Amazon Principal Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility & Work/Life Balance" (in 607 reviews)

• "You will learn a lot in this place" (in 555 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is tough sometimes" (in 2599 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 536 reviews)

"Life/Work at Amazon"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best reasons? it's a challenging environment with many diverse routes to take in your career assuming you perform well at each stage. People are held accountable for the most part (exceptions everywhere in life). The bar is high which makes for teams that do strive to operate at a level that other companies give up on.

Cons

Careers are made or broken based on the team you join. do your research. And once your in, listen to your instincts. if you feel that you are performing at a mediocre level (and we all know when we are) - chances are it's not un-noticed. If you are struggling to fit in, chances are it's not a fit. If you had anxiety, depression, insecurity before joining Amazon (or any company), no one can fix that but you. If you find yourself too stretched, get a mentor, regroup, take a step back. self-awareness is a blessing and a curse, but essential here.

Advice to Management

be honest and stop pretending that Amazon leadership has a clue about what your team does. chances are good that they don't. sort out your value prop, elevator pitch and ensure that every employee does the same. if you are struggling for headcount, it's because no one knows what you do or the value you bring.

"Principal TPM"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, fast paced environment, wide breadth of products

Cons

Super high expectations, different interpretations to the TPM role

Advice to Management

TPMs should be given more powers

3. "Love Amazon!"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global scope and impact. Numerous learning, mentoring and career growth opportunities. Ability to lead autonomously in an entrepreneurial and results driven environment. Great cross-group collaboration, commitment to goals, and no drama! Well-respected by customers, sellers, vendors, competitors and employees. Strong community and philanthropic involvement and leadership. Customer obsession and other leadership principles are ingrained in the culture and in every decision.

Cons

If you're not self-motivated and if you don't have the ability to deliver results by influencing others with facts, evidence and data, then this is not the place for you. If you want to be an order-taker and be told what needs to get done, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Prioritize and focus on investments that have measurable business value vs. cool technology that may not accrue to the customer or marketplace. I love the time and attention paid to developing SMART goals and leading through these in every aspect of the company.

4. "Operations Program Manager"

Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people
    Very supportive Leadership
    Innovative and fast paced
    Family friendly work environment
    Amazing Peers
    Mature workforce
    Balance approach to worklife .

I have been working for 14+ years in my life and Amazon lab126 is one of the best employers that I consider myself fortunate enough to be working for. I love the people and the culture here. I have never seen so much cohorence to their "leadership principles". I have been able to create some major impacts in the company without a problem. If you have a good idea and would like to contribute to its culture and diversity you are highly valued here.
    The people... the people are you work with are simply amazing. Always ready to deliver, fast paced and fully committed to get it done attitude.
    I love amazon lab126 and would highly highly recommend anyone to work here.

Cons

Perks are not the best
    Can be overwhelming at times
    Traveling constantly

Advice to Management

Think about Employees and Employee benefits more than before.
    Have Empathy in your management approach.
    Create a balanced work culture to encourage people with diverse background to be accommodated from all aspects