Amazon Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

May be the best professional growth opportunity you could get. You will be challenged by a dynamic environment, working with very motivated and intelligent individuals and leaders. It is a company that leads in several different market segments through innovation and is changing the world. An ever rising stock price helps too.

Cons

If you don't like a challenge, look elsewhere. But if you want to see how far you can go, definitely consider Amazon.

Advice to Management

Balance constant challenge with requisite training, and ensure that work life balance continues to be maintained.

2. "Love Amazon!"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global scope and impact. Numerous learning, mentoring and career growth opportunities. Ability to lead autonomously in an entrepreneurial and results driven environment. Great cross-group collaboration, commitment to goals, and no drama! Well-respected by customers, sellers, vendors, competitors and employees. Strong community and philanthropic involvement and leadership. Customer obsession and other leadership principles are ingrained in the culture and in every decision.

Cons

If you're not self-motivated and if you don't have the ability to deliver results by influencing others with facts, evidence and data, then this is not the place for you. If you want to be an order-taker and be told what needs to get done, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Prioritize and focus on investments that have measurable business value vs. cool technology that may not accrue to the customer or marketplace. I love the time and attention paid to developing SMART goals and leading through these in every aspect of the company.

3. "Love working at Amazon as a PM"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexibility to work on whatever you want as long as you can tie back value for the company, and have proven yourself to leadership/team

Cons

- harder to move around the company than expected

4. "Happy Amazonian!"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am on a great team with awesome manager who focuses on career development. We have large goals that we work towards each year and find unique ways for accomplishing those goals. It is a fast pace environment but I really enjoy the challenge. I am motivated to come to work every day.

Cons

Amazon is very fast pace which leads to some ambiguity. If you need lots of structure and process, then Amazon is probably not the right fit for you. A lot of times we are figuring out how to do something while execute it.

Advice to Management

I would suggest on focusing more on talent development for strong performers specifically with women and minorities.

5. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon has pushed me outside my comfort zone as result, I have expanded my skill set and become more capable.

Cons

If you are not good at setting boundaries your work-life balance will suffer.

6. "Fun and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On-boarding experience, Salary, Benefits, Bonus structure are all fantastic. The facility, campus, location, are amazing with lots of shops and restaurants near by. I love my view!.

Cons

Commuting from the suburbs takes a lot of time out of my day

7. "Operations Program Manager"

Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people
    Very supportive Leadership
    Innovative and fast paced
    Family friendly work environment
    Amazing Peers
    Mature workforce
    Balance approach to worklife .

I have been working for 14+ years in my life and Amazon lab126 is one of the best employers that I consider myself fortunate enough to be working for. I love the people and the culture here. I have never seen so much cohorence to their "leadership principles". I have been able to create some major impacts in the company without a problem. If you have a good idea and would like to contribute to its culture and diversity you are highly valued here.
    The people... the people are you work with are simply amazing. Always ready to deliver, fast paced and fully committed to get it done attitude.
    I love amazon lab126 and would highly highly recommend anyone to work here.

Cons

Perks are not the best
    Can be overwhelming at times
    Traveling constantly

Advice to Management

Think about Employees and Employee benefits more than before.
    Have Empathy in your management approach.
    Create a balanced work culture to encourage people with diverse background to be accommodated from all aspects

8. "A refreshing change of pace"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday provides new challenges or problems to solve for our customers. I have never once felt board or that my skills were not being used. There is freedom to stretch out and put your skills to use while learning new ones at the same time. The ability to work next to people who have the same motivations and passion that I do has been a breath of fresh air. Seeing everyone embody and use our Leadership Principles everyday is amazing.
    The last part I will add is the same thing I tell people before I will refer them for positions. Make sure you embody all of our leadership principles because if you don't it might not be a good fit. We use them everyday and in all of our decision making. So, if you embody our principles and are looking for challenge and want to be part of history then Amazon might be the place for you.

Cons

I will not argue that it can be stressful here and that there has been long hours and some weekend work, but the stress that I have dealt with has been a different kind of stress. In previous jobs there was the stress of not liking my job or work, stress of missing deadlines or the stress of a micromanaging boss. While I have experienced stress from deadlines its not so much related to getting the task/work done, the stress has been around making sure that it's the best I can do and focuses on meaningful change. So for me, this has been a more positive stress and motivation then anything else, but stress none the less.

9. "Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to expand your career and impact
    free lunch in some subsidiaries
    very open culture

Cons

Very competitive
    You have to be comfortable with fast pace as things move very fast

"A really great work environment"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wanted to wait a year to write this review, as I was so happy working here my first few months that I wanted to have a fuller perspective to write this. After a year in, I have to say I enjoy working here as much as I did the day I started. Amazon is a unique place to work. After having worked at so many tech companies that are run like dictatorships, it's nice to be somewhere where everyone's input is not only listened to, but encouraged. Amazon has an amazing hiring bar and because of this they expect everyone to be contributing to advancing their product. The high hiring bar also means that you will always work with amazingly smart people. You'll never have to pick up the slack for a team mate who just doesn't get it. Everyone is skilled and driven. Managers work constantly with their team to focus on career goals. You let your manager know where you want to be in 1/3/5 years and a clear path is written up on how to get there. Then focus is given to make sure tasks are made available to you to get there, or you find those tasks yourself and take some "bias for action" and just do them.

Cons

Depending on your department or your role, it might be hard to fit your tasks in to a 40 hour week. I had this issue, and brought it up to my manager who worked hard to find ways to ensure I was able to get my work back to 40 hours a week. The effort was there on his part, and I was told that I was allowed to cut myself off at 40 hours, however, I think most people at Amazon are not willing to let their work go like that, myself included. In the end, we did find a way to reduce the workload, but it took some time. Another con may be that Amazon pays less than comparable positions in the area. However, having worked at places where I dreaded going to work everyday, I would much rather be somewhere that I enjoy working while earning a salary that meets my needs nicely. Stock grants make up for any variance. :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thanks!