Amazon Operations Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2438 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 507 reviews)

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Pathways Operations Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Pathways Operations Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High standards, excellent team members, the company lives by its leadership principles.

Cons

Too much fun. I don’t have any cons.

"Working Hard, Having Fun, and Truly Making History"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Operations Analysis in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Operations Analysis in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon recognizes the contributions of it's employees, and offers tremendous growth opportunities for Top performers. I have been fortunate to be surrounded by an amazing team and strong leaders, enabling me to promote 3 times in four years, and branch out from an Operations Leadership Track to a Business Intelligence Support Track with no issue. I've also come to know several Tier 1 associates who have also grown substantially in their career to become operations leaders.

I've also been humbled by Amazon's Think Big Program, and how open leadership is to new ideas. I'm proud to have been part of the launch of Prime Now, and to have submitted the idea of Release Night Delivery which leveraged the Prime Now platform to deliver Call of Duty Black Ops 2, and the newest Harry Potter Book, among others.

Cons

Be prepared for short deadlines in some cases, as well as high visibility to your performance. There is no expectation to work long hours, but you have to get your job done, or you will be stagnant in your career.

Amazon's culture is one of self learning. You are expected to seek out information that may not be handed to you on a silver platter. You control your own growth. If you choose not to seek out new opportunities, it's rare for someone to come find you for them.

Advice to Management

Amazon's rating system is designed to identify top and bottom performers. Top performers are rewarded, bottom performers are coached and developed, but the middle is often omitted, and not given enough coaching to become a top performer in some cases. Management should look for new ways to develop the steady middle of the road performers. Also, look to promote more from within, vs. hire from the outside. We tend to hold internal candidates to our high hiring bar vs. our internal promotion bar which allows for growth since we know our internal candidate already fits Amazon's culture.

3. "Station Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Station Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Station Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So much to learn all of the time, very fast paced, and given latitude to think on your feet.

Cons

Literally on call 24/7 and work a tremendous amount of hours, the good idea fairy does not die....ever, and back to work life balance...it is very difficult and I have a great team.

"If you're creative, skilled, or gifted... there's opportunities to prove it at Amazon"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Input is desired. Continuous change for the sake of improvement is constant, and mandatory. Great ideas, and the support to implement them, come from every level. You are rarely if ever denied the tools, training, or support to improve the experience for a customer. You can start anywhere and your skills are noticed if you are dedicated, tenacious, and persistent. Talent is recognized. Hard work, and smart work, is rewarded. Working amidst great minds is the norm.

Cons

It is not a place to punch a clock. Status quo is unacceptable. You're either moving forward in supporting operations, and progressing in your career, or you're falling behind, and moving backwards. There's little room in management for treading water at Amazon. At times you will need to take full responsibility for your own growth, training, and path. Mentoring is alive and well, but with rampant growth, there's only so much support from above to go around. Own your path and push for where you want to make an impact or look for a slower-growth employer.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly, often, and transparently. And, paint the most illustrative picture of your need as possible. Leaders give you everything when they know and support the mission and vision behind your direction.

trylital

5. "Startup Culture - It's always Day 1"

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to have global impact
    2-way doors
    Business agility and speed
    Company really lives by Leadership Principles

Cons

Culture is not for everyone. You need to be hungry and thrive in a high ambiguous work environment.

6. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding, Interesting, Challenging, Impactful, Fast Paced

Cons

The days & hours go by very quickly, yet the work never ends 24/7

7. "Operations manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in De Land, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in De Land, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is great. room to grow is there as well

Cons

hard to balance work and life- job is very demanding

Advice to Management

management is great although different managers have different expectations. Should be more alligned

"Opportunities Abound to Learn and be Challenged"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon affords many benefits—pay, stock, generous PTO and maternity/paternity, parking allowances and transit passes—but the most exciting benefit is less tangible: the opportunity to grow and learn in one of the most innovative companies on the planet. At Amazon, you're working with amazingly talented people who constantly challenge your assumptions. The mandate to create well-written narrative documents when proposing an idea to leadership means that you're under pressure to think through your ideas and find a way to crystallize them. The result is that each product and service receives significant scrutiny long before resources are invested.

Cons

Amazon feels a bit like a bunch of small startups conglomerated into a large entity, and as a result, there's often ambiguity in the job. No on is going to tell you what to do—you have to figure it out. For some, that's a benefit, but it can also be daunting at times.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the ground with employees. Find opportunities at team events or through office hours to connect with the lower level employees, and have an open dialog with them about their frustrations. We're a customer obsessed company, but in some respects, managers' customers are the employees that report to them. Be obsessed with understanding what your employees' pain points are, and help them overcome them.

9. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A career in Amazon Operations is a great place to work alongside some extremely bright and driven professionals. Whether or not it’s a great fit for you depends on your personality type and what you what in your career. If you want the opportunity to be challenged, take ownership/responsibility, stretch your skills, lead and implement process improvements and push your own development then Amazon is a great place for you. It's a fast paced environment with continuous improvements so expects constant change.

Cons

Base pay is average. However overall compensation is very competitive when you factor in RSU's.

10. "salaried operations manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, work is fun. Very fast paced enviroment.

stock options

Cons

Long hours, stressful work. Poor communcation from leadership.

Advice to Management

be fair and consistent