Amazon Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Fantastic experience"

Current Employee - Operation Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Operation Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

This company does a fantastic job in driving innovation and inspiring people to have a bias for action. This leadership principle is critical to the companies success.

Cons

You get out what you put into it. If a person is not willing to work hard, then, it should not come as to a surprise that the results don’t match their expectations.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Friends and workplace balance"

Former Employee - ICQA in Middletown, DE
    Former Employee - ICQA in Middletown, DE

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet there can help you push through the long days.The friends I met there become more of family because I spend more time with them than my family.

Cons

The work life balance is horrible amazon is a company That’s is great for the customers but horrible for the employees. It is definitely not a place I would recommend long term. Especially with the amount of moving you will find out you have body pains you didn’t even know you had.

Advice to Management

More training for new employees

"Productive, fast-paced environment. Good benefits. Pay could certainly be better. Limited opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in North East, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in North East, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, easy to work with Human Resources and Management. College course tuition assistant programs are in place to help students.

Cons

Pay is too low given the job's high physical demands and possibility of injury. $13.00 per hour is not even enough money to make use of the health benefits that are offered.

Advice to Management

I. Please look into opportunities for advancement for your fellow employees, inform them and encourage them to take these on. The average independent adult working here NEEDS to get to a point where they're making more than $15-$20 per hour ASAP in order to provide for their own needs.
    II. Provide better oversight of people in management, ambassadorial and Human Resources positions. Identify assistant managers/managers who are abusive of employees below them, strongly discipline them, or remove them from these positions. Identify Ambassadors/Trainers who are not patient enough with their trainees, coach them, or remove them from these positions. Some jobs with Amazon involve the operation of potentially dangerous equipment and vehicles. The training processes involved with these CANNOT be rushed.
    Identify Human Resources workers who are unfriendly to other workers, are unhelpful to fellow employees' needs/questions, or are obstructive. Coach them, discipline them, or remove them from these positions. The Human Resources Workers absolutely need to be non-confrontational with their fellow employees and guide them through whatever their needs or concerns might be.
    Amazon Stock NEEDS to split in the future in order for young investors and people of lower incomes to be able to be a part of its market. Allowing Aamazon's stock price to shoot past $1,300 per share effectively seals off an entire portion of the population from participating with the company. In the long run, this is a detrimental business practice. This will hurt the company's image, as people will begin to view Amazon stock as strictly an exclusive buy-in for the Upper Class and Wall Street Elite. I urge Amazon to reconsider this strategy. They are one of best performing companies in the world, and are setting this precedent right now. Other companies are following Amazon's example and letting their own stock prices skyrocket out of reach of young/lower income investors. This will turn into a bubble in a matter of years and make stock investments even riskier than investing in cryptocurrencies. Just wait until Amazon stock reaches $2,000 per share (or more) and then crashes in a market correction. $2,000 is a major investment for anyone. Who would want to take that kind of risk? Amazon and the Stock Market as a whole must reconsider this potentially self-destructive strategy.

"Assistant Mangers"

Former Employee - Associate Process Manager in Florence, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Process Manager in Florence, NJ

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Good overtime great self esteem booster

Cons

Company seems to be not fair

Advice to Management

Apply all of the leadership skills all the time not when it matters

"Sucks avoid at cost"

Current Employee - Associate in Florence, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Florence, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sexual harassment is swept under the rug ambassador vest are handed out for the hell of it and stand around for 10 hours and do nothing and get paid for it and get rewarded with swag bucks.

Cons

Everything hard work does not pay off and keeping a good lawyer in case some day you may need one.

Advice to Management

Learn to be a manager before you become one

6. "Mixed review"

Current Employee - Associate in Swedesboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Swedesboro, NJ

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient scheduling. Short sort shifts which are relatively easy. Work is not hard at all. A lot of efficiency at the sort center.

Cons

HR department is not equipped to deal with the volume of employees they hire. Disorganized training & if you have any issues it is almost impossible to reach someone who can help you. Most HR issues are routed to call centers where it's difficult to understand because English is not first language & they often tell you the complete opposite information than what is given by contact people at the sites. I worked there 3 years ago and now and I can say things were way more organized and people were a lot more approachable in the past, There seems to be a downfall of management, especially at the HR level.
    Workers are sometimes rude & ignorant. Managers seem to focus more on the e people who work hard most of the time and have one mistake or down moment. Sometimes it seems they are afraid to address staff who are chronically lazy, loud or rude. I have seen managers address staff for being 1 minute late back from break on the farthest lane only to walk by several more employees after the fact walking in way later with no consequence.
    I have also encountered managers standing around chatting and complaining about staff being "stupid" and talking about how much they want to go home. I would have reported it to HR however they were standing right at the desk & didn't raise an eyebrow so I didn't figure it mattered. It is not motivating to see that.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a weekly meeting with management team (this probably does happen) but it just seems that no one is ever on the same page. You can ask 6 different managers a question and get 6 widely different answers,

7. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Florence, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Florence, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid every week

Cons

It is very bad on your feet

8. "Amusement Park"

Former Employee - ICQA and Packer in Middletown, DE
    Former Employee - ICQA and Packer in Middletown, DE

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the people, the hours I could pick, fun job for me, something always going on from totes above your head going one place or another, reminded me of a roller coaster, always something going on, great benefits.

Cons

neatness in packing didn't matter, styressful demands on time limits

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the lazy full timers that abuse their time management and stand around doing nothing

9. "Okay place to work unless you have an emergency without time left"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Logan Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Logan Township, NJ

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay with increases for night shift and weekends
    4 Day work weeks
    Easy Job
    Employee Discount at 10% off first $1000 worth of purchases on items sold by Amazon

Cons

Mandatory overtime pushes you from 40 hour weeks to 60 hours
    HR will fire you if you are negative time off even if its only an hour because of a family emergency

Advice to Management

Cut your employees some slack with their time off and cut down the overtime unless you want more people to fall asleep behind the wheel of a car

10. "Indirect f2f employer"

Current Employee - FC Associate in Middletown, DE
    Current Employee - FC Associate in Middletown, DE

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers help you learn your job well

Cons

It's physically demanding and long hours

Advice to Management

Keep being hands on

Showing 167 of 21,680 reviews