Amazon Retail Sales and Service Experience Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
21,945 Ratings
  1. "Assit"

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Good company and logistics system

Cons

Heavy stuff drive a lot everyday is a rush

Amazon2020-03-05

"You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Amazon2016-01-11
  3. Helpful (2074)

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth. You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Amazon2016-02-21

"Amazing company and the most driven and smartest of the people"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

- You can learn a lot very quickly in a very short time - Surrounded with nothing but incredibly smart and driven individuals. - Compensation is well beyond my expectations, and more than suitable. - Exciting projects all across the company that keep you interested and focused. - Amazon is changing the world

Cons

- Can be overwhelming, very steep learning curve - Can be difficult to keep up if you are not self motivated

Amazon2018-12-03

"An Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Amazon for a month now, and I've seen none of the horror stories being communicated to the public, although Amazon is a large enough company that I'm sure there are good pockets and bad pockets. Everyone here is really smart, and wants to succeed both personally, and as a company. People collaborate and help each other, focus on data, and truly focus on the customer. Every company I've ever worked for talks about how important the customer is, but on day 2, they're forgotten. Amazon seems to genuinely focus on what's best for the customer, and it's awesome to be in meetings where people actually bring that up, and make decisions focused on long-term customer satisfaction. The opportunities to learn here are literally unlimited, and the opportunity to take on new responsibility is as well. I honestly believe you can be as awesome as you want here.

Cons

No cons, so far - seriously. Like I said, I'm sure Amazon has some bad pockets in it here and there, but this is an amazing job, an amazing opportunity, and the biggest thing I have to complain about is that it's a little chilly in our building. I can live with that. Does Amazon demand high quality, measurable results? Yes! Is it hard work? Yes! Is it rewarding? Yes! So I'm not calling that a 'con'. Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse.

Amazon2018-02-23

"Can be amazing for some people, horrible for others"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazon is doing lot's of cool stuff...but lots of boring stuff too. There are really well run teams...and very badly run teams. The experience for software managers and engineers is all over the board, from really run low operational load teams to teams where people burn out after a year. - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. You can generally expect that anyone who's been here for more than 2 years is competent and motivated or they wouldn't have survived. You can count on them as long as your priorities are aligned. There aren't many slackers here, and they don't survive long. - We work on so much stuff that there's always an opportunity to find amazing cool stuff to work on (note that it's an 'opportunity', one that you have to pursue) - A chance to make a huge difference - A place where you can learn a lot about all kinds of things, both technical and about yourself - Amazon encourages high mobility - even your manager can't prevent you from moving to another team within 6 weeks (normally, more than a few months under unusual conditions). - Your friends and family have actually heard of the place you work and have at least a vague notion of what Amazon does without you having to explain

Cons

- You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do. No one is going to take you by the hand and help you with that. - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. The strong survive and the weak perish (metaphorically speaking) and the 'bar' is constantly increasing. The level of performance that would have been acceptable five years ago will get you canned today. It's a kind of crucible that'll help you develop a harder edge, if you can survive, that can serve you well in your career and in life, but it's often not a pleasant experience. I wouldn't recommend it as a place to work for just anyone.

Amazon2013-12-17

"We are now in a world where we are condescended to by our inferiors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company gets A list performance from C list employees. The culture is quick and hard charging. You are always working in relevant and meaningful projects.

Cons

Maybe because the company recruits C listers who have neither merit (intelligence, strategic vision) nor pedigree (academic or professional accomplishments), most of those who become successful do so in treacherous, low cunning ways. Imagine the Lannisters in Game of Thrones attacking the Starks in Game of Thrones; or Rawls and Burrell attacking McNulty and Daniels in The Wire; or Barrow and O'Brien attacking Mr Bates in Downton Abbey. This is every day leadership behavior at Amazon. The culture at Amazon is so infested with these middling talent weasels who have juked the stats and schemed their way to positions of power that new employees coming in actually start thinking that this behavior is normal and expected if you want to "manage people." The work itself was stimulating and fulfilling, but the sneering condescension of the d bags that cheated and skated their way through high school and party colleges, then just converted their winky nod nod good 'ol boy shenanigans into a "ask no questions, have no introspection" company culture have made manifest some of the worst criticisms of capitalism. Any left leaning political aspirant would look at this business organism and immediately have content to lash out against the corruption that can come in free enterprise where hard work is not rewarded, and the connected, incestuous, privileged class lounge their way to wealth while treating their employees and customers like some kind of filth their shoe picked up on the street.

Amazon2017-03-23

"Great employer for upward movement"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent room for upward development if you want

Cons

Work/Life balance is sometimes difficult to maintain

Amazon2020-04-05

"Fast promotion if you invest in your own learning"

Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Multiple and never ending opportunities

Cons

There's really no work life balance

Amazon2020-03-21
  10. "The best place to work, loving my work"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Great work culture. You will be working with the smartest people in the Industry and every day you will be working on projects that have a huge impact. 2. It truly is customer first. Every meeting, every discussion is focussed on how to create more value for a customer. You can see that impact passing down to you as an end use of Amazon as well. 3. You will always be ahead of the market in terms of the tool/ technology stack. The learnings at Amazon will help immensely. 4. It is a whole world inside Amazon. Everyone steps up to help you transition in. You can find so many resources within Amazon that will help you immensely. 5. Amazon does so much goodwill, charitable work. This will give you another very important reason to feel proud of the company. More that probably what you hear outside, it does a lot.

Cons

1. Intellectual bar is quite high, which may add some personal pressure on yourself. One thing I realized is once Amazon selects you, they want you to be successful. There is no reason to put this pressure on yourself. They are going to provide you all the help. 2. Its quite fast paced, which is expected especially if you are the biggest and the best.

Amazon2020-04-06