Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

1,781 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 320 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 727 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 1431 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 310 reviews)

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth.

You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that the recent NY Times article was all about "isolated incidents". The culture IS abusive and it WILL backfire once stock value starts to drop. I'm an 8 year veteran and I no longer recommend former peers to interview with Amazon.

2. "Exceptional opportunities, Culture lives up to its reputation"

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Great opportunities, smart people, pushes you to grow your communications and business case skills

Cons

Constant changing priorities, randomized constantly, lack of transparency in matters that affect your goals and progress, anxiety around unknown unknown's, way too much emphasis on writing and extended discussions justifying ideas. Exec Leadership leads by fear. Not inspirational or worth learning from.

Advice to Management

Start leading in the true sense. Inspire people to action. Lead by values, integrity and by driving ideas that will help Customers in a way that's meaningful to them. Lead by example.

3. "It is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Pack in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Pack in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part of being there is your coworkers. I've met some of the greatest people there. Added benefit is that you lose a ton of weight within the first few months.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. There are good days and awful days.

5. "Driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's hrs if you like to work long hrs

Cons

No good benefits good luck moving up alot of favoritism

Advice to Management

Alot needs to be fixed alot of annoying problems that can be easily fixed but nothing ever gets done

6. "Program Manager"

Pros

The large scale at which the company operates

Cons

High focus on leadership principle

Advice to Management

Focus on results

7. "Meh."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Ruskin, FL
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Ruskin, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady job that will pay the bills.

Cons

Very repetitive and extremely boring in most cases.
    Very little growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Change hiring method.

8. "FC associate"

Current Employee - Problem Solver
    Current Employee - Problem Solver

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Lots of overtime and bonuses

Cons

Worked you like guinea pigs

9. "Process Assistant"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Sumner, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits package including health, dental, and vision
    Room for advancement with competence and commitment
    Company actively supports "auxiliary" programs such as base education
    Great "starter" job to gain experience, help with education, etc.

Cons

Demanding schedule, particularly during peak months
    Demanding workload
    Poor base pay rate
    General poor workplace morale
    Generally poor management
    Poor associate interaction

Advice to Management

Positivity goes a long way. The best managers find time to engage with their associates and learn their strengths and weaknesses, adapting them to fit a business need.
    The amazon leadership principles might be what you live and die by, but don't let them consume you. A little levity goes a long ways in a base production job.

"Kinda crappy"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

* Pay is good
    * Non idiotic approach to engineering
    * I learned a lot about engineering in my year here
    * Pay is pretty good
    * Seattle is a nice place to live I think
    * Teaches you that theres more to life than work by virtue of shoving in your face how distasteful workaholics are

Cons

* The company activly encourages everyone to treat each other like inhuman tools and be crappy to each other. Each leadership principle basically reads "be a crap to the people sitting next to you" or "be super arrogant"
    * The company activly encourages everyone to treat each other like inhuman tools (counts double)
    * Everyone is a tool
    * Code quality is very low. Interviews to get in are pretty easy as far as coding skills and technical knowledge go. I had coworkers writing javascript who didnt know what the DOM is, coworkers that didnt understand how the internet works...I was working on a core service of AWS too
    * The way work is distributed bascially goes as follows - everyone waves there genitalia at each other and whoever is most assertive gets their work of choice.
    * I tried to be nice to people because I naturally tend to put the needs of people sitting next to me over my own and I ended up with piles of everyone elses crapwork on my desk. This never happened to me at previous employers.
    * Low quality assignemtns, low quality work by peers, and everyone being kind of mean to you gradually drains all of the joy of work right out of your soul. People arent as bad as in the NYTimes article by any means, but even people slightly/subtly being crappy to you tolls on your experience as a human being

Advice to Management

I'm used to work being something like "Hello __. We have X work, something you are skilled in, we are not skilled in, and you're at least vaguely interested in doing. Have a crack at it why doncha for some money"

At amazon its "Hey __. Here's a room full of kind of mediocre engineers that want to stab you in the back and crap on you at worst, and not give a crap about you in any way and use you as a tool at best. We have a bunch of crap that needs doing but we're just going to throw you in here and see what ends up happening to you"

Be more like other places please.

"Area Manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

The pay here is great for the position. There's a lot of opportunities to learn in different areas here and develop yourself, if you care to do so. Most employees and associates are fairly outgoing and easy to get along with. Here, you are truly in charge of your success of you like the challenge.

Cons

There's a lot of ambiguity in working here. Working for this company, can be described as a lot of things. You get thrown into the fire of things at times without proper training or understandings. The training here is as poor as it gets. The communication is about as poor as it gets. You will dedicate entire days to your shifts and find yourself with no time to breathe or rest. There's essentially no control over your shift, hours, and it leaves you very lifeless at times. The onboarding process I experienced had to be the worst ever. I sat around for 4 months after being hired to my position before finding out my location and start date. They say they give you 30 days between informal and starting, but that was a lie. They wanted to start me in two weeks. Everything about the culture here is so unorganized and confusing. I recommend this job only if you are interested in working in a warehouse, don't have an outgoing personal life or family to take care of, or want to "own your own development" (which translates to figure things out yourself whenever). There is absolutely no work-life balance here, especially working at a newer facility. You get paid so much because you basically don't have a life of your own anymore.

Advice to Management

Read my cons and try to ask yourself how all that sounds and what you can do to fix those things. Do people really want to work for any company with those complications and how do you think it affects your turnover? Seriously.

Showing 1,781 of 12,537 reviews