Amazon Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work. Lots of perks.

Cons

no health insurance for part time employees. Fulltime jobs are hard to get.

2. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - CSA in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - CSA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work from home.

Cons

First, the pay suck compared to a lot of other work from home positions. $10 is nothing compared to progressive who pays $15 to $19 an hour. When you get a temporary position and a shift differential, you are ALWAYS ramped back down after 3 months with your differential taken away. Nothing is permanent. I’ve held like 4 positions in almost 3 years and I cannot land a permanent one. A 25 cent raise every six months and that’s if you are in good standing. You can have 4 months of great work and then 1 week of awfulness and you are written up which means no raise for you because you are not in good standing. Your bad 1 week outweigh all the good you do at Amazon.

Advice to Management

Raise pay. Offer permanent positions. Get rid of the dumb restricted stock and give me my money throughout the year. Don’t let 1 bad thing outweigh all the good you have done for the company.

3. "Garbage management, Bad Co-workers"

Current Employee - Sorter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sorter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Short Shifts, Holiday OT pay

Cons

Everything else, management, co-workers, air filtration

Advice to Management

Learn how to manager the time, give employees a break at the 2 hour mark, Give full 4 hours shifts.

4. "Very low pay. Very stressful"

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Discounts. Paid holidays. Double pay for OT.

Cons

Training is very short, and nobody, including managers, really know what's going on. So you're being thrown to the wolves after 4 - 5 days of training, and have to start taking real calls. Customers are always angry and want free stuff. You will lose all your teeth and hair from being so stressed out. Not worth it.

Advice to Management

Start your CSR's at $12 an hour. Hire managers who can read, write, and properly coach employees.

5. "One of the top in the nation....but the employees are miserable."

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Apex, NC
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Apex, NC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, available overtime hours especially during peak season. Part-time associates who always work hard and it’s a pleasure to work with them.

Cons

Mandatory overtime during peak, frequent drastic changes in standard of work and scheduling, very few of those in management speak or act respectfully toward lower level employees, there’s NO COMMUNICATION, rules are consistently broken with no consequences while others are harshly punished or fired for their transgressions, the floor plan is disorganized and makes no sense, I see new faces everyday, it’s a stressful and poisonous environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Worry less about getting the best numbers at all costs and pay more attention to your employees happiness. Specific tasks should apply to specific job titles. There’s no excuse for not staffing part-time associates because full-time employees from a different department can do the job for free since they have to be there anyway. Also breaks are mandatory, the rushed method of 15 minutes for seasonal and part time associates including walking the entire length of the building twice, isn’t enough. These people are killing them selves. There’s excellence and then there’s extreme.

"It Is What It Is"

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perhaps the difference is that I'm approaching this from late in life. I was thrilled to be hired at 62 and am by far not the oldest. It's hard work and it beats me up almost every night but I feel accomplished. Also, I chose to work and do not have to worry about making rent. The pay is way above minimum and management is firm, but fair. Every workplace has drama, but on Night Sort we all do all of the jobs and are on more/less equal footing. It surprises me that I like it. After a lifetime of job stress in the "cube farm" it's a pleasure to show up, put in the effort, clock out and go home without taking it with me. There are small perks they don't have to do: pizza, candy, Swagbucks, time off at will, T-shirts, gift cards. And you will get in shape.

Cons

It IS physical labor with nowhere to sit down.
    The packages seem to never stop coming down the belt. It helps to be in a good mental place.
    Co-workers who are not supervisors will try to supervise you.
    Decisions are made for the good of the business and not the good of the humans. Just accept this and keep going.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the opportunity and would not change much. It would be helpful if more attention were paid to the upkeep of equipment; i.e. scanners, printers, wrap poles, etc.

7. "Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Flexibility, Growth Potential, Ability to be heard and make a difference in solving real problems in real time. Fantastic organization that still allows you to learn new tricks in spaces you thought you knew well.

Cons

Speed and pace isn't for everyone.

"My experience the good and bad"

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. The people that I work with are turning in to family. We help each other out and make the best of any situation. Majority of the trainers and managers are great and pay attention to the concerns of the associate. I love working here and would love to make this a career.

Cons

I feel that the cons about working for amazon is there is not enough hours. I feel that they have to many people working for my center. They need to let a lot of people go to that we can get full time hours so that we can maintain our bills.

Advice to Management

Some people need more training on there personal people skills. When it come to employees giving advice in a respectful way there should not be attitude thrown back to the employee who is only trying to help better the production.

"Sortation associate"

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is easy to find this job.

Cons

It is a little boring

Advice to Management

give the associates more working time.

10. "Great job!"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, able to do many different tasks at work, very helpful employees and managers.

Cons

Cannot work more than 30 hours per week. Really the only downside

Advice to Management

Allow employees to earn full time status.

Showing 16 of 21,758 reviews