Amazon Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

1. "Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engagement
    Abundance of Resources
    Positive Culture
    Create your own development path
    Growth and Development

Cons

Work Life Balance can be tough to manage the first few months

Advice to Management

Create a Standard on board training program for all Managers

2. "FC Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, High opportunity for growth, challenging environment, diverse workforce, multiple industries or experience, Customer centered, unique work schedules,has potential for long term growth, innovative and forward thinking, great pay and benefits.

Cons

Can be high stress environment and pace not for everyone. You must be prepared to be accountable and not take failure personally. You will try and fail multiple times. Recognition is not easily given, you need to find recognize your own efforts.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to take risks, don't get comfortable, always challenge yourself.

3. "Amazing."

Former Employee - Price Chopper in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Price Chopper in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get good benefits. The work is interesting. There is no reason to get bored at work. You have perks as a student working there.

Cons

Work schedule is not fixed. Might have to work long hours during weekdays specially at the beginning of fall and spring semester.

4. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-fast past and exciting atmosphere
    -smart and hardworking coworkers
    -cool intern networking events

Cons

-stressful atmosphere
    -the executive/assistant power dynamic was pretty uncomfortable
    -long long hours for full time employees

Advice to Management

They need to hire more to keep up with the growth

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Amazon Fresh Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Amazon Fresh Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

Guaranteed work. Overtime always a plus. Clean work environment.

Cons

Poor treatment of employees. Lack of communication with HR and employees. Disorganized and chaotic. Needs restructuring from the top down. Forced worked shifts due to other employees taking personal time off. Unfair protocol with overtime and breaks.

Advice to Management

Don't be robots. Listen to employee concerns.

"Think carefully before accepting a position at Amazon Fulfillment Centers."

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is quite high. Be mindful though and do the math... most compensation is tied to tenure ...from signing bonuses, for RSUs (restricted stock units), as well as yearly increases all are tied to a vesting schedule that is up to 4 years long on most occasions. We do this for two reasons... 1) retention is horrifically low at fulfillment centers so anything to incentivize tenure (we're not above bribery!). 2) The vast majority of Amazon managers have very short tenures at Amazon, so few make it through to the end of their vesting schedule and they therefor never realize their full compensation. So it's easy to offer a high rate of pay when one knows most managers will never realize their full compensation.

The ego boost for working for such a respected brand is enticing. Amazon is fully aware of this and will leverage it as needed.

Promotional opportunities exist if you are willing to relocate.

You will work with some really bright folks who are driven and motivated.

Cons

Be aware of what you see online (Linkedin, Facebook, Web career site, etc.) about community involvement, volunteerism, corprate team building exercises and the 'look at how much fun we are having and how amazing it is to work here!!!' vibe is/are 100% corporate ativities. They do not exist in the field, in any capacity, whatsoever. It's simply marketing to entice candidates.

Amazon is a 24/7/365 business. So expect to work overnights as well. Yes the recruiter will deftly avoid answering schedule questions, yes even if you are lucky enough to initially get a coveted day shift. Yes regardless of your kids, husband/wife's schedule. Reality is people transfer, resign or get promoted all at breakneck speed at Amazon which means in very short order there will be a vacancy on overnight that needs to be filled... you can protest but it won't do much good.

Communication is sorely lacking. Communication to help shape a common purpose or best practices or really anything is almost non-existent in the Amazon Fresh business. It doesn't exist in the business as a whole nor in any building I've worked in.

Zero work life balance. I've heard rumors that Jeff Bezos himself said he hates that term. The culture reflects that.

Within a Fulfillment Center you will never work less than a 12hr day. My experience is that 14hr-16hr days for myself and my peers is the expectation and the norm. That is 5 days a week and you can expect your boss to call/email/text you on your days 'off'. By the way this is in no way tied to a peek season schedule.... this has been the norm my whole time at Amazon whether it's December or June. Keep in mind that you will be on your feet almost the entire 12-16hr shift there are no offices (nor almost any tables or chairs) in Amazon Fresh buildings. Kind of a funny aside... people at Amazon (due to work schedule and stress I believe) all look older than they are. There are plenty of red sunken eyes, heavy heads, premature wrinkles really just general body language that screams 'I'm tired'.

One of Amazon's Leadership Principles is 'Frugality'. Generally a good principal to live by, I believe. It is a negative though as it pertains to associate incentives, moral and recognition at Amazon Fresh. No matter how hard folks work on completing some genuinely difficult projects or tasks there is a miniscule budget to run contests or recognize outstanding contribution. You would hope that someone in Seattle would acknowledge that an occasional pizza party won't impact profitability terribly and can just be a genuinely thoughtful gesture that would be appreciated. But alas that is not the case.

I could go on about a number of other 'con's but in short... Amazon treats its employees (from associates to level 7+ managers) as commodities to be exploited. Chances are excellent this work will cause you and your family significant stress due to extremely long hours and time away from home. Even during your limited time away from work you will be so tired and fried that you will be a mere shell of your former self.

If you are prepared to basically give up a personal life, family, vacation, working out ...really everything not Amazon related and pick up an oar on a 1st century ship crossing the ocean than Amazon is for you. After all the money is good. You might be that one in a hundred who has a fulfilling career in an FC but chances are excellent you will dislike the job and if you can afford to, you will leave as so many before you have. Good luck you beautiful, unique, amazing snowflake if you decide to join!

Advice to Management

Giving people a common purpose, better communication and a mere semblance of time off work will in the long term only benefit the organization.

"Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get the freedom to think outside the box and innovate for customers without being bound by undue process.

I feel like, I am trusted and once I am abide by our leadership principles I can make decisions in a timely manner without having to jump through hoops of beauacracy.

Lastly, I work with some incredible people, every day I learn from the people around me and this is the most rewarding part of working for Amazon.

Cons

I dont really have any, not a con big enough to talk about as a detractors. There are definitely some minor frustrations as with every company but you get on with things and do what's right for customers.

Advice to Management

Work endlessly to keep the Amazon culture in AWS as we grow so quickly.

8. "Great place to work at"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management
    Good work life balance
    Mobility

Cons

Long hours
    Training is not sufficient

"Not a bad place"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of ownership. You will NOT be a cog in the machine here, you will be given responsibilities at 1-2 levels above your position. You will actually get to own what you're working on.
    - All star cast. You will work with the best and the brightest. You will be challenged constantly and learn from the leaders in your given field.
    - Data driven culture. Decisions are not driven by the person with the highest title, they are driven behind quantifiable metrics.
    - Spirit of experimentation. They are not afraid to take risks at Amazon. They think like a startup -- try things and fail fast.

Cons

- Lots of Ownership. You cannot pass the buck here, the down side of ownership is that there is more stress and potentially more time invested. If you want to succeed, you need to be scrappy and do whatever it takes to make your area of ownership win.
    - Frugality. You won't get catered lunches or snack kitchens here. But remember, you'll likely be a shareholder if you join. What would you rather invest in, a taco bar or the business itself?

Advice to Management

Continue to keep everyone's eye's on the prize.

10. "Great for Your Resume, But Not a Long Term Company"

Current Employee - Senior HRA in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior HRA in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock grants (vested scheduled) are a big reason to stay. The further you move up, the more you are granted.

Cons

Extremely competitive in a way where you can often not trust your teammates and management. A lot of favoritism, so you have to buddy up to the right people even if your work/performance is stellar. If you are a salaried employee, you often will work so much overtime that, when calculating it out, you may be making just above minimum wage. Internal promotions do not receive good cash incentives, but instead offer stocks on a vesting schedule.

Showing 43 of 17,325 reviews