Amazon Reviews in Nashville, TN | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2483 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 518 reviews)

1. "Doesn't live up to the hype"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon doesn't live up to the hype that they are slave driving maniacs. They do not change their mind every other day or week about what is important. They operate off of a very solid foundation. Yes they are dynamic and change quickly and expect you to be part of the solution, but it is not chaos and the senior leaders are top notch in every respect. Most people I see that do not like Amazon or the culture don't like a fast paced environment or working hard.

Cons

Amazon is very focused on a positive associate experience and has a low level of accountability for the work force. This is not always bad but it presents certain challenges in achieving success

Advice to Management

Compared to other companies I have worked for and know of, this is the absolute best run company. Keep the day 1 mind set!

2. "Seasonal Associate Review"

Former Employee - Seasonal Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Seasonal Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get paid to become more physically fit; AMZL managers, for the most part, at least seemed to appreciate employees as there were numerous pizza and treat opportunities, at least on the shifts I worked on; can pick shifts that work best for you.

Cons

Can be very physically demanding, especially for people not used to working in a warehouse environment; the people working in HR seem to have more power than even the managers you work with day to day, and most of them are just not that friendly to the warehouse employees. There was really only a couple that treated people consistently with some respect, the majority were just unnecessarily rude. Though AMZL was not evaluating employees on their scanning rate, it could be difficult to get even your 16 hours in due to being sent home early during slow weeks and so it becomes necessary to try to pick up hours on the scanning side, where it can be extremely difficult to meet their high scan rate demands. Managers on the scanning/ sort side generally don't know people by name since there's just too many coming and going, so it tends to be much less of a team environment than AMZL. Conversions to 'blue badge" (regular part-time) positions only happen a couple times per year- after the Christmas peak in late January, then again whenever HR decides, which will likely happen before they begin hiring for the next peak season in the fall, so if you miss out on it the first time as I did, it's almost better to quit and try to get re-hired as a blue badge rather than be strung along by HR telling you that conversions "will happen again soon"--they won't. At least that way you can earn the 12.75 that you did during the holiday season, and not bust your butt working for 11.50, which is what they set your pay at come Jan. 1st if you are seasonal. I say most of this to help those who may be going in as a seasonal person so they will know not to buy into anything HR says about seasonal employees once the rush is done. They will not just terminate you into any "alumni program"- there is no such thing. Just convert to a blue badge at the first opportunity- they will not make this clear to new people, so if you even think you want/need to be working there beyond January, just go to a blue badge. Otherwise, you could find yourself working with new co-workers who never worked a peak season that already have blue badges and make more money than you.

Advice to Management

Please put the "human" back in your human resources department by hiring people who actually like serving customers (i.e., the warehouse employees).
    Be more up front with seasonal people about the whole blue badge conversion and what that means right from the beginning. Don't send them emails right after Christmas telling them they will soon be terminated and placed into a non-existent alumni program that will "fast-track" them through the re-hiring process should they decide to come back. It's just wrong and misleading---and not good business. At least treat the people who helped you get through your busiest time fairly. Should also not penalize seasonal employees when they take on other jobs by forcing them to request the minimal time off they are given in no less than 2-hr increments. If someone has another job that makes them less than an hour late, they shouldn't have to request a full 2 hour block of time. Of the 20 hours I was given as a seasonal employee, I probably actually used only 10--you don't get what's left of the 2 hrs if you only need 30 or 40 minutes of it. That was something else that was never told to me by HR until most of my time had been eaten away.

"Best. Job. Ever."

Current Employee - Non Inventory Receiver in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Non Inventory Receiver in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My number one reason for working for Amazon is the benefits. Not just the killer health, vision, and dental. Oh, no, no no no. The stocks, the 401K, the paid time off, the vacation time, all the employee resources, the career and personal development. Not to mention the amazing people you're going to meet along the way. Plus you get to be a part of a company that does so much for technological development, as well as local and global communities. It's something to be proud of. :)

Cons

I don't see this as a con, but it's something I warn people about when they first come in- you will be expected to work, and sometimes really hard. FC jobs can be very physical and it's a dog eat dog world.

Advice to Management

Associates know when you're new. Listen to them. And wear comfortable shoes. :)

4. "Very peculiar, indeed!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work with the smartest people on the planet which can only serve to help me better myself. I am constantly learning everyday! This is like no other company in the world, we always start with the customer and work backwards. I am constantly amazed when given a choice, Amazon seems to always make the right long term decision that favors customers and employees vs making the typical business decision geared toward short term gains to satisfy shareholders.

Cons

This company is not for everyone, there is a very high bar that must be met and unless you are ready to work hard, have fun and make history everyday you could get burned out quickly

Advice to Management

Remember it is always Day 1, don't change. We cannot afford to become a Day 2 company....

5. "Sortation Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy work
    - Lots of benefits and resources

Cons

-Very hard on your body
    -Management picks favorites

6. "Great"

Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place and culture, lazy people quit in the first 2 weeks

Cons

None that I see at the moment

"Part-Time Sortation Associate"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and Free Pizza when it's overtime.
    Good Paid.

Cons

Overtime is so often and required.
    Some people working at wrapper are so lazy

8. "Competitive Business"

Former Employee - L4 Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - L4 Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, time off options, incentives, flexibility, career advancement opportunities

Cons

HR, politics, lots of competition

Advice to Management

Be more self critical

"It could be fine in the short-term, if you need something fast"

Former Employee - Seasonal Part-Time Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Seasonal Part-Time Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is okay for the work. You can do your work and leave without thinking about it anymore, assuming you aren't injured on the job. Plenty of opportunities for extra shifts, before the 30 hour point.

Cons

The pay is not okay for the work. Breaks are 1 per shift, 15 minutes long, including five minutes walking there, five minutes walking back. Effectively a five minute break. The work pace is hard/impossible if you're actually trying to move packages effectively. Management fosters zero positive relations. Concerns are brushed off. HR doesn't handle anything in a substantial way, and may even lose your resignation form. Using the bathroom is discouraged. To keep sortation lines clear, you must move boxes quickly, but you cannot meet the required scanning rate unless you consistently ignore boxes and only scan jiffies/envelopes. Very few people care about building safe pallets. You are reduced to your rate numbers. You mean nothing to a manager. You are only a number. They very clear want to automate your role as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Give actual change in response to issues written on the concern board. Make sure workers know their supervisor. Have supervisors perform actual work, rather than only criticize. Do not discourage bathroom breaks. Encourage safety by not discouraging safe pallets. Saying you want safe pallets is not enough when you go around during the shift criticizing people for good pallets because their rate suffers. Lengthen breaks to an adequate time. Pay attention to your workers. Have actually positive employee-manager relations. Please, just treat your workers like people.

10. "Sortation Associate"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

Flexible hours - you choose your hours when you're hired
    Easy work - scanning boxes is mindless and no one is breathing down your neck

Cons

Not a job for people who don't like to walk/aren't active.

Showing 36 of 28,306 reviews