Amazon Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

3 days off and you get to be yourself with your team members.

Cons

long hours and can work night shift for an extended period of time.

Advice to Management

Be more open to shift changes

2. "folklift"

Current Employee - Folklift in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Folklift in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

well i have a wife and apartment call to take care so i needed to work and i would like 3 shift to start

Cons

well i go to work on time and my boss like the work i do. so i will continue showing up on time and doing a good job.

Advice to Management

team worker

"Worked in procurement. Very unorganized and unprofessional company."

Former Employee - Procurement Operations Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Procurement Operations Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave you a sign on bonus and 15 days vacation. However be prepared to work on personal and vacation days.
    I did enjoy the interview process. It was very challenging and you interviewed with 6 different supervisors to pick their brain.

Cons

Where do I start? I went to be a procurement operations buyer only to find out I was to perform a facilities management role on top of that. I was lied to on the interview when they said the new FC was up and running. One introduced herself as the Buyer to that FC when it wasn't even open yet. They ran that facility without operating bathrooms, zero power to the desk, and air conditioning in the 90 degree heat. To me, they treat employees like garbage or worse in those instances. They had trailer johnnies in the parking lot that you can smell from the cafeteria. They erased the complaints from employees about it as well.

My first day on the job? I came prepared to start what they call AEW. (Associate experience week). They did not have my credentials that I would be starting at that building. I had to show them my offer letter and communication from a recruiter that I was to be at that building. I sat in the lobby for a half hour making me 15 minutes late and then penalized for it later in the week when my first boss asked why I showed up 15 min late on my first day. Here I am showing up 15 min early prepared to work and they screw up and easy task that is supposed to make employees welcome at a new job.

Amazon is very frugal. Their systems are very outdated. For such a rich and successful company, they do nothing to improve their databases for procurement. They do not have a training manual or staff to teach you these systems. They have a poor training process( there was none). Management support is lacking. I've always been my own manager, but you need support and knowledge transfer in the beginning to be able to be comfortable in your new role. Trying to figure out two jobs by yourself in a high paced company is a set up for failure for anyone.

Advice to Management

Operations management ? Unprofessional and unorganized. I was a buyer and facilities manager who supported them and they did not read any emails that related to important tasks that were requested and completed or questions to complete the tasks. When they were relayed to them , they took three days to contact your boss to state you're not doing your job of responding when in fact it's them who fail to answer. It seemed like you had to constantly defend yourself.

Management in procurement ? I had three in the first two weeks. My hiring manager quit. Then both my senior management and local management, were never there from day one to support a new hire. There is no knowledge transfer. There is no support when it's needed in the beginning for questions.
    I'm never one to have someone "hold my hand" but when you're new, you can't just sit at a table and train yourself on the ins and outs of a company you never worked for.

"HR Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Great Employees, Autonomy and Scale

Cons

The lack of work life balance

"Good Company, still finding its feet"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Awesome opportunities due to growth
    +Your voice totally matters
    +Ability to innovate as much as you want

Cons

-Most of the time you are drinking from a firehose
    -The lack of structure is both a benefit and a hinderance
    -Corporate employees get treated way better than field

Advice to Management

Find your balance. Invest in the FC network with more than just infrastructure or incentive based programs. They bring in the money but are treated with the least amount of true respect in the company.

6. "inconsistent application of policies"

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

job security and opportunity to travel if you wish to help open new fullfillment centers or ambassador new hires to amazon

Cons

promotions are hard to get if you start at the tier one level, irregardless of your background - brand new college graduates and military get greater chances than college-educated, managerially experienced current associates

Advice to Management

consistently apply policies

Showing 6 of 17,434 reviews