Amazon Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2210 reviews)

• No work life balance because of shift changes (in 457 reviews)

1. "merchandise handler"

Current Employee - Product Handler in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Product Handler in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some pros are #1,4 day wok week,#2 fair pay,#3 good benefits and incentives,#4 matching 401-k plan,#5 you have an endless opportunity for advancement,and #6 stress free work.

Cons

Some cons of the job are #1 In most cases it is a long commute,#2 being promoted often is hinged on computer skills,#3 It is physically taxing work because you are on your feet for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Have a program to train employees computer skills so they can advance in the company.

2. "Reduced Time Warehouse worker"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Real Easy to get hired

Cons

Seems like a really rigid company

3. "Depends on management"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Endless opportunities in all sorts of fields. Rapidly growing company with no signs of slowing down. Taking over the world.

Cons

Depending on what site you work at, management can be fickle. Certain sites, managers really care about your growth, other sites will leave you in the dust the moment they can. Unfortunately, I was at the latter.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people they have all the potential in the world and not develop them into that potential.

"Amazon Sorting"

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay every week and you get to wear whatever you want

Cons

The Trainning was a joke and not very helpful

Advice to Management

Get better Trainers

5. "not to bad"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was fast pace, they gave me options to move around. I started out in stow but once I showed interest in doing indirect roles (like waterspidering and PGing and ambassadoring) they were willing to train me on them.

Cons

There was a shortage of waterspidering and so many times I felt that my abilities (I was a strong problem solver) fell to the wayside. As is the situation in any job, if you dont fit in well with your managers (or PAs) then options will be limited.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on your indirect roles. If they feel taken for granted or mistreated they will leave, or just go back to the direct role and then you are stuck in a cycle of mistreating your indirects.

6. "Really depends on what you prefer"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Considering most positions are unskilled (and incredibly easy) labor jobs, the pay is pretty good, and the benefits are even better.

Though I've seen others say differently, the management at my facility was great.(KC, KS)

Cons

With the easiness of the work comes a dullness. In my position I performed the same 5 second task, over and over, for 11 hours. Of course other positions vary, but not by much in terms of repetition. If that doesn't sound too terrible to you then you have next to nothing to worry about.

"Sortation"

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OK pay. I have heard some locations are better.

Cons

Weird shift hours. Back breaking work. Most people in my section were on work release

"associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very set schedule
    decently good pay

Cons

managers didn't have people skills
    terrible "sick day" policy

Advice to Management

be more personable and understanding

"Ins and Outs of MKC4"

Former Employee - Tier I Associate in Edgerton, KS
    Former Employee - Tier I Associate in Edgerton, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These are not all pros, but more general knowledge you should know when starting at MKC4 (Amazon location in Edgerton, KS). This information is for blue-badge members who are full-time.

1: Starting pay is higher than most general education jobs (almost double the current minimum wage) which starts at $13.00/hr. Pay increases ever 6 months

2. On your official start day (and if you have never worked a job that requires you to be on your feet 90% of the time), prepare for this. Tennis shoes are affordable, but will not fend well on your feet for the first month while you adjust. An investment in Timberland work shoes (around $90-120) are worth the expense, and I found them to be durable, and last at least a year.

3. Understand your benefits: First and foremost, understand that your schedule is like a contract, meaning the hours that you are schedules must be worked, or supplemented with your benefit hours. Personal Time Off (PTO), UPT (unpaid time), VTO (voluntary time off), MyLeave and Vacation are all ways you can make up hours that you may need to miss due to whatever reason.

-PTO: 48/hrs per year, granted with 10/hrs on the first paycheck of employment or first paycheck of the new year, followed by 3.58/hours for 10 pay periods to follow, with 1.1/hrs on the 12th pay period. These hours can be used at any time. Amazon suggest that you save PTO hours to use during PEAK season (Oct-Dec), as sales are increased, resulting in longer work days and mandatory overtime.
    -UPT: 80/hr per year. UPT is granted in 20/hour increments at the start of each quarter (Jan 1, April 1, July 1, Oct 1). UPT is meant for emergency purposes, but can be used as needed. (If an associate used UPT, that will negatively affect their VCP, which will be covered later).
    -VTO: is offered by upper management when the labor cost due to lack of orders needs to be reduced. AA's (Amazon Associates) are able to sign up for VTO at the start (or prior day if offered through the HUB, which is Amazon's online employee portal) in which they will be able to leave mid-shift (or whatever time upper management deems fit) without the need to use UPT, PTO.
    -MyLeave: is a resource that can be used if AAs need to be absent from work for long periods of time. They must be approved before hand.
    -Vacation time: 48/hrs a year. Full-time employees receive 1.53/hrs of vacation time per pay period. Vacation time must be approved by upper management, and cannot be used at any given moment like UPT or PTO.

***Note: Amazon is firm on the policy of attendance. If you cannot make a shift, it MUST be covered either by PTO, UPT, VTO, or vacation if approved. If an AA goes negative on their UPT, it is an automatic dismissal. Be very cautious about our hours. I know it may seem acceptable to use hours that are available to you, but do not risk your employment due to going negative. Save save save your hours.

4: The days are extremely long. Most shifts are 10 hours long per day, with 4 days a week (during regular season, peak season is 60 hours per week). Amazon gives it's AAs (2) 15 minute paid breaks (actually 10 minutes with 5 minute walking time to and from your location). Example of my shift:

0730 - 1000 - Work
    1000-1015 - Break
    1015-1230- Work
    1230 - 1300 - Lunch
    1300-1530- Work
    1530-1545- Break
    1545-1800 - Work

5: Departments: A break down of each department:

Pick - this is a department to be in if you are comfortable driving PIT (vehicle in which to retrieve items). Mind you PIT can mean going 100+ft in the air to retrieve an item, so if you are not good with heights do not do Pick.

IC/QA: If you are an introvert and do not mind driving PIT, this is for you. Like pick IC/QA using PIT to tally inventory throughout the FC (fulfillment center). It's a slower paced position, best for those who are not super speedy.

Dock - Very physical department. Mostly being aTetris player by putting boxes into Trucks so they will fit and maximize space.

Inbound: This department receives items into the FC. They drive PIT, separate items to be stored, and other task. Like IC/QA, this department runs a bit slower.

Outbound/Pack department: This department is to place items to be shipped into boxes. This is the fastest department in the whole FC, and requires a rate of 70 unites boxed per hour. Department is good for those who like a fast-paced environment.

5: VCP: Variable Compensation Package is a bonus plan Amazon gives AAs who show up for their shifts and do not use UPT, and if the FC is meeting it's goals more than expected:
    -Attendance: if you show up to all your shifts(or covered them with vacation or PTO) and do not use UPT, you will receive a 4% bonus for the month. Example: You work 100 hours in the month, took no UPT, and make $13.00/hr, you would receive an addition $52.00.
    -Building Too Plan: If an FC is functions 105%+ to plan (meeting it's goals by 5% or more than expected), AAs will receive an additional 4% bonus. Mind you UPT is not calculated for Building Too Plan, so if you use UPT but the building does 105%+ for the month, you will receive this bonus.
    ***During Peak Season, VCP moves from a potential 8% to 16%.

6: If you like a longer 'weekend', choose either front half or back half shifts when selecting. These shifts run 4 days straight with 3 days off (during regular hours(non-peak). Donut shift is for those who like a little break in between, which shift will run Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri at work, with Wed/Sat/Sun off during regular hours (non-peak)

I wish you the best of luck with Amazon.

Cons

I was not able to manage (as a single male with no children) a work/life balance with donut shift. Working 10-12 hour days with a commute left no time to accomplish anything in the morning or night. Also the task can be dreary with repeating the same task over and over day after day.

Advice to Management

Notice the employee's who thrive, as they may go unnoticed and leave; just as I did.

10. "I want to be done working at Amazon"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon provides access to good health insurance plans, 401k and stock. They do try hard to keep people motivated.

Cons

The work days are long and very hard on you physically - lots of aches and pains due to overuse and repetitive use - and the work is monotonous.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are not robots.

Showing 69 of 23,059 reviews