Amazon Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Amazon Web Services is the best if you love massive scale"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome technology
    Lots of smart, hardworking people
    Interesting challenges
    Massive scale

Cons

Good internal tools that don't always work well together
    Not great 401k matching

2. "Great Culture and People with lots of Positives!"

Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people aka Teams and Managers around you.
    Types and number of systems in use.
    Flexibility to pursue interests/projects

Cons

Sudden Org changes
    Job role changes
    Communication delivery
    Progress paths not defined

Advice to Management

Working on change management process vs overnight major re-works should be considered.
    Ensuring that org/job role changes take into account how it will affect the employees personal alignment/level of purpose fulfilled during the change(s) and afterwards.

3. "Excellent summer job"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, solid management, great hours

Cons

It can be somewhat impersonal

4. "Pays the Bills"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people to work with. The hours are very flexible and excellent for a part-time position.

Cons

The training is poor, and injuries are common. The work is very tedious, and not very stimulating.

Advice to Management

Standardize the training, and retrain the ambassadors. They give conflicting advice and leave new hires confused. Additionally, they should practice more effective stretching and pallet building exercises.

"Lies about hours, does not actually want to employ anyone"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No interview to obtain job

Cons

Only 15 hours/week, not 28-32 as claimed

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, have some basic human decency. When people pass out or die of heat exhaustion then fix the problem.

"Supplemental Income"

Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - I worked on a set schedule for 3 months then switched to a pick-your-own schedule. This works great to pick up shifts around school or another job, but is terrible to rely on.

The Work - It's very repetitive, with just enough variety to keep it from being soul crushing. The repetitiveness let's you become very good at these tasks quickly. I've never been so skilled at organizing shelves, fridges, and paper bags of stuff.

Active Job - This depends on your FC of course, but there isn't a moment of downtime and there's always something to do. This keeps things from slowing down.

Job Variety - You're gonna start with one of the worst jobs at the warehouse (stowing items into bins). If you put forward a little effort, you'll move to other jobs. These jobs might be more physical or planning oriented, and present a more engaging experience.

Coworkers - Everyone is pretty friendly.

Managers - This is a mixed bag. Some are super friendly, understanding, and savvy. Others are disaffected, uninterested, and rude.

Cons

VTO - Voluntary Time Off can strike a warehouse when they need to get their labor hours down. While they can't force you to take vto when you're a scheduled employee, there's tremendous pressure placed for you to take it.

Advancement - None. There's good job variety within the associate level, but everyone is paid the same. That means the guy working half the speed as you makes the same pay, and that really is disheartening. You're also rarely considered for any job advancement, as the only way up is into management positions that require management experience.

Things Change, A Lot - You're going to have to be comfortable with processes and procedures changing business wide (like a new scanner software) or day-by-day with management. I've seen managers chastise us in all-group meetings for putting empty carts in a location and recommend another location, and for a different manager to berate us for putting them in the recommended spot.

Pay - You're not going to get rich here. You should expect this, but that doesn't change it from being a con.

Coworkers - I mentioned that they're friendly, but some of them you will constantly question why they're there. Very slow or don't put any effort. Sure, you're paid badly, and you don't have much room to advance, but you're still working as a team. Don't make others pick up your slack.

HR - What a cluster. I was given an official hire letter 2 months before I actually started working. We weren't given online access to vital job systems, any instructions on sick leave, who's role was what, none of it. All had to be figured out on your own. This could be attributed to not having an FC-specific HR person, but the unpreparedness of such a large company baffled me. Once we eventually did get an HR person at the FC, she was a recent graduate and spends much of her time chatting about non-work things with managers while eating donuts. The fact I know she's making enough money to live comfortably, while I have sweat running down my back while worrying about being evicted, is morale-breaking while at work.

Drivers - The drivers Amazon uses aren't the brightest, but hey, they get the job done (sometimes. If they feel like it. Etc.).

Advice to Management

Figure out who your poor managers are and correct this. Fix HR. Incentivize employees to stick around. Encourage improvement and reward it. Give opportunity for advancement in pay, role, and responsibility.

7. "The Hype Doesn't Match Up (Amazon Flex)"

Current Contractor - Class A Truck Driver in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Class A Truck Driver in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon Flex offers you the chance to work independently at your own pace to complete package deliveries from their Prime service. You can use any personal vehicle you want so long as your vehicle provides cover to protect packages from the elements. (I personally use a small pickup truck with a canopy.) It's a good way to see parts of your home city that maybe you don't necessarily see. The Flex app, while wonky sometimes, is fairly user friendly. You get to tell them when you're available.

Cons

The reality of it though is that you're completely at the mercy of availability and whatever Amazon wants to pay you. Unlike a real private contractor, you can't negotiate your pay. There is no reimbursement for fuel costs or wear and tear on your vehicle. Insurance costs come out of your own pocket. Taxes at the end of the year will come back and bite you hard as you might end up owing Uncle Sam thousands if you do Flex regularly. Once you figure in the cost for fuel, insurance, taxes, and vehicle maintenance costs, you'll be lucky to make around minimum wage (depending on your state). By comparison, I was making around $16 an hour four years ago working for USPS. That number is probably around $18 an hour today, which is what Amazon is currently paying in my area. It's borderline criminal.

I mentioned this in my "Pros" section, but the app does have its problems. It can't currently recognize your directional bearing, which means it will give you directions that are sub-optimal. Sometimes you'll get a group of deliveries in a close area that could've been suggested to bring together on foot, but the app isn't intelligent enough to let you know that. This results in alot of wasted time and energy. Packages aren't really optimized well in regards of where you load as opposed to where you deliver. I'll often have to climb into the bed of my truck to get a package that got loaded into the back, which wastes time and energy. Ideally, it should go "last in, first out" in terms of your deliveries. If you're trying to do multiple blocks in a day or optimizing your profits, speed matters. I really wish I had a contractor's canopy on my truck, the kind that has opening doors on all sides.

Getting delivery blocks can be like pulling your own teeth too. While I can usually manage getting a few blocks a week, it's often because I've become completely OCD about checking the app for available blocks. They do offer you a reserved block once a week, but usually you'll only get a few hours to accept or you lose it. If you aren't logged into the app constantly (which it will log you out for inactivity), you will miss any notifications for available blocks.

Pets (particularly dogs) are an occupational hazard.

Advice to Management

The Amazon Flex app needs more development. Pay should be somewhere around $25-30 an hour in order to keep pace with the pay rate from competitors like the Postal Service or UPS.

"Hard work and metric based"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

Benefits are very nice. Flexibility is earned. Shift swapping sint so hard considering how many work here.

Cons

Metrics and professionalism is all your upper management cares about. If you plan on slacking it can be tricky to stay on this job.

"Decent Job"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for extra hours, generally positive work environment, very little stress and a straightforward and simple job.

Cons

Surprisingly disorganized for such a successful company. It took 5 weeks for me to get a card with access to the building and to clock in and out. The application process also took an insane amount of time. It was almost 3 months between my initial application and my first day.

"AWS: Workaholics"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing business, interesting problems to solve

Cons

Work/Life balance is terrible.
    Emails from Senior management at 1AM and on the weekend.
    They think they own you.
    Restrictive rules that basically rule out working on open source projects.

Showing 16 of 26,809 reviews