Amazon Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GOOD APPLYING PROGRAM that helps you realize

Cons

TAKES A LITTLE LONG to do

2. "Extremely Diverse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, NJ

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company for anyone to start work. Starting pay is pretty good. Benefits, sick time and vacation time from day 1.

Cons

Unfair recognization policies.

3. "It’s work you get out what you put in (some of the time)"

Former Employee - FC Associate Tier I in Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - FC Associate Tier I in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Main pro is the stocks but you have to last 2 years to actually use them... it’s alright if you can establish yourself as a hard worker and build rep with the pa’s and am’s

4 days on and 3 off

There’s events that recognize you for doing a good job

Cons

It’s work... depending on your area you can get have a smooth time or get hustled while your co workers chill and talk

They’re expanding at a rate where there’s not enough work for the amount of workers and when that happens they will find physical busy work that you may or may not like to push you out for the day to retain hours

Miscommunication on a regular basis between departments

If it’s peak they will hustle you back from your lunch

It can get cliquey and work politics is a thing just because you work hard doesn’t mean you’ll get that promotion a few people I know were getting groomed for higher positions and got snubbed because of transfers ... and then they got to teach the new pa’s and am’s

Advice to Management

Better training of associates the pa we had when I started struggled because they essentially said results results results with little training

Also on that note I got let go on a technicality (literally the only mistake I’ve ever made... no prior write ups in fact I interviewed the week before to move up) because it was deemed a “safety issue” that is in fact not a situation covered via training (if an employee doesn’t know EXACTLY what to look for you’re setting them up for failure)

4. "Don't listen to Jabronies who don't want to work, give this a read and hopefully it helps you decide to apply."

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Florence, NJ
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Florence, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day 1 benefits (healthcare, dental, vision) Good pay for a starter job. Free stock given to you upon a 2 year commitment to the company. Random prizes given out for trivia, games, or just coming in to work (I've won 5 prizes so far, things from a $5 gift card up to a $79 kindle)
          As far as the labor goes, most of the physical labor jobs in the facility I work in (Florence NJ) are extremely easy to learn. Some of them are more physical than others, but you do get rotated out of a physical job at the end of the lunch hour, so your body isn't going through the same stress motions all day long.
     You get two (2) fifteen minute (15) breaks((which are NOT mandatory by law in New Jersey unless you are under the age of 17 )) Our facility also offers FREE shuttle service to the riverline train transport in the area for associates.
    You are give Paid Time Off (P.T.O.) for 48 hours a year, and Unpaid Time Off (U.P.T.) for 80 hours a year, plus the UPT reloads 20 hours every quarter of the year. On top of all that, you ALSO get PAID vacation which accrues ever other paycheck.
    I believe there is a Maternity Leave that puts a Mother paid to be out for at least 2 month if not more, and a Paternity leave that is about 2 months paid as well.
    Amazon also offers 95% tuition paid if you choose to follow in one of five fields of study in certain college courses. Associates are also given free resume, interviewing, computer (excel, microsoft word and others) classes throughout the year if they apply for them in the building and the classes aren't full.
    There are also pay raises for new hires every 6 months, until you get to your third year, then you top out. However, there are seasonal promotions and regular promotions available randomly throughout the year.

Cons

Some employees are the biggest con I go to right away. You will come up face to face with quite a few people who just don't want to work at all. This means ANY physical labor is "excessive" in their eyes. I watch people in and out all day long perform Time Off Task (T.O.T.) mostly people just wander around talking to friends they made while working here, or family that works here as well. I don't mean just dropping by to say hi and leaving. I'm talking about people taking 3-20 minute blocks of just not working because there isn't a Process Assistant or Area Manager around to catch them.
    That is my biggest problem with this place. It's not an Amazon problem per say, I would imagine any warehouse would have this issue of "when the cat's away, the mice will play" going on. Just here, the people seem coddled to be honest.
    Other than that, the physical labor (to be expected) will have you sore the first few weeks especially if you came from a job that didn't require you to be on your feet for 10 hours at a time, lifting boxes or totes most of the day (if you land that job that day)
    The parking lot is the other negative (which isn't Amazon's fault). The township's fire marshal wouldn't authorize a second entrance/exit for cars, so everyone on that shift has to wait a solid 30mins to an hour to get out during "Peak (early November - mid/late December) Note that during non peak times, it's usually a 5-10 minute wait tops before it's clear driving right out.

Advice to Management

I would recommend a position that just follows people around (from a distance) in each department, and monitors T.O.T. much closer. This is a critical killer of production in this facility, costing time and money.

5. "Packer/Slam operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, DE

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses, pay is decent during the holidays

Cons

working environment, you're just a number to them

Advice to Management

Care more about the people doing all of the hard work that get you your hefty bonus

"Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex)"

Current Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex) in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Choose your hours every 3 weeks (however the hours available are based on the projected demand of customers)

- You have a Unpaid Time Off bank that refills every quarter with 20Hrs (you can use those hours as you please EXCEPT during Prime week)

- Some managers are great and really try to help you the best they can

Cons

- At the end of the day... it's customer service so you're dealing with the general public.. and they can be ungrateful, rude, and/or not happy with what you can provide

- It is also retail so your hours are not stable and they change A LOT (which can also be a pro)

- Even though you're a virtual agent.. you still have to deal with co-workers that don't know what they're doing and makes promises they can't keep.. you have to go and clean up behind them if the cx calls back

- Your performance is graded on a metric HMD (How's my driving) scale that's sent out to customers after they contact you.. which isn't terrible but it is aggressively held against you if you don't meet the desired percentage... which is usually around 84%

- Team leaders can be backwards... I've had virtual team leaders (they are called DART) tell me one thing... but when a cx asks to speak directly with a team leader/manager they tell them something else... becomes VERY annoying

- Pay could be better

- You might think "Oh this is a great place for me to get my foot in the door with Amazon"... that's a 50/50 chance... if you fail security or constantly don't meet goal... you are put on probation for a certain amount of weeks/months... which means you cannot apply to any other positions in Amazon until that probation period is over

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Universal Receive in Florence, NJ
    Current Employee - Universal Receive in Florence, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people for the most part. My location is a cross dock which I like because it's small.

Cons

Management really needs to get their acts together

Advice to Management

When rules are made management needs to enforce them

"Whole Foods Shopper"

Current Employee - Whole Foods Shopper in Glen Mills, PA
    Current Employee - Whole Foods Shopper in Glen Mills, PA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, tech-driven and health conscious

Cons

This is an Amazon scam

Advice to Management

Upon hire, allow Shoppers to work at the Whole Foods that is close to where they live. Otherwise, the low pay that you provide gets eaten up by the cost of transportation and food.

With regards to food, why not allow the Shoppers a meal allowance or discount? This is why scam seems befitting to this situation. If I am working on my feet all day, quite naturally I will become hungry. What then will I do? Buy something from Whole Foods—there goes my paycheck!

9. "Tier 1 Associate - Fulfillment Center"

Current Employee - Tier I Associate - Fulfillment Center in North East, MD
    Current Employee - Tier I Associate - Fulfillment Center in North East, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, immediate medical/dental/vision benefits, decent work/life balance. College benefits and on-site courses. Would recommend for Temp/Holiday work, but it's not for everyone when it comes to Full-Time.

Cons

Vaction/Paid Time-Off/ Unpaid Time-Off system, physically demanding, boring work, messy management and HR system

Advice to Management

Sufficient cross-training across ALL departments. Advice to Amazon Corporate: Eliminate VCP and boost base pay, make Time-Off system more like typical companies by eliminating incremental earnings of hours. Get rid of Swag Bucks and just pay us more.

10. "Great if you have boundless energy and enthusiasm."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Logan Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Logan Township, NJ

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, immediate hire

Cons

Physically demanding, micromanagement, crowded conditions, difficulty getting days off, low morale, enforced break times

Advice to Management

Better employee morale is needed. An employee should at least be allowed to use the restroom whenever they need to. If a supervisor sees you walking out of the restroom even a minute after the allotted 15 minute break, they will write you up. I think that's a little harsh and I never experienced this kind of management at my other jobs. You are treated less like a valued employee and more like a prisoner. Still job searching, but it's difficult in today's economy, as I've learned from firsthand experience. Some of my co-workers are senior citizens who should be happily retired right now, not laboring at a job like this.

Showing 200 of 26,892 reviews