Amazon Lab126 Operations Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Lab126 Operations Reviews

Operations

4.5
Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • On glass door some have mentioned 'work-life balance' (in 12 reviews)

• Interesting projects and smart people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always good because deadlines can be unrealistic (in 26 reviews)

• And the biggest one of all, No work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Safe Place to Try Out New Ideas and Be Yourself"

Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me personally, this is the best job I have held in my career, and I have been working in Silicon Valley for many years.

Lab126 is mostly transparent, with much less in the way of politics than previous companies. I am on my fourth boss here, but surprisingly all of them have been good to great. I have learned from all of them and they want to improve as leaders.

Cons

The pace is fast and plans change week to week, even day to day. Employees have to learn to be flexible. It's not for everybody. But the company can also be flexible at times. Example: work from home on some Fridays.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees more often. Conduct more All Hands and Town Hall Meetings. There's a lot of good news about Amazon Lab126 and the products we create. Let the workers know about the impact they are making. Tell them about how our work contributes to the success of Amazon. What do customers love about our products? What do they not love? What's coming next?

"Making a turn back towards innovation"

Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After some reorganization and the typical disruption that goes with it, Lab126 seems to be finding its way back towards innovation and delivering cool products.

- There are some products in the pipeline which are designed to delight customers and possibly lead them to develop new habits.
    - There's a good chance some new products will become successful when launched.
    - Work with "whip smart" people, the "best and brightest"
    - Even though the organization has grown from the start-up culture found in 2011, there are opportunities to make your own mark in ways I never imagined back then
    - If you like doing business in China, international travel and culture exchange, this is the place
    - There's a small but well thought out internship plan, at least in Operations; the interns all want to come back after finishing their MBA
    - A new focus on costs means the business will be sustainable in the long run
    - Solid interview process for new hires; even if they're not the right candidate, they're probably an Amazon customer. Everyone tries to make the process a good experience for the candidate, regardless.
    - Focus on demonstrating Amazon leadership values, and this really matters to most people in the company

Cons

- A new focus on costs means ideas have to pass a thorough debate with management before they can be executed, and some who propose the ideas aren't passionate enough to see the process through; some innovations might not make the cut without a business case
    - If you really want to be successful at the senior management level, at some point you will need to establish a network with other leaders in Seattle; some people won't want to make the effort due to geographic separation from Silicon Valley
    - International travel is on an economy class ticket (but hotels are nice)
    - You will not be coddled with free food, massages, barista drinks, etc. If that's a big deal for you, you'll be disappointed.

Advice to Management

- Some people here on Glassdoor complain about "politics" at Lab126, but instead of complaining, try doing something about it like reach out to other leaders in the company and influence outcomes (same goes for employees at all levels)
    - Spend more time developing a company culture which improves the day to day experience of employees; make them feel a part of something special

"I have worked here for several years and still look forward to coming to work each day. Must be doing something right."

Current Employee - Senior Operations Leader in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Leader in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative (magical) new products that push the boundaries and surprise and delight customers. Great leadership driven by a visionary CEO who continues to make us think out-of-the-box.

Cons

Working on products that include leading edge technology that needs to make it into robust high volume manufacturing can be challenging and involve long hours however the satisfaction when you see the product announced overrides that quickly.

Advice to Management

Pushing technology is great to work on and fun to see in a product but we must not forget that it needs to have a real or perceived benefit to customers and not be technology for technologies sake.

"What a mess"

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay, good hiring bonus

Cons

Lousy health benefits, big company trying to operate in start up mode with no sense of direction.

Advice to Management

Get your house in order. You shouldn't have to send 30 people to China for every product build.