Amazon Operation Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been at Amazon for 2 years, 11 months, and 30 days (or so Phone Tool tells me) and it has been amazing. Amazon has been a great fit for me after transitioning from the military. I’m on my third role after switching business units to help launch a new building. Amazon isn’t for everyone but neither is Facebook, Google, Microsoft, the military or any other company.

I get to wear shorts to work.

Total compensation rocks.

work hard. have fun. make history.

Cons

Promotion system pretends to promote the best and the smartest… really it just promotes the best connected. If I had one share of Amazon stock for every time I heard we need to get your name out there... we need to get you on some network projects for visibility!

Advice to Management

Why do we hire smart people and tell them what to do? We should let them tell us what to do. – Steve Jobs

2. "It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Area Operations Manager in Avenel, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Operations Manager in Avenel, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is higher then comparable companies
    Strong "Team" mentality, you will depend on your hourly associates and their success is also yours.
    Fairly good amount of RSUs (Stocks), however as others said the vesting period takes a while (only 5% vested after year 1)

Cons

LONG days, 12+ easy
    Some associates really try to doge working, and force others to pick up their slack. They have learned how to game the system in regards to scans and metrics (especially in Amazon Fresh).
    Can be slightly disorganized, with unrealistic goals.
    Working at a Fresh location can be difficult, especially with the changing temperature zones (-35 in frozen goods!) and constant obstacles on the floor.

Advice to Management

Fresh is a good idea in theory, and probably helps many who are unable to leave their homes to buy food. However, its hard to imagine that the location I worked actually made a profit. The amount of wasted food and items was unimaginable. We probably donated more to the local food bank then the rest of the area combined.

3. "Operations Management"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced. Always Changing

Cons

Always Sprinting and never a time to rest

4. "Ugh..."

Former Employee - Slam Operator in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Slam Operator in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, and they'll hire anyone, they say you can't have any felonies and you have to have a GED or diploma but they don't check. Trust me...

Cons

I heard they recently gave a raise because so many people we're quitting when I work there was only 10:50 an hour and they worked me like a dog I literally almost passed out numerous times. And from the moment you walk in you are rushing rushing rushing there are so many penalties it's crazy! People will literally be running in there, it's enough to cause anxiety if you don't have it already! And for the work that they expect from you you should be getting paid a lot more! It gets pretty ridiculous!

Advice to Management

the breaks are not adequate, in order not to be penalized you have to use part of your break to get back to your station on time or you get penalized for not being at your station on time it's ridiculous!

5. "Fast Paced and Competative"

Current Employee - Operations Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Large company with opportunity to grow
    -Competitive pay with stock options
    -Opens a lot of doors for networking

Cons

-Big transitions happening right now, easy to get lost in the sea of faces
    -If you're not cutthroat you will not advance
    -For the world's wealthiest company under the world's wealthiest man, they could stand to take better care of their employees (401k, actual raises after positive reviews, fostering some kind of positive work environment etc...)

Advice to Management

Care about your people.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon talks-the-talk & walks-the-walk for customer obsession, personal growth, & making history. Amazon is very forward-thinking, supportive, exciting, and genuinely cares for its employee while focusing on customer obsession. Not once has Amazon denied the needs of my personal life. Amazon is concerned for the whole person & understands a motivated & loyal employee provides the best success for our customers. Amazon understands people and therefore understands business.

Cons

Due to our continued high level of success in e-commerce, the nature of our work entails greater than average work hours, especially during Prime week & Peak month. Be prepared to provide outstanding customer support throughout the year and especially during these high demand time periods.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive personal development & flexibility to salary needs. Continue to espouse & operate with a Day 1 mentality.

7. "Associate"

Current Employee - Central Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Central Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity of people and opportunities.

Cons

Some work schedules are not set so it changes by the week.

Advice to Management

More set work schedules.

8. "It was OKAY"

Former Employee - Transportation Operations Manager in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Operations Manager in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to pick up
    A lot of down time after peek every year
    good for part time

Cons

Depending on the position work could be mind numbing
    Full time is probably not worth it

Advice to Management

Higher Pay and be more willing to promote within.

9. "Amazon is a great company to work"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Customer Obsessed
    2. Agile and Innovative Company
    3. Lots of Growth and New Product Capabilities
    3. Entrepreneurial (write up an idea and get approved, get headcount, deliver)
    4. Cross functional teams such as working with economist, data scientist, dev, analyst which in other companies you have different queues to get access to these types of resources

Cons

1. Very distributed makes it difficult to roll out big changes at scale. A good thing as changes are delivered in an agile way with approval from business owners.
    2. Be comfortable with people disagreeing or pushing back on ideas or taking time to get on board with a new idea based on data
    3. Due to big growth some of the internal tool and processes need some work. Get comfortable with we don't have the report yet but it is a top priority in our backlog but here is read only access to our DW have at it.

Advice to Management

Invest in standard infrastructure and tools to help scale and drive productivity but don't lose the innovative small team approaches.

"Fighting for Leftovers"

Current Employee - Procurement Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Procurement Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment
    Driven leadership
    Unparalleled value for customers

Cons

Support functions like IT, Procurement, and sometimes HR are looked at as outsiders in the fulfillment centers. The senior leaders in the FC will promote a 23-year-old with one year of experience at Amazon, before a support staff professional with 5-10 years of experience.

As support staff, you're truly fighting for crumbs, and you're often left with nothing. To be given fair raises and praise, you have to move into Operations.

Advice to Management

Understand that most people in the FC are working hard for the customer... not just Operations. If support staff team members are performing well, they deserve praise too. In promotion meetings, Area Managers shouldn't automatically get leveled up over their support staff peers.