Amazon Reviews in Reno, NV | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

"Great college-entry job"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience working for Amazon. Area Managers learn a lot in their first two years but it is fast paced. If you want a desk job, this is not your line of work. Definitely more for the innovative, hands-on type person. Amazon enables you to have a lot of impact if you work hard for it.

Cons

Sometimes a rough environment managing hourly workers that can be disgruntled. You will work a lot during peak season which despite being fun is a little exhausting.

2. "Searching for a better job"

Current Employee - Pack, Dock, Quality in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pack, Dock, Quality in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Physical Job keeps a person in shape, 4 day work week 10 hr shifts, stretching twice a day, positive team energy, no significant drama, somewhat flexible attendance policy. Great HR. Good Managers.

Cons

After every peak season they raise the rate, continuous improvement model. However this is demoralizing because they remove support workers and pressure workers who were meeting rate and doing a great job to work harder, or even do two jobs at once. If the rates are met the managers get a bonus. More pressure should be on line design improvements, and slow downs in the computer process, and less on the lowest paid hardest working team members. The encouragement from managers feels somewhat hollow as it is more about the above and less about recognizing excellence. There has not been a pay raise in 9 years while the cost of living in Reno has at least doubled. This is a low paying job now, equivalent to the pay at In and Out Burger. A very hardworking smart and dedicated full time worker with a family has a struggle. My income went down 1,000 a month after peak, due to loss of overtime and the bonuses that become unattainable due to significant rate ceiling raise. Most hiring is done at peak. By Feb reality sets in. It isn’t fun to go to the foodbank or borrow money to get by. It isn’t great to let family members down by being unable to provide basics while working full time. Thank You

Advice to Management

Walk your talk. Reward excellent employees financially. This will help offset the huge turnover. As a company, know the distinction between success and greed. Success is shared.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can quit anytime you want

Cons

Low pay , no raises for 5 years

Advice to Management

Grow a set of balls

"Not a good choice for a long term career"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work and pay is consistant

Cons

You are not treated as a valued employee, rather, an expendable part of a machine.

"Hard job...but good job"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay. Good benefits. Kept me physically fit.

Cons

Must be able to work hard every day.

"Warehouse Worker"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people to work with, enjoyed learning picking. Benefits are great! With in to learn something new. Never worked in a warehouse before.

Cons

They don't advertise before you're hired or tell you when you're hired that there is a rating system, and you must get 100% everyday or you get fired. Though you get 90 days to prove yourself, they don't tell you after your first three weeks of training you can get a write up, or that once you get your first write up, you have 30 days before it falls off, if you get a second write up before your first one ends, you have to wait two months before that one falls off. Not informing people until it happens is very stressful, during and even after training. Though there are good benefits, you're fired before you can actually take advantage of them. High turnover, mostly in picking, and management. This compromises safety when one is fighting to keep their job, and safety is suppose to be there number one goal at all times.

Advice to Management

Be forthcoming with what one should expect when they start working here. People are out of work, and really need a job when they get it. They work hard when they work for you for 10 hours straight, with only 2 ten minute breaks and a half an hour lunch. People over time come in happy and leave miserable. Really feel a big let down, and deceived. If customers knew what went on in the background, they probably wouldn't mind getting two day shipment instead of one day. The rate rule needs to be changed or attainable. People who follow Amazon has much respect but loses it after they work in the Warehouse. I really wanted to work here.

7. "Some men are very rude to me."

Current Employee - Warehouse Packer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Warehouse Packer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

The pay is good the hours are long. But is nice place to work or is very caring.

Cons

Men are rude and can be aggressive when ask something simple.

Advice to Management

I am an top packer and feel I should always be in back to keep people from getting upset with me because I am packing at such an fast pace.

8. "Packet"

Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Picker/Packer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits! Awesome people

Cons

Long hours and it's very repetitive

"Inbound Associate but trained in all 3 departments. Pick and ICQA."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once you get your process down you pretty much work on your own. Once you figure everything out it's relatively easy, but occasionally challenging depending on the day and what process your in. Alot of the people you see complaining are the ones who couldn't cut it. At first it's not easy but you eventually perfect your process. Honestly I make 200 -300% Rate some days by accident. My Record is 487%. But I'm not typical. Also I had a seasoned veteran take me under his wing, and now another veteran from ICQA is doing the same with the hopes I'll transfer. See the rate everyone is complaining about is actually revised every 3 months. They take the last 3 months work-flow and avarage it. Somewhere in the middle is where they set the rate. Except peak, because everything goes into overdrive. I actually spend much if my shift remembering to slow down because I realized I was raising the rates for every one else. Some people have problems making rate, this job isn't for everyone. But most people actually have trouble with the quality aspect. You are only able to make about 1 or 2 mistakes a week or you get written up. 30 day, 60 day, 90, day. 4th written is termination. I got 3 in my first 5 weeks. I was basically fired. But the veteran helped me out and I survived the 90 day "Gauntlet" (you can't make more than 1 mistake a week or your done). It's very rare someone survived the 90 days. In recent memory I'm the only one to do so in a few years, most people tell you to just quit and apply again in 90 days. If you get fired for 4th written your not elegable for re-hire (so I hear). I mastered my process and actually am capable of such a high rate that I've gotten 5 errors and no written because I actually could have afforded 1 more before a written because it's actually a defect per thousand scans. But I don't chance it. Really it's about quality. Also I don't want to raise the rate for everyone else, doesn't make for good relations with co-workers. But it wasn't easy to get where I'm at, and I put alot of effort and focus to become one of the best in my FC. It feels good when they have you come to the desk and show you your actually rated #1 stower in Reno. But, try not to be the best, you might get stuck in that process. There are many different processes in each Department. Also make sure to ask them regularly to get cross trained in a different Department. After Xmas and Aug-oct it gets slow and if your cross trained you can pick up extra time in another Department.

Cons

Training is a joke. A sad rediculous joke. Inadequate is being polite. Basically it's a piece of paper with what I assume is the most basic requirements by law. PPE, (your safety equipment) and the "no duh Sherlock's" of what you shouldn't do to avoid injury or death. And then a binder with some basic information, mostly how to operate the scanners or workstation. Problem is, they recruit trainers every year so basically no one has much experience training. A few do, but mostly the person training you will give you the impression that they just started training people...because they did. And worst part is...Amazon has this rediculous philosophy that you don't necessarily need to actually know how to the job your training people to do, in order to train people to do that job. So a really good possibility that the person training you, has never done that job, and can't even answer the most basic questions about that process unless it on the papers in the binder. Which good chance it's not. But on the bright side, you don't think to ask those questions until way later, because you generally understand so little about your job that you don't even know enough to ask the obvious questions because they aren't obvious due to the sheer lack of understanding the job your doing. Like for instance, if you scan a box and then it doesn't fit in the shelf, then what? Well you could reset the scanner and log back in, and waste 5 minutes, or you could run around until you find a spot and hope you didn't confuse that item with another item in your cage, I mean it's a bunch of brown boxes sometimes.,.right? Or...you can just move the item back to your cage (if you know how) and pick up another item that will fit. Basics of stow process. Not one word of such things durring training. Oh, and don't ask your manager, 9 out of 10 times they don't know either. They're not that kind of manager. Most managers couldn't do your job to save their lives, much less to the standard they require. My boss is cool, she openly admits this, and is respected for it. Ask your PA, which is like your supervisor. They've usually done your job at some point. But mostly ask your problem solver or a veteran. Oh, and READ YOUR SCANNER!! Seems simple enough but hardly anybody does. And I don't mean look at it, READ it. Honestly this advice is the best I can give you, because at the end of the day, it's not a very hard job. It's just hard forming new habits. But once you do, its relatively easy. It just sucks how unprepared you are when they send you out there. As simple as things are sometimes, simple things are only obvious to those who do it everyday. By the way, it's standard policy to hire 2 to 3 times more people that needed because 50% are expected to "wash out" in the first few weeks. They like to say it's because of the high standards, but really it's because the training is inadequate and they don't move people to other processes that they might be better suited for. Granted you need to eventually learn several processes but if they put you in one process and immediately you have problems meeting standards, you are barred from moving to another task. Some people might fare better if they start with something else and work up to a more difficult process. But I guess that's what they mean by hire and develop the best. That is to say, hire the first 30 people who show up and let the one of them who's really good figure it out on their own. That's how you know their the best. Because they figured out how to do the job, despite you. Seriously, their idea of retraining some one before they fire them is to walk up to them and ask " so what do you think the problem is?" Then they ask what you intend to do to fix it. Then they go over something that has nothing to do with the problem your having, like barcode progression. Then they scurry off thinking they accomplished something. I mean come on...I am only allowed to have 2 defects per 3000 units, but the learning department can have a 80% failure rate? I started with 27 other people. After 2 months, there were 5, after 3 months, 3. By 6 months just 2, and now at one year, just me. But then again, this job isn't for everybody. Yet they hire anybody just about anybody. It seems instead of spending a few hours training 30 people who won't survive, they should focus more hours on fewer, more promising prospects

Advice to Management

Get real about "learning" and implement a real training program that is effective and competent. Require people who train to be established in the process they are training for. Amazon

10. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation

Cons

Pay very low compared to the stress. Too much monotonous and hard labour.

Advice to Management

Value the associates

Showing 28 of 24,507 reviews