Amazon Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2397 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 500 reviews)

1. "Leadership principles and Self Service culture"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon, is one of the few companies that walk the talk. The 14 leadership principles are key to your career at Amazon. I have been here only for a few months. But I have seen plenty of opportunities for learning and growth. If you are a go getter and believe in the leadership principles, the sky is the limit for growth. As a solutions architect, my job is very challenging (which I love), you get 100% job satisfaction. There is good work life balance. Flexible hours or work from home though depend on manager's discretion, are frequently approved. New hires are given 2-3 months on boarding time to let them settle in. Most managers allow this to ensure you have all the tools, understand the company and the team.

Cons

Amazon, unlike a lot of companies is peculiar. They have a self-service culture. Don't expect for an IT guy to parachute in when you have a problem. You read a wiki or some other documentation to figure out the problem and fix it yourself. This is not a con for me. But I have seen quite a few new hires struggle in the beginning.

401k matching a bit lower than other companies.

Be prepared to learn and organize your information. Most engineers will not have a problem, But some business related professionals may struggle to keep up with the pace of innovation and changes to products and services.

Advice to Management

None.

PS: I heard about 14 leadership principles during pre-interview prep. I have made these part of my DNA. Thank you. I wish other companies show the same passion to internalize their vision.

2. "Ultimate Place to Work - If you are cut for it."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Rewarding
    Fast and Furious
    Lots of learning
    Job Satisfaction
    Stocks :)
    No Power-points

Cons

Not Cut for Everyone
    You must be thick skin to take criticism constructively
    No Hand holding
    Long On-boarding
    Lack of standardized process - Due to super fast delivery
    No Powerpoints

Advice to Management

Improve on-boarding process for new hires.
    Provide quick feedback on performances
    Manager need more training towards people management
    More personalized management then process oriented management for Human employees :).

3. "Great culture, Good benefits, Great comp"

Current Employee - Senior Security Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Security Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined AWS 3 months ago. Nothing but good things to say about the company. Coming from 25 years of experience in corporate world (Wallstreet, Retail, Business Consulting) Amazon is the place to be.

Customer is always at the forefront of the business. Working backwards works, those concepts stimulate the culture in a unique, very appealing, way.

Cons

Workload. The business is expanding and there are never enough people to get the job done

Advice to Management

Keep going. Something must have been done right to move from a single book store to what Amazon is today :)

4. "Good Job Terrible Hours"

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work isn't bad, sorting the packages for all of long island. Getting the trucks together at the end of shift was a little fun.

Cons

The hours, for someone who has a daytime job... are terrible. You cant leave until you finish your work no matter what.

Advice to Management

n/a i'm sure theres nothing they can do about the hours.

5. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Experience Manager (AREM) in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Experience Manager (AREM) in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here at Amazon. They make you feel like that you are the owner of your workplace. Management listens to ideas and always give you feedback. Love the straight forward approach with everyone.

Cons

No cons as I know what I signed up for.

Advice to Management

Only advice to management will be to streamline operations.

6. "Life As An Amazonian"

Current Employee - Senior HRA in Avenel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior HRA in Avenel, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a company that is constantly and consistently growing. With growth comes opportunity and advancement. This is a company where you can truly start at the bottom and work your way up. I've been at Amazon for 9 months and I've seen numerous promotions and transfers; I've already had the opportunity to transfer to a site closer to home after only 6 months on the job. I've seen new buildings come up and people get transferred as well as promoted to those buildings. In addition, Amazon offers tuition assistance, Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA Accounts, 401K and Stock Options. It's definitely a great company to work for.

Cons

There are Cons throughout life, but the Cons of working at Amazon are met with Pros, for instance there are long hours in the warehouse jobs, but the work days can vary to 3 - 4 working days per week, which gives a longer weekend. But in reality, Amazon isn't meant for everyone, you have to be willing to work hard and be present, with hard work comes opportunity. For those who feel that Amazon isn't meant for them, if they can hold out long enough to get the tuition reimbursement, Amazon will pay 95% of tuition for selected classes and wish the Associate well when then branch out to start their new career (no strings attached).

7. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly innovative environment working with the smartest people. Fast paced and decision making setting which is a pro for me (may not be for others). Competitive compensation, good health insurance and stock compensation

Cons

Sometimes the senior leaders just want things to be done and dont think about the consequences. Bad 401k match

8. "Upward move for my career"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work (comiXology)
    Awesome Work Location (Times Square NYC)
    High Base Salary
    Large Signing Bonus Year 1
    Large Signing Bonus Year 2
    RSU's of Amazon
    401K Matching

Cons

You need to adapt to the Amazon way and throw away a lot of conventional wisdom, which feels a bit abnormal at first
    401k takes 3 years to vest

Advice to Management

Thus far things seem to be managed very well at Amazon

9. "Don't buy the negative hype"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, lots of autonomy, lots of responsibility, not restricted by bureaucracy. If you see something broken, fix it. Don't wait for someone else to do it. I had read lots of reviews saying it was cutthroat, but that just isn't what I am experiencing. It is really fun to work with super smart, ambitious people. The leadership principles matter. Everyone I have encountered lives the leadership principles

Cons

Few really. You will work hard, but you will be well rewarded for it. I have no work life balance issues. Just not a place to be if you are not into giving it your best. Don't come here expecting a well laid out career path. Your career path is what you make it. You really need to "un-learn" corporate behavior if this is not your first job. The adjustment to the "Amazon way" takes some effort, and you have to be willing to step outside your comfort zone. These aren't cons, but if you expect to come here and have it be like your old job, its not.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Teterboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Teterboro, NJ

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid on time and they supplied gloves and locks for lockers.

Cons

No flexibility in regards to change in scheduling. Pay wasn't very good. There was not much time to eat and not much room for growth. I felt like a number rather than an employee.

Showing 336 of 26,980 reviews