Amazon Recruitment Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 23 reviews

3.6
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

"Great place to do BIG things"

Current Employee - Recruiting Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazon treats you like an adult and you are trusted to do your job and given the freedom to take it as far as you want. The playing field feels more level with processes like sharing docs in meetings in lieu of powerpoint and backing all ideas up with data and experimentation.

Cons

You get the responsibility you ask for and at first this can feel overwhelming and stressful. Since we are doing new things all the time you will deal with a lot of ambiguity and navigate processes that don't feel like a large, more mature organization.

Advice to Management

Continue the culture of trusting your employees and pushing them to question and experiment. Be patient with new staff as it can be hard to navigate initially.

Amazon2018-06-06

"Be warned...Amazon is a company that will date you for one reason and will never marry you."

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The compensation is hard to resist. I was there 8.5 years and was very well compensated during that time. I also had the opportunity to work on world changing products.

Cons

I was a manager and I can tell you that the latest performance management process is set up specifically to allow management to move out tenured employees regardless of their performance. There is a reason why their average tenure is so low now and why the average age of their employees has dropped.

Advice to Management

Simply treat your employees better. Mr Bezos you built your company on our backs but chose to go this direction anyway. You have lost years of tribal knowledge and hard work in the tenured employees you are moving out of the company.

Amazon2019-01-21

"Great People, Toxic and Cut Throat Enviornment"

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really awesome, smart and ambitious people but unfortuneatly they are not in leadership positions. Remote options for employees is a big perk.

Cons

Sweat shop for recruiters, poor hiring on the recruiting side. Sink or swim enviornment, training courses are average at best and then you are expected to hit the ground running. This is a metric driven company even though the leadership team uses the words data driven. They look for agency backgrounds so they can hammer you with numbers, pace and unrealistic goals. Leaders that are not qualified to lead teams but... since there is so much turnover, they are tenured and trusted. Recruiters here dont really have a path for career development. Pay structure is confusing, make sure you do the research on the comp package so you really know what the number is at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Calibrate your interviewers on the recruiting side so you can hire the right folks and set them up for success. Talk to your teams, recognize wins and focus on the positive impact folks are making.

Amazon2019-02-05

"A large work environment with something for most people"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ambiguity can mean a lot of opportunity. Amazon is a great place for people who are self driven and self motivated. There is a real effort to increase diversity and to listen to diverse perspectives-- but it's a long road. There is good intent behind a lot of our initiatives but you can still stumble in to pockets that feel like a tech stereotype of tech bros and happy hours. The nice thing about Amazon is that it's... such a large place that you can find the community and team you're looking for-- it just might take a few iterations.

Cons

Transparent communication is sometimes hard to find. Restructuring and reorging can take an emotional toll on teams and the ambiguity that creates opportunity also creates uncertainty. I would also love to see a greater public investment in to the Seattle community. Regardless of why or how, Amazon had dramatically changed the landscape of a city I adore and I don't think we're great at owning that change and... ensuring that we are publicly working to help the local community. Amazon contributes to a lot, but we don't tell anyone and we don't show it. If you aren't able to be visible within your team, your chances of promotion or advancement are fairly limited. Work should speak for itself, but if other people don't know that you've contributed you'll have a hard time moving up.

Amazon2018-07-18
  5. "Recruiting Manager"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intelligent and hardworking employees who are passionate about the work they do. Culture is creative and inspiring. Lots of flexibility with schedule - you have the opportunity to own your career and make decisions that you feel will impact the company in the most positive manner. Many opportunities for networking and career development. Great benefits, and not just health benefits. The company often brings... musicians and authors onsite for employees to be introduced to at no cost.

Cons

It's a huge company which can leave an employee feeling like a small cog in a big wheel. It can be hard to make as much of an impact as one might be able to at a company of smaller size. Management is ok - there's room for improvement. The company could put more time into leadership training/development.

Advice to Management

While stack ranking is probably something that will continue, leaders should stick to the facts/data rather than opinions when assessing talent across the org/company.

Amazon2018-06-05
  6. "Recruiting Manager"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company that wants you to behave as a owner

Cons

Its a big company , sometime you could feel a little lost

Advice to Management

Keep developing and giving big opportunities to your good performers

Amazon2018-02-09
  7. "I love it here!"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the ability to work like an owner and solve challenges through experiments...sometimes you have success and sometimes you fail. It is the failure that I learn most from. There is comfort in knowing that I can leverage those learnings in the next experiment. I also love that we are always putting the customer first!

Cons

Ambiguity and constant innovation means change... it is not for everyone and can take some getting used to. The key is to build new skills that help you get better at change management and creating a clear path in the face of ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to connect with your teams and understand what is important to them.

Amazon2017-09-19
  8. "Recruiting manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people. Every role is respected You can build what every you want in any department, not just engineering. Great rotation, you can transfer to another part of the company whenever you want.

Cons

It's a grind. When you cup is full, more gets poured in. You often have to deal with a lot of ambiguity and "figure it out".

Amazon2017-08-26

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+Career Development +Opportunities for growth +Great coworkers +Fun environment (dogs!) +work life balance +exciting projects and deliverables

Cons

We don't have a lot of perks like free food, etc. but I don't personally care too much about that.

Amazon2017-06-13
  10. "AWS Recruiting Manager"

Recruiting Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon

Pros

There is no end of opportunities to grow and become a better tech sourcer than at Amazon. You can work right in the trenches with the business groups you are aligned to and feel like you are a part of making history. It is really the best job I have ever had.

Cons

There are times were the Corp. HR doesnt scale or look at how our businesses we support are trending. We need to be as agile as they are and be better partners.

Amazon2017-05-24