Amazon Program Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Amazon Program Management Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2019

4.3
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
  1. "Potential to have huge impact"

Current Employee - Program Management Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to do things people talk about. I mean it - I remember the first time when I heard random people in a tour bus in a different country talking about something my team did at Amazon in the US. There are no textbooks that can teach you do things at Amazon's scale, you get to invent new solutions that never existed before. Sr. Leadership is typically OK with us choosing how we get things done. We get to deal... with ambiguity a lot with little supervision.

Cons

I am concerned that past Sr. Manager level in the company your growth opportunities are limited. While it is true that as a Sr. Manager you can do a lot of interesting things, based on my observations, the average time it takes to organically grow from Sr. Manager to Director are ranging from 5 to 10 years. All this time you will be just Sr. Manager.

Amazon2019-07-11
  2. "Amazon program manager review"

Current Employee - Program Management Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for advancement Broad scope Role flexibility Compensation

Cons

Work life balance Clear hierarchy in pay grades

Advice to Management

Respect direct reports time off.

Amazon2019-08-14
  3. "Great place to start the career"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great scope and visibility Good opportunities to move up the ladder Start-up like environment Fast-Paced

Cons

Work life balance Work place politics

Amazon2019-07-03
  4. "Great place to work for those with high standards and drive."

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High bar; you'll work with the best. Disciplined. Rigorous goal-setting that is consistently measured. Data-driven decision-making. Always something cool & fun (& also usually groundbreaking) to do. Most managers are hands-off once you show you know what you're doing, and you'll get cool opportunities. People are helpful. This is not a place where one or two people can deliver the scope of change that... Amazon bothers with, so asking for help and feedback is almost always accommodated. Senior managers are the hardest working people on campus. And they are humble and relaxing to be around.

Cons

Campus is crowded. If you like peace and quiet, you'll have to work to find it (but you'll find hideaways to get quiet work done).

Advice to Management

Middle management - don't over-index on frugality to the point where it's frupidity. Reward your teams a little more regularly.

Amazon2018-06-07

"Some benefits but tough culture.."

Current Employee - Manager, Program Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership Principles are not just trotted out once a year, they are deeply ingrained and part of the everyday rhetoric. Customer experience is obsessed over. Informal Opportunities for advancement Good medical benefits

Cons

Tough culture to work in - work/life balance is poor, lot of churn, unreasonable expectations from mgmt. at times, unclear roles and responsibilities Document driven culture - if you don't like writing white papers, this is not the company for you. Not a lot of employee perks or benefits in the name of frugality, low on vacation time/holidays Compensation practices can cause some employees to really be underpaid... for the work that they do, others benefit greatly from it, its very inconsistent Terrible cross group coordination, everyone does what they want to do without understanding the impact they will have on other groups.

Advice to Management

Give employees more vacation time and time off on local holidays so they can refresh and recharge. Revamp the compensation structure. Make sure you have the right programs in place to grow and support new people managers. Drive clearer roles and responsibilities and work on improving cross group coordination.

Amazon2018-03-05
  6. "Dream Job"

Current Employee - Program Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the culture, the drive to think outside the box and the ability to help create something amazing! Taking everything I have learned in my industry and using those experiences to be part of one of the most respected names in the world is amazing.

Cons

With such fast paced growth sometimes it's difficult to communicate changes within such a large company but we get better each day.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to those people that are subject matter experts!

Amazon2018-01-20
  7. "Great for many--not good for some"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast moving, growing, innovative company full of smart people. If you are self-motivated and want to get things done, this is your place. Never a dull moment and always challenging or you are working for the wrong team. Ability to move within the company. Dog friendly. Cultural diversity.

Cons

Demands can be brutal--hard to achieve work life balance as you rise through the ranks. Super hard to get promoted. Salary/raises are stingy. RSU's are treated as part of your regular salary. No business class on long-haul flights. Paid holidays are ridiculously low in US.

Advice to Management

Share the profits with the employees. Take care of employees flying 8+ hours per leg. Make it easier to get promoted and receive meaningful raises for hard work--you will be rewarded with more loyalty.

Amazon2017-05-17

"Unrealistically demanding."

Current Employee - Manager, Program Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good exposure, big opportunities. Learned to refine business planning logic, write white-papers, and enhanced my understanding and application of "data driven decisions".

Cons

Unrealistically demanding, level and pay does not escalate in correlation with demands. Environment of negative and critical feedback at all times - in most cases to the detriment of team and individual morale. A culture of never being satisfied or appreciated, regardless of your competency or level of contribution.

Amazon2015-11-04

"Huge, Crazy Organization Growth"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At Amazon, you have tons of opportunity, are well compensated. Strong people who thrive in this type of environment can do very very well.

Cons

Amazon runs 24/7, and work/life balance can be very challenging, especially with young families. It can also be a pretty brutal organization in terms of expectations and feedback, especially true in such a fast growing organization that isn't always so organized due to so many people.

Advice to Management

It is going to be a challenging ride exiting the start-up phase and permanently moving to a very large, structured organization. Resources need to be added to get the company over the hump with structured processes and organizations. This is also very counter to Amazon culture so it will be interesting to see how this changes over time.

Amazon2014-03-03
  10. "Your daily job is far from what is announced in the job description. You're mostly spreadsheet your time on spreadsheet"

Current Employee - Program Management in Luxembourg

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young average age (nice for afterworks) Ambience Personal projects (if you have the time to...)

Cons

Work life balance Performance not rewarded, getting promoted is all about relationship No structure whatsoever, everything is done last minute

Amazon2019-04-09