Amazon Manager In Training Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work life balance is a struggle" (in 2687 reviews)

• "No work/life balance for most employees" (in 549 reviews)

1. "Training Program Manager"

Current Employee - Training Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Training Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with the best and brightest employees at all levels. People are ambitious and are always thinking ahead of the curve. Being innovative but for the right reasons is how things progress and working in a collaborative an inclusive environment make it fun!

Cons

Doing more with less is a challenge and with little direction. It's not the perfect place for everyone unless you like the challenge.

2. "Amazon wants their customers, external as well as internal to have the best experience possible!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Training Manager in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Training Manager in Huntington, WV

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazon really does allow you to help the customer and provides the tools and support to do your best!

Cons

Upper level of management can experience being a target if you don't agree with the the majority. Backbone is not appreciated in the customer service call centers.

Advice to Management

Build relationships, but remember you are judged yearly against your peers. This can lead to sabotage and backstabbing. Documentation is key.

3. "It's all about the leadership principles."

Current Employee - Global Alexa Training Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Global Alexa Training Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership principles are not just words that we talk about in training and onboarding, we use them every day in meetings, decisions, and our work. It's refreshing to be someplace where they actually mean what truly live by those principles.

Cons

It's fast paced and, despite the size, is extremely scrappy. There are not a lot of formalized processes--if you need something done, you do it. Also, a bad manager can ruin your experience, whereas a good manager makes all the difference.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--and get rid of those bad managers.

4. "Training Program Manager"

Current Employee - Training Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Training Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative workplace where things happen fast! People are effective, efficient, intelligent, and calculated. Communication is direct and we are always moving forward.

Cons

Management can be scattered (employment gaps in management) and may not understand how to manage people. If you are an amazing individual contributor the next step is to become a manager even if you are not equipped to be one or not interested in being one. The pros are also the cons so people work hard and sometimes long but if you learn to be effective that helps.

Advice to Management

Learn how to build your employees rather than assume they should be exactly like you. Put yourself in their shoes and ask questions to understand what is going on rather than assuming.

5. "Doesnt live up to the expectations"

Current Employee - Training Manager in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is exciting, scope to do a lot, the pay is fine, additional benefits are fine, very dynamic

Cons

work culture, weak leadership, very dynamic and not transparent

Advice to Management

You should have separate timely connects with new hires (not associates but managers) as there is a lot of workplace bullying. I am 6 months old here with no skips, dont trust my leadership to take any action and already planning to quit as soon as I finish 1 year. The stint has been terrible!