Amazon Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2210 reviews)

• No work life balance because of shift changes (in 457 reviews)

1. "Snr Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Quality leaders!
    Useful harmony in teams, even though there is pushing of each other to be their best and express their value-add in many ways, using their 'super-strengths'
    Ability to maintain work-life balance, while doing really interesting, world-changing work
    Can straddle multiple disciplines in technology, strategy, finance, and design within a single role.
    Can get a good view of the organization from many angles

Cons

Internal communications can be overwhelming (email fatigue)

Advice to Management

Identify your top talent through 360 feedback, and then embolden and empower them.
    Direct reporting chain is linear, which usually leads to a manager-specific experience of the company and work done, which can really suck the brains and talent out of a quality organization primed to grow

"Great place for builders - fast pace work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing brand, enterprise resources with the speed and agility of a startup, great culture (if the Amazon leadership principles align with your values, you will love it here), in AWS sales get to work with some of the most innovative companies in the world who are out disrupting every industry with our services. Great leadership vision, great services. Customer obsession drives everything.

Cons

Fast pace and changes all the time. AWS is so successfull becuse they stay ahead of the curve but that could mean your job changes/evolves every few months to stay ahead. Also, ton of growth means tons of new employees so it can be easy to waste time trying to find basic things internally.

Advice to Management

As we grow, we need to make it easier to find internal things and get things done.

"Be ready to slog with Minimum returns"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary . That is the only pro.

Cons

Be ready to slog , sometimes with not many learnings just beacuse you are always running behind deadlines

4. "Making history with AWS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have Fun, Work Hard and MAKE HISTORY really sums it up. Helping customers acheive their outcomes is priority #1. I love the way we work with customers to be their business partner and not their vendor. I have seen and worked for many companies that have a US vs THEM mentality about customers - our job is to pick their pocket and then pick it again - this is 100% NOT THE CASE here. We work with our customers to ensure we are delivering great value and features for them (not for us) You have to appreciate this thinking to do well here - please don't come over thinking its about quotas and bragging rights. We celebrate customer successes and our come when our customers are successful. If you can align to this thinking then this is a great place for you.

Cons

Start up mentality, not right for people that need structure and want to do one thing for a career. You need to be scrappy and resourceful, ready to do whatever it takes for your customer.

Advice to Management

continue to keep the bar high and don't let the culture get diluted by over pivoting on competitive recruiting. Many people come from traditional companies and have traditional company values - they need to embrace the Amazon ways and not try to bring the old stoic and stovepiped management mental models here

5. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a great place to learn. You will work with the brightest in the industry and will learn more than you can imagine. Amazon is also a great place to grow your career as they are very accommodating on career goals. They will also provide you with as much training as you're willing to take.

Cons

Management layer is a little underdeveloped.

Advice to Management

Mature your management layer so you can compete better in the enterprise. Right now it's your technology that's leading the way, but the management will have to catch up eventually.

6. "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History"

Current Employee - Professional Services Practice Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Services Practice Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon lives by it's mantra of working hard, having fun, and making history. To have a company of this size truly operate not as a company of 500K employees, but instead 50K companies with 10 employees is amazing to see. Quick decisions and empowerment driven towards customer obsession guide the day - and results are undeniable.

Cons

Better be prepared to live by the Amazon leadership principles or you won't fit in.

"After working for 3 other tech companies, Amazon is by far the best"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in Softlines Tech after positions at AT&T, Zynga, and a tech startup and the main pain points I had in previous positions are resolved here:

- Overall good morale and positive internal view of leadership due to the company's rapid growth and amazing new areas/products
    - No bureaucracy (free to spin up the AWS hardware and services needed to do my job)
    - Best management I've worked for (3 levels up are all former engineers themselves who respect engineers and trust us to do our job without micromanaging)
    - High hiring bar = great teammates
    - The most clear and objective method for promotion of any company I've been in
    - As a new dad, work/life balance is incredibly good working regular 9-5 hours, work from home Wednesdays, and management being super flexible about random family needs that come up.

Cons

- Not as many perks as Facebook or Google but seriously, after having worked at Zynga where we had as many perks as you could want, it really isn't as important as the pros I mentioned above and seriously heard more complaints from coworkers at Zynga about the perks than appreciation.

Advice to Management

As often as possible, keep hiring managers who have done the work of those they are managing. The respect and understanding they have for those they manage as a result is hugely important.

8. "It's always Day 1"

Current Employee - AWS Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - AWS Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Transparent Work Culture
    - Competitive Compensation

Cons

- No cons as of now

"The Most Customer-Centric Company On Planet Earth"

Current Employee - CSA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSA in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Family Oriented, Comprehensive Training, Good Benefits, Opportunity for Upward Mobility, Good Work/Life Balance Is Expected And Encouraged

Cons

Peak Mandatory Overtime, Holiday Blackouts

Advice to Management

Base pay should be increased to $16/hr. That would improve the caliber of candidates we receive and retain.

10. "Best media sales job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing meritocratic environment
    Great ad products
    Innovative solutions
    Learn something new all the time
    More than just media sales. Great ecommerce/retail experience
    Opportunity to rise through the ranks quickly for smart hungry employees

Cons

Humongous company
    Lots of processes
    Bureaucractic at times
    limited resources
    scrappy "roll up your sleeves" culture

Advice to Management

Your experience will all vary depending on manager, division, location, vertical.

Showing 112 of 23,028 reviews