Amazon Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2517 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 523 reviews)

1. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Remote work options
    Competitive compensation
    Challenging work

Cons

The pace takes some getting used to but if you're up for it and learn, you can find success

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. My management team rocks and the Exec team keeps growing the company

2. "Sr. HRA"

Current Employee - Senior HRA in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior HRA in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work culture, potential growth

Cons

Work load, long working hours

"Not that bad"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Options for extra hours regularly

Cons

Almost all communication is through e-mail, very impersonal

"If you're creative, skilled, or gifted... there's opportunities to prove it at Amazon"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Input is desired. Continuous change for the sake of improvement is constant, and mandatory. Great ideas, and the support to implement them, come from every level. You are rarely if ever denied the tools, training, or support to improve the experience for a customer. You can start anywhere and your skills are noticed if you are dedicated, tenacious, and persistent. Talent is recognized. Hard work, and smart work, is rewarded. Working amidst great minds is the norm.

Cons

It is not a place to punch a clock. Status quo is unacceptable. You're either moving forward in supporting operations, and progressing in your career, or you're falling behind, and moving backwards. There's little room in management for treading water at Amazon. At times you will need to take full responsibility for your own growth, training, and path. Mentoring is alive and well, but with rampant growth, there's only so much support from above to go around. Own your path and push for where you want to make an impact or look for a slower-growth employer.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly, often, and transparently. And, paint the most illustrative picture of your need as possible. Leaders give you everything when they know and support the mission and vision behind your direction.

trylital

5. "Amazon Web Services is the best if you love massive scale"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome technology
    Lots of smart, hardworking people
    Interesting challenges
    Massive scale

Cons

Good internal tools that don't always work well together
    Not great 401k matching

6. "Great Culture and People with lots of Positives!"

Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people aka Teams and Managers around you.
    Types and number of systems in use.
    Flexibility to pursue interests/projects

Cons

Sudden Org changes
    Job role changes
    Communication delivery
    Progress paths not defined

Advice to Management

Working on change management process vs overnight major re-works should be considered.
    Ensuring that org/job role changes take into account how it will affect the employees personal alignment/level of purpose fulfilled during the change(s) and afterwards.

7. "Excellent summer job"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, solid management, great hours

Cons

It can be somewhat impersonal

8. "Pays the Bills"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people to work with. The hours are very flexible and excellent for a part-time position.

Cons

The training is poor, and injuries are common. The work is very tedious, and not very stimulating.

Advice to Management

Standardize the training, and retrain the ambassadors. They give conflicting advice and leave new hires confused. Additionally, they should practice more effective stretching and pallet building exercises.

"Lies about hours, does not actually want to employ anyone"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No interview to obtain job

Cons

Only 15 hours/week, not 28-32 as claimed

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, have some basic human decency. When people pass out or die of heat exhaustion then fix the problem.

"Supplemental Income"

Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - I worked on a set schedule for 3 months then switched to a pick-your-own schedule. This works great to pick up shifts around school or another job, but is terrible to rely on.

The Work - It's very repetitive, with just enough variety to keep it from being soul crushing. The repetitiveness let's you become very good at these tasks quickly. I've never been so skilled at organizing shelves, fridges, and paper bags of stuff.

Active Job - This depends on your FC of course, but there isn't a moment of downtime and there's always something to do. This keeps things from slowing down.

Job Variety - You're gonna start with one of the worst jobs at the warehouse (stowing items into bins). If you put forward a little effort, you'll move to other jobs. These jobs might be more physical or planning oriented, and present a more engaging experience.

Coworkers - Everyone is pretty friendly.

Managers - This is a mixed bag. Some are super friendly, understanding, and savvy. Others are disaffected, uninterested, and rude.

Cons

VTO - Voluntary Time Off can strike a warehouse when they need to get their labor hours down. While they can't force you to take vto when you're a scheduled employee, there's tremendous pressure placed for you to take it.

Advancement - None. There's good job variety within the associate level, but everyone is paid the same. That means the guy working half the speed as you makes the same pay, and that really is disheartening. You're also rarely considered for any job advancement, as the only way up is into management positions that require management experience.

Things Change, A Lot - You're going to have to be comfortable with processes and procedures changing business wide (like a new scanner software) or day-by-day with management. I've seen managers chastise us in all-group meetings for putting empty carts in a location and recommend another location, and for a different manager to berate us for putting them in the recommended spot.

Pay - You're not going to get rich here. You should expect this, but that doesn't change it from being a con.

Coworkers - I mentioned that they're friendly, but some of them you will constantly question why they're there. Very slow or don't put any effort. Sure, you're paid badly, and you don't have much room to advance, but you're still working as a team. Don't make others pick up your slack.

HR - What a cluster. I was given an official hire letter 2 months before I actually started working. We weren't given online access to vital job systems, any instructions on sick leave, who's role was what, none of it. All had to be figured out on your own. This could be attributed to not having an FC-specific HR person, but the unpreparedness of such a large company baffled me. Once we eventually did get an HR person at the FC, she was a recent graduate and spends much of her time chatting about non-work things with managers while eating donuts. The fact I know she's making enough money to live comfortably, while I have sweat running down my back while worrying about being evicted, is morale-breaking while at work.

Drivers - The drivers Amazon uses aren't the brightest, but hey, they get the job done (sometimes. If they feel like it. Etc.).

Advice to Management

Figure out who your poor managers are and correct this. Fix HR. Incentivize employees to stick around. Encourage improvement and reward it. Give opportunity for advancement in pay, role, and responsibility.

Showing 20 of 28,932 reviews