Amazon Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Excellent summer job"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, solid management, great hours

Cons

It can be somewhat impersonal

2. "Great Culture and People with lots of Positives!"

Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Support En in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people aka Teams and Managers around you.
    Types and number of systems in use.
    Flexibility to pursue interests/projects

Cons

Sudden Org changes
    Job role changes
    Communication delivery
    Progress paths not defined

Advice to Management

Working on change management process vs overnight major re-works should be considered.
    Ensuring that org/job role changes take into account how it will affect the employees personal alignment/level of purpose fulfilled during the change(s) and afterwards.

3. "Always new things to learn"

Current Employee - Seasonal Equipment Coordinator in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Seasonal Equipment Coordinator in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a Seasonal Equipment Coordinator, I am always learning and encountering new challenges. This help build my skills and see IT in a new whole perspective of understanding the field work. Lots of information to help build someone's skills up from the ground with great many challenges.

Cons

Information can also be obsolete, vague, or not categorized to department. Lot's of gray area to create possible mistakes.

Advice to Management

Mentorship and coaching would be a great help to learn from each other and clarify obsolete, vague, and non-categorized information of each department.

"Best job I ever had"

Former Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Associate- Reserves Program in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -work from home
    -paid training
    -work as much or little as you'd like
    -good side job for extra income or if you are a stay at home parent like me and want to earn some money for yourself.

Cons

None that I can think of. I loved my job. I had to put in my two weeks due to moving and could not get the same internet speeds required to do my job.

Advice to Management

No advice, I had an amazing experience being an employee for Amazon. I was always treated amazing by management.

5. "Pays the Bills"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people to work with. The hours are very flexible and excellent for a part-time position.

Cons

The training is poor, and injuries are common. The work is very tedious, and not very stimulating.

Advice to Management

Standardize the training, and retrain the ambassadors. They give conflicting advice and leave new hires confused. Additionally, they should practice more effective stretching and pallet building exercises.

"Not a Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mass hiring events, minimal screening, no experience required. They hire all the people they can get. Good if you are desperate for money.

Cons

Others can say Amazon PDX-5 Hillsboro Sortation Center is either a good or a bad place to work but there's no denying the fact that this site is a revolving door. Seasonal employees come to work and go in a matter of weeks - they never need to be laid-off or terminated, they just simply quit. Out of the original 300+ regular/permanent employees, at least on my shift, only about a fifth remain and they fill in the void with batches of seasonals on a weekly basis! This fact says a lot on how bad this company is being managed.

Advice to Management

I suppose that all those perpetual "We Are Hiring" sponsored ads in the internet and massive banners all over Portland cost Amazon a ton of money. Instead maybe getting competent managers and treating your employees justly can be a least cost effective strategy in retaining valuable manpower? But then, who am I to question their policy of maltreating their own employees that made them one of the largest companies in the world and made that man one of the richest.

"Lies about hours, does not actually want to employ anyone"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No interview to obtain job

Cons

Only 15 hours/week, not 28-32 as claimed

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, have some basic human decency. When people pass out or die of heat exhaustion then fix the problem.

"Amazon is the best"

Current Employee - Part-Time Seasonal Sortation Associate in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Part-Time Seasonal Sortation Associate in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional company with high standard policies.

Cons

Poor management with lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees and less on the numbers.

"Easy Money Work"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

If you excel at talking loud for hours non stop then there is a future for you here. You have to make sure to let the site manager notice you, like shouting the line where you're at, or at best, wait for the manager to come close then be loud as you can so you will be noticed. And you'll be a Line Lead/Ambassador in a jiffy! No higher education required!

Cons

If you have low tolerance for the work of the inept or you are used to work in an environment that imposes high degree of employee accountability, this company is not for you. Management gives higher premium for quantity over quality and safety.

Advice to Management

None.

"Supplemental Income"

Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - I worked on a set schedule for 3 months then switched to a pick-your-own schedule. This works great to pick up shifts around school or another job, but is terrible to rely on.

The Work - It's very repetitive, with just enough variety to keep it from being soul crushing. The repetitiveness let's you become very good at these tasks quickly. I've never been so skilled at organizing shelves, fridges, and paper bags of stuff.

Active Job - This depends on your FC of course, but there isn't a moment of downtime and there's always something to do. This keeps things from slowing down.

Job Variety - You're gonna start with one of the worst jobs at the warehouse (stowing items into bins). If you put forward a little effort, you'll move to other jobs. These jobs might be more physical or planning oriented, and present a more engaging experience.

Coworkers - Everyone is pretty friendly.

Managers - This is a mixed bag. Some are super friendly, understanding, and savvy. Others are disaffected, uninterested, and rude.

Cons

VTO - Voluntary Time Off can strike a warehouse when they need to get their labor hours down. While they can't force you to take vto when you're a scheduled employee, there's tremendous pressure placed for you to take it.

Advancement - None. There's good job variety within the associate level, but everyone is paid the same. That means the guy working half the speed as you makes the same pay, and that really is disheartening. You're also rarely considered for any job advancement, as the only way up is into management positions that require management experience.

Things Change, A Lot - You're going to have to be comfortable with processes and procedures changing business wide (like a new scanner software) or day-by-day with management. I've seen managers chastise us in all-group meetings for putting empty carts in a location and recommend another location, and for a different manager to berate us for putting them in the recommended spot.

Pay - You're not going to get rich here. You should expect this, but that doesn't change it from being a con.

Coworkers - I mentioned that they're friendly, but some of them you will constantly question why they're there. Very slow or don't put any effort. Sure, you're paid badly, and you don't have much room to advance, but you're still working as a team. Don't make others pick up your slack.

HR - What a cluster. I was given an official hire letter 2 months before I actually started working. We weren't given online access to vital job systems, any instructions on sick leave, who's role was what, none of it. All had to be figured out on your own. This could be attributed to not having an FC-specific HR person, but the unpreparedness of such a large company baffled me. Once we eventually did get an HR person at the FC, she was a recent graduate and spends much of her time chatting about non-work things with managers while eating donuts. The fact I know she's making enough money to live comfortably, while I have sweat running down my back while worrying about being evicted, is morale-breaking while at work.

Drivers - The drivers Amazon uses aren't the brightest, but hey, they get the job done (sometimes. If they feel like it. Etc.).

Advice to Management

Figure out who your poor managers are and correct this. Fix HR. Incentivize employees to stick around. Encourage improvement and reward it. Give opportunity for advancement in pay, role, and responsibility.

Showing 25 of 25,844 reviews