Amazon Reviews in London, UK | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, independent working, travelling, mobility, opportunities

Cons

remuneration packages for internal moves and promotions

2. "The Corporate Job that Runs Like a Start Up"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazon is huge but having worked for large corporates and also start ups this feels like a start up company. There is energy and a desire not to stand still.
    - Salary and Benefits are good. They won't blow you away but they offer a very fair package.

Cons

- Steep learning curve with very unique and detailed culture and lots of acronyms
    - Not a 'con' by any means but be sure you are comfortable with conducting your high end business in a university campus style enviornment - no dress code, hot desking, flexi working spaces etc.

3. "Amazon in my words"

Current Employee - EU Operations Development Partner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - EU Operations Development Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great potential for growth
    always changing and expanding
    we pioneer , great room to innovate and simplify

Cons

it is like a kid who is growing very fast and running out of clothes :-)
    Sometimes it stretched to your boundaries

Advice to Management

flourish your experience population and bring them to management as new pair of eyes are great but balance is important. we need senior leader promoted internally.

4. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon promotes customer obsession and this definitely filters through from Senior Leadership down.
    Amazon offer a great overall package to their employees
    L&D have budgets to put employees on both internal and external courses

Cons

Holiday embargo around Prime Week and During Christmas

5. "Flexible Hours, Flexible Shifts"

Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible shift patterns, i.e 5am-10am, 7am-12pm, 12pm-5pm, 5pm-10pm. Plenty of overtime available just have to apply on the website. Friendly, easy going, potential for permanant position after 13 weeks. Different job roles, variety in your work. Treats and £20+ gift vouchers available on occasions.

Cons

The pay is kinda average £8.00 per hour, no bonus or incentives for high pick rates, short break 20 minutes (including time to and from break area)

Advice to Management

Health and safety- treat employees as individuals not everyone needs to wear PPE in the chill section, some of us like the cold.

6. "A place to learn, grow, and work on stuff everyone uses!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Constant new challenges
    -Autonomy to make decisions and drive results
    -Flexibility to move around in your career, trying out new roles and industries
    -Work on relevant projects that your friends/family are using
    -Make your path, great place for driven motivated individuals (on the flip side, if you want a place where the career path is easily mapped out, this is not the place for you - your career is what you make of it)

Cons

- Some long tenured Amazonians can get a bit stuck in their ways (not always the case, but i've seen it a couple times)
    - Promotions can be a bit too tied to tenure in role, especially at early L4, L5, L6 levels

Advice to Management

- More training around being successful at different levels. Example - writing is critical as you get more senior. Think Big is another skill set that becomes more critical.

7. "Working at the Most Innovative Company for Customers"

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with some of the brightest people in the industry
    - Working on innovative projects that matter and that impact people's lives today
    - Flexibility to transfer to different roles and different countries
    - Flexibility to work from home or other arrangements
    - Have access to Beta testing new services/products that the company is developing
    - Great culture if you like to work hard and constantly challenge yourself
    - Company stock and competitive salaries

Cons

- Promotion processes are not transparent and can cause some level of anxiety among employees although there have been suggested improvements recently
    - Constantly being surrounded by bright people and challenging projects can be overwhelming at times
    - Work life balance is not great - you're in for the long hours, Friday nights and weekends if your role has direct impact on customers or you're working on big launches
    - Hierarchy - the higher your level in the org the quickest you'll manage to get things done and people to reply to you
    - Hiring decisions - Amazon chooses to hire from external companies rather than promote qualified Amazonians to fill certain positions which can generate frustrations internally

8. "What's it like to work at Amazon's London corporate office"

Current Employee - EU Head of Business Excellence in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - EU Head of Business Excellence in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by super smart people, in a business that has a great attitude to continuous improvement and self development. There is so much diversity which I love, people from all types of backgrounds and cultures, and the culture is hands down the best I have ever come across in 20+ years of working in retail. I actually look forward to coming to work!

Cons

If you struggle with analytics then you are likely to struggle at Amazon

Advice to Management

Amazon's company culture is true to how it began, and an amazing job has been done in keeping this alive, please continue to do that.

9. "Best company I have worked for yet"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Amazon, you own your own destiny. You are given the framework within which to work, the Amazon Leadership Principals, and given autonomy to get results, in your own style. Leaders lead and they don't manage. We are challenged to think big, innovate and we are allowed to fail. Now working for Amazon, I am approached daily with job opportunities, from some of the best companies on the plant, but I am not interested in leaving Amazon any time soon.

Cons

Some of my friends view Amazon, Facebook, Google et al as not good for the planet and small businesses, the little guys. Personally I think Amazon is just change, a new way of doing business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "UK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a challenging environment but in the right way as we are always striving to do what is best for our customers.
    I work in an area that allows a high degree of autonomy and flexibility which allows a good work life balance.
    The people are great and nobody says 'that's not my job'
    If you work hard and are prepared to voice a constructive opinion, it is listened to and allows you to take advantage of the vast opportunity for progression.
    White papers are used instead of Powerpoint which is a great discipline

Cons

Some of the internal systems are not so good as the investment is on the external systems.

Advice to Management

Understand and don't underestimate the work that goes into creating a white paper for senior management visits. It can become a huge undertaking.

Showing 183 of 17,322 reviews