Amazon Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2438 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 507 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Amazon for a month now, and I've seen none of the horror stories being communicated to the public, although Amazon is a large enough company that I'm sure there are good pockets and bad pockets. Everyone here is really smart, and wants to succeed both personally, and as a company. People collaborate and help each other, focus on data, and truly focus on the customer. Every company I've ever worked for talks about how important the customer is, but on day 2, they're forgotten. Amazon seems to genuinely focus on what's best for the customer, and it's awesome to be in meetings where people actually bring that up, and make decisions focused on long-term customer satisfaction.

The opportunities to learn here are literally unlimited, and the opportunity to take on new responsibility is as well. I honestly believe you can be as awesome as you want here.

Cons

No cons, so far - seriously. Like I said, I'm sure Amazon has some bad pockets in it here and there, but this is an amazing job, an amazing opportunity, and the biggest thing I have to complain about is that it's a little chilly in our building. I can live with that.

Does Amazon demand high quality, measurable results? Yes! Is it hard work? Yes! Is it rewarding? Yes! So I'm not calling that a 'con'. Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse.

"Day one..... Everyday"

Current Employee - FC - Operations Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - FC - Operations Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment. Work Hard, Have Fun, & Make History is more than words, it's a mantra that is upheld every minute of every day.

Cons

If your not good with a fast pace or change and just like status quo or decision by debate or deliberation this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Good Job, Good Money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple work, easy money, good people

Cons

I did not see any

4. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of people to meet

Cons

Rate, rate, rate is what they want

5. "Associate"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible staff. Fluid workflow.

Cons

Favortism. Consistently need to check up on request made via management.

"Amazon it’s hard work but worth it!"

Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    If identifying data trends is your talent then this is your place to be.
    Everyday is ‘Day one’ can be good or cumbersome it depends
    Your input as a employee is valuable
    Work life balance

Amazon has been that company I have admired the FC ‘make it happen’ teams.
    And I am apart of a company with great people.
    I love it here! Amazon truly invest and value their employees and it does matter if you’re super smart (which there’s a lot of them here, lol) or just a consistent hard worker.
    As a Amazonian your input is valued!
    Because it’s the coolest company on the planet! Keep up the good work Amazonians and let’s keep pushing the bar of excellence! #makinghistorywhilehavingfun!

Cons

Day one the cumbersome side. Workload constantly changing. So be prepared to work hard and efficiently.

Advice to Management

Work on bridging the communication gap and provide concrete metrics on teams overall performance (this is easier said than done) but it’s important for team members to identify what is required.

"DO NOT FALL FOR THIS ROLE..... !!! Its THE WORST!"

Current Employee - Account Health Support in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Health Support in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Benefits
    1 hour lunch
    Community involvement
    Employee outtings

Cons

Everything!
    - the worse team in my history of employment
    - no internal process they practically make everyone up as they go ad leadership cant even get the job right or the policies or the rules.
    - sexual harrassment and physical threat policy violations are ignored
    - personal life families school second jobs arent taken into consideration at all. They dont care
    - ALOT of legal issues, making you do things that can be against moral values ethics the law against religion
    - they constantly tell you to find a new job which currently they work on mass firing and giving anyone a reason for write ups with no legal proof
    - no structure
    -promotions are based on favoritism
    - dead end role
    - no growth opportunities
    - they demean you no praise you
    - they care about numbers bot about you as a person
    - NO accountability in leaderships role, they place blame on everyone right below them.
    - they dont practice or preach their own leadership principles
    - dont go above and beyond for leadership they take full advantage of you in every way possible without promotions
    - there are no legal tools and resources for you to effectively do your job and the quality auditing process is horrific then there is no accountability within leadership
    - nooooo consistency!
    - they will place blame of the team environment on the seniors before taking it for themselves
    - everyone wants to quit this teams creation and outcome is the exact opposite
    - the upskills are garbage, they dont offer tools resources or enough training to help you do anything right, you are taught to get out there and fail, in every way including the quality audits
    - dont fall for their tricks, they dont care what you have to say about anything. You have NO voice, you have no influence, no cares in the world are given by leadership in regards to anything. So good luck to the rest of the fools that apply for this role.

Advice to Management

None. The worst department ive ever worked for and you wonder why so many people cant stand amazon... the leadership thats hired only get where they are by being a pet.

8. "Do not start in Hourly position - Will take time to upgrade - Internal promotion hard"

Current Employee - Support Engineer II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Support Engineer II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the company is solid to work for, however, upgrading is very hard. If you have any kind of desired to move up, do not get hired as a hourly employee. The ability to move from hourly to salary depends on the department and it could take a long time for the department to even have open salary positions. Moving from department to department can be difficult as well unless you are good at selling yourself and being very bright and shiny. If you are just extremely good at working, but not really advocating for yourself, then this is not the type of company for you.
    The stock options are good, but are much better if you can get hired on as salary.
    Management positions are compensated well from everything that has been talked about. However, it seems management only does X amount of the actual work and more or less are in meetings day in and day out.

Cons

Work life balance can be hard if you want to promote within the company.
    Those who are not as knowledgeable, but more willing to advocate for themselves, will move up.
    If you are hired in as an hourly, you are going to have a hard time moving up the levels.
    Company is always pushing equality above quality.
    You are part of a machine that is moving at a blazing speed, if you can't keep up you will burn out.
    If you don't agree with your manager, you have the ability to say something, but not the ability to make them listen. Even if you have a large number of other employees saying the same thing.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about retention of good employees and less about public appearance.
    Remove the restraints on internal employees jumping levels.
    Start working on internal relationships and retention.
    Get management on the same page: Stop trying to out due everyone so you can get promoted and start working with your teams to make a real difference.

9. "Current Employee - Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

None so far.

10. "Inbound Stow"

Former Employee - Inbound Stow in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inbound Stow in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent wage, lax supervision, can wear normal clothes to work/ no uniform

Cons

Management is abysmal. No clear lines of communication or chain of command. Goals that are set are unrealistic, and everyone is so afraid of not making rate that they won't fudge numbers or cook the books, they'll ATOMIZE them. Unless you're desperate and have ZERO other alternatives, don't work for these crooks! They'll work you until you drop!

Advice to Management

Try and retain people, not force them out. Reward those who stick by you, instead of trying to buy their silence and get them to leave before they complain to your newest stooges. Have clear and concise communication lines, and promote employee agency and self-direction.

Showing 287 of 27,597 reviews