting a new AMAZON up and running which many say they've gotten a few up and running, will lead to a golden ticket of better opportunities, they seem angry they haven't got their big break threatened buy a new hire with more warehouse experience. You have people with more experience as a new hire than these individuals and they dont even know they stuff stinks. As new hires we compared what we were told or trained a lot of us felt we werent trained right or told things left out on purpose. Why train your competition how to the job correctly or even at all? When you tell them that you were never told that they get offensive. For instance an ambassador training we learned even our safety classes we all got different versions where some of us did every task at hand others didn't. Hearing each other notes and trying to help each other finding that none of us were on the same page at all we basically as new hires pulled from each other, other decided to leave and some are talking about quitting now. We as new hires have been trying to help each other and hearing that the Ambassador Trainer said the last group was not so great?? Maybe because the new hire group prior did a lot of helping current new grew out so that they wouldnt have to go thru what we did chaos lack of motivation when they out of state training got us by themselves.
     Who says things like that in a leadership position...again big bosses werent around so anything goes on professionalism right????. Like with any job the powers that be those in charge are getting their info from these people not fact checking. For instance trash was piling up at stations it was a new hire started pulling my trash while managers and trainer were discussing whose job was it cause they hire a company. A new hire she mentioned and suggested take care of it asked where trash bags were as soon as she said that then there was concern only when a new hire brings it up but then MSP-1 trainer jumps on board to "help and take the intiative" (Can't let this new hire out do him)he presents it as his idea to bosses....really? Starts telling hire ups he did this and that

Can get paid more to deal with a lot less in this area

Advice to Management

Have your ducks in row when you hire people for instance these MSP-1 said they drove miles to be hear packed all their stuff to come here....why not promote them before the Launch so they dont take their frustraitions out on new employees of not knowing whats going to happen if they get their transfer or not

4. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

So far Amazon has been an easy company to work for. They have flexible hours, micro managing is low, and the other employees are friendly.

Cons

The only con so far seems to be HR. I had an issue and the HR rep was mocking, condescending, and unempathetic to my need.

5. "A story of a robot at MKC6"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Insurance day one and benefits.

Cons

If you like being micromanaged to the point of being a glorified robot, this is the place for you. To the point of being required to use one hand over another regardless of which hand is dominant.

Advice to Management

I heard you other facilities valued the strength in its individuals you have fallen very short of that metric. If you keep up with it I'm sure even more of you seasoned workers who transferred over will leave.

"I like it. But you have to work hard and work many hours to get recognition. I like the overtime and benefits."

Current Employee - Pantry Associate/Fulfillment Warehouse in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Pantry Associate/Fulfillment Warehouse in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits of wet dental, great medical vision and 401 k are really good, good work out . Offer lunch sometimes. Clean Nice and beautiful environment and break room..

Cons

Long hours,short breaks. Wish we could at least an hour break for working over 10 -11 hours a day along with a 15 min break.

7. "Lift operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Gardner, KS
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Gardner, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No true pros other than free stuff from time to time

Cons

Low pay for hard physical work. Long hours during holiday season

Advice to Management

Quicker pay raises of more than 25 cents at a time

8. "Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycheck - working with lots of people

Cons

Pay package is a trap .... make sure you understand contract and do the math per hour ... when you divide overtime. Your really not making that much.

Advice to Management

Scrap your pay business plan

9. "GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Regional IT Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Regional IT Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon's dedication to the customer and their employees is unprecedented. Training is expected and content is exceptional.

Cons

Growing and moving fast, you have to pedal quickly to keep up. Requires self motivation and liking a quick pace.

Advice to Management

Recognition critical at all levels.

10. "DONT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

Good "busy work" at this location

Cons

PARKING IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. I WALKED OFF THE JOB BECSUSE OF IT. "IF I CANT PARK, I CANT WORK" Im quite happy to find employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Buy that field, pave it, charge $5 a car until you get your money back. Maybe even offer valet service during busy seasons. ( more local job opportunities equals better local economy , etc etc )

Showing 35 of 17,438 reviews