Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

1,012 Ratings

2,312 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth.

You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that the recent NY Times article was all about "isolated incidents". The culture IS abusive and it WILL backfire once stock value starts to drop. I'm an 8 year veteran and I no longer recommend former peers to interview with Amazon.

"No career growth and learning beyond SDE2"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Good compensation compared to other companies in Seattle (except may be Google and Facebook).
    * Seattle has lower taxes and rent (compared to bay area).
    * There are lot of smart people around, and easy to find mentors.

Cons

* Pretense of customer obsession while everyone is trying to promote themselves.
    * Became extremely political in recent years and lot of backtalk within team.
    * Over hiring results in less interesting work per engineer.
    * Career opportunities and learning is not great as most engineers end up doing mediocre work and managers are only interested in hiring more people.
    * For senior engineers, most of the time is spent in mentoring new hires and interns.
    * Management only focus on the top-tier engineers, and rest of the engineers are completely neglected.
    * If you join as SDE2, moving to SDE3 and above and is pretty much unpredictable and takes anywhere from 3-8 years.

Advice to Management

* Don't be biased to the top-performers
    * Do not over hire if there is not enough work in the team, this is not sustainable.

"Better the devil you know"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company isn't going anywhere so no chance of getting laid off. I can wear whatever I want to work which is something I never expected to appreciate as much as I do. The pay is good and benefits are competitive. I like the people I work with.

Cons

The environment is aggressive and toothy. It's not as described in the New York Times article, but there are some people who get away with being bullies. They are often people in senior roles and keep it just under what is egregious and so it's hard to do anything about it. And, I believe that calling out a senior leader would be career ending. I'm not a newbie - I've been here close to 10 years, so I am used to it. But, it's demoralizing and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees pointedly about how they are treated. Create a way for employees to anonymously report bullying behavior to avoid fear of retaliation. This happens routinely, particularly to women.

"Challenging, often rewarding, not always worth it"

Current Employee - Senior Developer/Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer/Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned more and did more in my first year at Amazon than I had in the last four years at my previous company. I felt like I was really contributing to something worth doing. One of my managers was excellent - he worked hard to protect us from bureaucracy and truly cared about our well-being.

We really believe and strive to practice the leadership principles. They aren't just empty corporate BS. A junior engineer can speak up for customer obsession or frugality and be heard in a room full of senior management. The LPs are genuinely empowering.

Cons

Amazon is a mixed bag. You might be hired into a healthy team with a reasonable ops load and feasible deadlines, or you might be hired into a dumpster fire everyone is looking for a chance to jump out of. Setting expectations with your new boss can help, but only goes so far.

Advice to Management

Don't push hard for a deadline if the most compelling reason for that deadline is that you told your leadership team that you'd meet that deadline. Work backwards from the customer instead. Does the customer want a service that's half-baked and supported by the new team you hired after the old team burned out? No. The customer doesn't want that. If your engineers are telling you the schedule has to slip, have the hard conversation with your leadership team, not with your engineers.

5. "A little disappointing"

Current Employee - ICQA in Etna, OH
    Current Employee - ICQA in Etna, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, okay Pay, room to grow

Cons

Do not hold up to their leadership principles

Advice to Management

Follow Leadership Principles

6. "Great Benefits but you earn them working here"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great for medical and dental. Stock is enjoyable if you're offered them with each review. Flex hours and sometimes free food. Mentoring opportunities. Used to have employee discount on Amazon.com.

Cons

Its all about who you know here. Promotions are ridged for whom you know that can get you there. There are large workloads and not enough equal team involvement. Not as diverse as I'd like to see and not many workers of color in management positions. Many people have been in the same role for years with out hope of promotion in the near or ever future.

Advice to Management

Do not lie or embellish to employees on promotions or lead roles. Listen to and care for employees to help them when they are dissatisfied in their role. Allow them to transfer from role instead of hindering them forcing them to leave the company. Do not have favoritism to team members. Treat everyone equal. Support employee transfers and knowledge growth. Develop your people and hold them back.

7. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Impact that your work has
    2. Experience of working in a big company
    3. Opportunity to work on cool things Amazon via internal transfer

Cons

Even though Amazon says that they have created 100,000 new openings in US, they choose to not hire a backfill for people who transition. This really impacts the productivity of the person who is left behind and is responsible for the work left behind.

This results in high dissatisfaction impacting you career growth as the extra work that comes on your plate due to no backfill overwhelms you resulting in less productivity.

Advice to Management

Please be considerate to the needs of each employee and look into the well being of each data point rather than just handling org level well being and aggregated good outputs.

8. "Amazon is Mostly Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, brand recognition, innovation, global, empowering.

Cons

Expensive benefits and no perks.

Advice to Management

Provide free lunch.

9. "My positions with Amazon have included Stow Associate, Receive Associate, Hazmat Stow PA and Shipping Clerk"

Current Employee - Stow Associate, Receive Associate, Hazmat Stow PA and Shipping Clerk in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard without supervision, you can count on being put into indirect functions, where your (scan/stow/receive/pick/pack) rate is not scrutinized. Lots of opportunities for overtime, benefits, (Medical, VCP, RSUs, career training, tuition assistance)

Cons

People in management roles are usually hired right out of college and in many cases are managing people with far more real world experience in the workplace. There is all kinds of turnover in those folks, they either get transferred to other departments within the FC or take transfers to other FCs. With every new AM comes a whole new set of changes to attempt to improves processes. In many cases, the people doing the work day in and day out are not consulted. The scanner guns in our facility are mission critical to our success, but are often in great need of repair or replacement. Communication is often lacking. The culture within the FC can vary dramatically. Inbound is more laid back and workers are judged/evaluated individually. Outbound, because of the nature of job - getting customer packages on the trailer and out the gate by a specific CPT (critical pull time) is a bit more stressful, but the TEAM is evaluated not necessarily the individual. As someone who has spent time in both inbound and outbound, I can tell you that (in our FC) the work ethic is stronger in outbound. I am disappointed that your income earning potential for Tier I, II or III employees max out after three years. Ops and other members of the management team can earn $70-80K annually and even better perks than associates, but a few I have talked to are working 6 days a week and about 70-75 hours weekly. No thanks.

Advice to Management

Getting a promotion is more about how you answer "scenario" questions than specific experience and skill sets you may bring to the table. I have seen more than one AM (area manager) hired straight out of college appear quite lacking in in the areas of critical/analytical thinking and problem solving skills. Most people learn those kinds of skills by doing than by reading/studying. Before implementing changes to improve workflow or a particular process, take a moment to gather feedback from the people working in the trenches. They will often offer insightful advice.

10. "Amazing Company, Terrible Org"

Current Employee - Physical Security Manager
    Current Employee - Physical Security Manager

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon values their employees. Leadership principles actually mean something. It's exciting to be a part of one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Working with global physical security is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

The physical security organization is deeply flawed. There is little to no published career path options, there are no job leveling guidelines, and it's as if the Leadership Principles do not exist with Sr. Managers.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Embrace the leadership principles that have made the company successful and take care of your employees. There is widespread discontent with how disorganized the physical security org is. The global security operation does not align with corporate standards and values.

Showing 2,312 of 17,414 reviews