Amazon Reviews in Reno, NV | Glassdoor

3.8
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 425 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 339 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1970 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 422 reviews)

1. "Packet"

Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits! Awesome people

Cons

Long hours and it's very repetitive

2. "Some men are very rude to me."

Current Employee - Warehouse Packer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Warehouse Packer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

The pay is good the hours are long. But is nice place to work or is very caring.

Cons

Men are rude and can be aggressive when ask something simple.

Advice to Management

I am an top packer and feel I should always be in back to keep people from getting upset with me because I am packing at such an fast pace.

3. "Inbound Associate but trained in all 3 departments. Pick and ICQA."

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once you get your process down you pretty much work on your own. Once you figure everything out it's relatively easy, but occasionally challenging depending on the day and what process your in. Alot of the people you see complaining are the ones who couldn't cut it. At first it's not easy but you eventually perfect your process. Honestly I make 200 -300% Rate some days by accident. My Record is 487%. But I'm not typical. Also I had a seasoned veteran take me under his wing, and now another veteran from ICQA is doing the same with the hopes I'll transfer. See the rate everyone is complaining about is actually revised every 3 months. They take the last 3 months work-flow and avarage it. Somewhere in the middle is where they set the rate. Except peak, because everything goes into overdrive. I actually spend much if my shift remembering to slow down because I realized I was raising the rates for every one else. Some people have problems making rate, this job isn't for everyone. But most people actually have trouble with the quality aspect. You are only able to make about 1 or 2 mistakes a week or you get written up. 30 day, 60 day, 90, day. 4th written is termination. I got 3 in my first 5 weeks. I was basically fired. But the veteran helped me out and I survived the 90 day "Gauntlet" (you can't make more than 1 mistake a week or your done). It's very rare someone survived the 90 days. In recent memory I'm the only one to do so in a few years, most people tell you to just quit and apply again in 90 days. If you get fired for 4th written your not elegable for re-hire (so I hear). I mastered my process and actually am capable of such a high rate that I've gotten 5 errors and no written because I actually could have afforded 1 more before a written because it's actually a defect per thousand scans. But I don't chance it. Really it's about quality. Also I don't want to raise the rate for everyone else, doesn't make for good relations with co-workers. But it wasn't easy to get where I'm at, and I put alot of effort and focus to become one of the best in my FC. It feels good when they have you come to the desk and show you your actually rated #1 stower in Reno. But, try not to be the best, you might get stuck in that process. There are many different processes in each Department. Also make sure to ask them regularly to get cross trained in a different Department. After Xmas and Aug-oct it gets slow and if your cross trained you can pick up extra time in another Department.

Cons

Training is a joke. A sad rediculous joke. Inadequate is being polite. Basically it's a piece of paper with what I assume is the most basic requirements by law. PPE, (your safety equipment) and the "no duh Sherlock's" of what you shouldn't do to avoid injury or death. And then a binder with some basic information, mostly how to operate the scanners or workstation. Problem is, they recruit trainers every year so basically no one has much experience training. A few do, but mostly the person training you will give you the impression that they just started training people...because they did. And worst part is...Amazon has this rediculous philosophy that you don't necessarily need to actually know how to the job your training people to do, in order to train people to do that job. So a really good possibility that the person training you, has never done that job, and can't even answer the most basic questions about that process unless it on the papers in the binder. Which good chance it's not. But on the bright side, you don't think to ask those questions until way later, because you generally understand so little about your job that you don't even know enough to ask the obvious questions because they aren't obvious due to the sheer lack of understanding the job your doing. Like for instance, if you scan a box and then it doesn't fit in the shelf, then what? Well you could reset the scanner and log back in, and waste 5 minutes, or you could run around until you find a spot and hope you didn't confuse that item with another item in your cage, I mean it's a bunch of brown boxes sometimes.,.right? Or...you can just move the item back to your cage (if you know how) and pick up another item that will fit. Basics of stow process. Not one word of such things durring training. Oh, and don't ask your manager, 9 out of 10 times they don't know either. They're not that kind of manager. Most managers couldn't do your job to save their lives, much less to the standard they require. My boss is cool, she openly admits this, and is respected for it. Ask your PA, which is like your supervisor. They've usually done your job at some point. But mostly ask your problem solver or a veteran. Oh, and READ YOUR SCANNER!! Seems simple enough but hardly anybody does. And I don't mean look at it, READ it. Honestly this advice is the best I can give you, because at the end of the day, it's not a very hard job. It's just hard forming new habits. But once you do, its relatively easy. It just sucks how unprepared you are when they send you out there. As simple as things are sometimes, simple things are only obvious to those who do it everyday. By the way, it's standard policy to hire 2 to 3 times more people that needed because 50% are expected to "wash out" in the first few weeks. They like to say it's because of the high standards, but really it's because the training is inadequate and they don't move people to other processes that they might be better suited for. Granted you need to eventually learn several processes but if they put you in one process and immediately you have problems meeting standards, you are barred from moving to another task. Some people might fare better if they start with something else and work up to a more difficult process. But I guess that's what they mean by hire and develop the best. That is to say, hire the first 30 people who show up and let the one of them who's really good figure it out on their own. That's how you know their the best. Because they figured out how to do the job, despite you. Seriously, their idea of retraining some one before they fire them is to walk up to them and ask " so what do you think the problem is?" Then they ask what you intend to do to fix it. Then they go over something that has nothing to do with the problem your having, like barcode progression. Then they scurry off thinking they accomplished something. I mean come on...I am only allowed to have 2 defects per 3000 units, but the learning department can have a 80% failure rate? I started with 27 other people. After 2 months, there were 5, after 3 months, 3. By 6 months just 2, and now at one year, just me. But then again, this job isn't for everybody. Yet they hire anybody just about anybody. It seems instead of spending a few hours training 30 people who won't survive, they should focus more hours on fewer, more promising prospects

Advice to Management

Get real about "learning" and implement a real training program that is effective and competent. Require people who train to be established in the process they are training for. Amazon

4. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation

Cons

Pay very low compared to the stress. Too much monotonous and hard labour.

Advice to Management

Value the associates

5. "Great college-entry job"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience working for Amazon. Area Managers learn a lot in their first two years but it is fast paced. If you want a desk job, this is not your line of work. Definitely more for the innovative, hands-on type person. Amazon enables you to have a lot of impact if you work hard for it.

Cons

Sometimes a rough environment managing hourly workers that can be disgruntled. You will work a lot during peak season which despite being fun is a little exhausting.

6. "Good benefits and decent pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits for having no previous work experience

Cons

Other employees tend to bring down the moral as well as a couple of the managers that are new/know nothing about processes.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect.

"Amazon Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Growth potential unlimited; I feel well compensated
    - Amazon hires great people so you have competent managers as peers, up, and down
    - The interview process is exaxtly as advertised. Its not easy but no mind gales and no surprises.

Cons

-If you aren't prepared to work hard, this is probably not the place for you
    -If you were entitled in your previous job with parking spaces and corner offices, Amazon is not your company. We don't have them.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing hard

8. "Life@Amazon"

Current Employee - Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reno amazon is a place to work eveyone is very fiendly.

Cons

10 hr work days are tiring and work can become boreing.

Advice to Management

More inside hireing from the floor

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, challenging, innovative, good reputation

Cons

High stress, very fast pace

10. "good but not great"

Current Employee - FC Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - FC Associate in Reno, NV

Pros

Better pay than surrounding warehouses here in Reno NV

Cons

Very physical job. Expect continous heavy lifting.

Showing 23 of 19,193 reviews