Amazon Principal Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Switching to Amazon has turned out great for me."

Current Employee - Principal Video Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Video Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very data-driven
    Passion for customer
    Lots of career growth opportunity
    Freedom to innovate
    Minimum amount of process to deliver high-quality results quickly
    Nimble, able to move fast
    Builder mindset
    Clear thinking around business decisions using the "document" process
    Solid design thinking
    Non-contributors don't last. I've seen several L7 Principals get moved out because they were "coasting"
    Awesome stock progress
    Leadership principles very solid. They are actually followed in hiring, promotion, & daily work
    I've seen execs change for the positive based on system feedback
    "Continuously improve" mentality in all aspects of the company
    Opportunity for career advancement is strong. Fairly clear path for promotion that is employee-driven.
    "Customer first" principle also filters into how HR, IT, and other areas of the company serve the employees.

Cons

High intensity/pressure at times
    As a senior dev, I experienced difficulty transferring teams. This was supposedly corrected in 2016.
    Health care is still fairly expensive (up to $10K out of pocket maximum per year)
    401K match is poor (only $0.50/dollar and up to 2%/4% of salary). No 401K match for stock.
    You get a 4 year deal of stock. In year #5 you take a pretty big reduction in compensation since recently the stock has gone up far faster than the 15% predicted by the corporate compensation model. But anyone would want to trade places with me based on the nice run we've had :-).