Amazon Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 116 reviews

3.6
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
  1. "This is not your parent's typical corporate gig"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazon looks for 'general athletes' that can pivot and address many different types of issues. This keeps my job interesting and self-directed. Amazon expects employees to look for and take novel approaches to problem solving. If you like to be told exactly what to do, this is not the place for you. Here you do your research, ask for advice, do tests, and decide on your own. You build your own projects and use metrics...

Cons

Onboarding is almost as self-directed as any other aspect of working here. Need help setting up your desk? Good luck buddy, you'll need it when finding IT help. Training in my area is basically about 2 week's worth of videos and quizzes teaching you the basics of the app-like tools and the about the culture of Amazon. Ramping up is fast and hard but if you're a general athlete, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Run a skills assessment on new employees to understand functional areas that new hires might need to develop.

Amazon2019-08-12

"It's a house of cards"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn a lot, smart people, opportunity to write and share good ideas, self-serve environment

Cons

Not enough collaboration, lacking time and support to develop career, poor work life balance, decentralized to a fault, frugality does not help

Advice to Management

You have hired excellent people, they want to do well! Support their drive and ambition by giving them the time and resources they need to push through some good ideas. Do less and do it better. Give us down time to come back to work feeling motivated and eager to do a good job. Nobody does well when they are tired, depleted and burned out. Let us be thoughtful and intentional. Dish out compliments the same way you dish...

Amazon2019-08-01
  3. "I hope you like to work on meaningless projects"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employment, Pay, Stock, Smart people Standing desks

Cons

Torturous Long hours Poor management Toxic White male dominated

Advice to Management

Get better Diversify More efficiently allocate resources Follow through with hr actions

Amazon2019-07-05

"There is no perfect job"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great internal mobility and tons of opportunity to work on interesting projects with the most brilliant people.

Cons

Hard to maintain a good work-life balance in high profile/performing teams. And low accountability/satisfaction on some slower teams

Amazon2019-05-31
  5. "Fun if you like to build!"

Current Employee - Partner Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of people working on projects to better the customer experience. Everyone is willing to provide feedback or sometimes resources to help. Just be prepared for people to be pretty matter-of-fact in their feedback on your work. It really is in the interest of making it better.

Cons

It’s entirely possible that you’re working on a fix to a problem that someone else is also working on. It can also be humbling to discover that your “unique” fix idea may not be all that unique. Only a con if you aren’t prepared to adjust on the fly.

Amazon2019-05-16
  6. "Great place for certain personalities/work-styles"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great place to move laterally into new roles and learn new industries - Fast paced and functions like a start-up

Cons

- Low compensation compared to other tech companies - Lack of visibility for promotions - Sacrifices proper planning and infrastructure in favor of speed (can be a pro if you thrive in a constant state of ambiguity) - Tools and systems are often launched for speed, but lack proper forethought which then falls on the employee to troubleshoot work around

Amazon2019-05-29

"Don't believe everything you hear"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I came from Microsoft to Amazon and feared I had made the wrong move. But its honestly the best move of my career. I've had nothing but an amazing experience from flexible work hours to challenging projects with incredibly smart people. The culture is way better that Microsoft, I love that everyone has a voice here.

Cons

Its big! And sometimes hard to navigate

Amazon2019-04-29
  8. "Great Experience So Far"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started at Amazon a week ago in the Freetime team in Devices. I am having such a great experience in my onboarding. My team is fantastic and has been very helpful. I was worried before I started because of the news yet everything I experienced so far is great.

Cons

Not that I have encountered until now. May be not having catered lunch as my previous employer yet I guess the positive side to it is to be able to support the local community by purchasing food there.

Amazon2019-04-15

"A great learning ground"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a dynamic element at Amazon that mirrors startup culture... but with extra resources. Scrappiness is valued as is innovative thinking.

Cons

Work/ life balance is an issue, but no moreso than at most companies. Amazon reflects both the best and worst of modern corporate culture.

Amazon2019-04-02
  10. "A Challenging Environment for those that fit the Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast pace and challenging environment. If you like change it is a great place to be.

Cons

Change is constant, so you need to be comfortable with that. It is not a company that values soft skills, so don't expect that type of company culture.

Amazon2019-03-23