Amazon Reviews in Minneapolis, MN | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Amazon a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very focused on the customer and bias for action. Really enjoy the freedom I have to do the right thing.

Cons

Given it's growing so fast - can seem to be chaotic at times.

2. "Amnesty"

Current Employee - Amnesty in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Amnesty in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid time off, Productivity bonus, Chances to move inside Amazon

Cons

Lots of walking required. Physical job.

3. "Global Account Manager"

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What is so core to Amazon is Our Leadership Principles. I've worked at 3 other Fortune 500 Companies and none embraced their values, their tenants, their principles like Amazon. Our Leadership Principals are truly part of our DNA. My favorite - like so many here at Amazon - is Customer Obsession. We don't just talk about the customer as the guiding light or doing what is right by the customer; we start with the customer and work backward. We work on behalf of our customers to improve our services, our products, our customer experience. It is part of what makes working here so much fun!

Cons

It's hard for me to come up with a con as the hardest thing for me to do is to keep up with the pace of innovation. What an awesome problem to have!

I should address work / life balance as many have this concern. What is key here is doing something that you really enjoy. If you don't enjoy what you do, it will pull you down. If you enjoy what you do, it will inspire & energize you. There are so many opportunities across Amazon; find something that will inspire you!

Advice to Management

Please continue the Amazon Training Talks. They are of such great value because they review the technology, the vision & the business implications. Gives me what I need to know our products & services, & to bring them forward in an informed & empowered way to my customers.

"I LOVE working at Amazon"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Surrounded by talented and fun people
    + Great work life balance
    + Very competitive pay and benefits
    + Innovative company

Cons

- Challenging interview process
    - Have to ask for feedback; not given on a regular basis (for my position)
    - Difficult to get promoted
    - Everyone I know sends me their resume and asks me to get them a job ;)

Advice to Management

Continue the disruption; protect the Amazon brand value at all costs - continue to give people many reasons to Love Amazon.

"Benefits are worth it all"

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible pay for the work and responsibility. I work from home, they sent me two monitors, a laptop, a dock, a keyboard and a mouse. My level of position recently moved from hourly to salary, depending on the boss that means my hours can flex a good amount. Health benefits are off the chain. Stock values are incredible. I bought my very first house with my Amazon salary, I've only been here a year, I sit in my pajamas in my own house every day. Unreal.

Cons

Big changes happen quickly and often. I have no spouse or kids or very many other activities, so the schedule changes are relatively easy for me to deal with. I don't know how people with strict schedules with things outside of work do it.
    Due to the constant change and variation, it is hard to communicate mass changes clearly, effectively and far enough ahead of time to give people a chance to adjust. Most of the time leadership does a pretty good job with it, but if you can't handle change or ambiguity, or you need tons of structure, rules, answers and hand holding, this position is definitely not for you. Every once in a while you're left to fend for yourself (and find a way to take care of a team of people who don't know you or care that you don't know any of the answers), you need to be a go getter and be willing to go find the answers you need as opposed to wait for your boss to tell you.

Advice to Management

The company is still growing at an explosive rate in a hundred different directions...I wonder if it would be wise to iron out more kinks in the new spaces before starting another new business. I get frustrated when I see so many things falling through the cracks in some of the newer specialty spaces but then hear that we've started an entirely new concept somewhere else. Like why wouldn't you make sure one specialty is up and running somewhat smoothly before starting a new project?

6. "Innovative"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Room for Advancement and growth

Cons

None that i know of

Advice to Management

None

7. "Not as good as they make it sound."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a really good leader and some other great people to work with. While it's not suited for a career, you can make some good money during the Peak season, which a lot of people with other full time jobs do

Cons

It's basically impossible to get promoted unless you have a personal relationship with the hiring manager for that job. In other words, if they don't personally like you or your personality, you have no chance of getting a higher level job. This is despite the fact that Amazon claims they recognize exceptional talent and willingly move them throughout the company (meaning promote them to higher levels).

If you start out working for them at a fulfillment center, you can only apply for certain jobs, even if you're capable or qualified for higher level jobs. But if you don't work for the company at all, they recruit people fresh out of college for even higher level jobs than you can apply for as someone who's already been there for at least a year, even if you have more education and more work experience.

And when you do apply for a job internally, you're supposed to get a response telling you if you've been rejected (and why), or telling you that they want you to come in for an interview. Quite a few people have applied for the same jobs and never got either of those, but people were hired for those positions. Certainly looks suspicious to me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who play favorites when hiring; they're a liability you don't need, and their actions prove they aren't suited for that responsibility, or any management role. You need to follow the established process for all job applications instead of ignoring it when it's convenient to the agenda of the recruiter and hiring managers.

8. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth, elite co-workers, you get to work on cool products

Cons

High-stress environment, standards depends on your team

Advice to Management

Relax a bit on the frugality

"High quality, meaningful work"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon lives and breathes it's leadership principles (search for them and read them). High quality colleagues. I feel like everyone I work with is smarter than I am. It's scary to get used to, but a good place to be if you want to challenge yourself to grow.

Cons

If you are not used to working without direction, this is not the company for you
    Internal knowledge management and collaboration tooling is surprisingly not up to par with other companies. Strong security focus prevents use of a lot of 3rd party collaboration tools.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Keep customer obsession

"Sort Center Process Assistant"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Process Assistant role is to assist with Sort and have a positive effect on the Amazon Culture.

Cons

Sort Centers are very metric driven with variables dependent upon Fulfillment Center Logistics.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there is more effective results with Direct Personal Communication than through Indirect Email Communication.

Showing 16 of 21,712 reviews