Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

1,785 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1676 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 370 reviews)

"Not satisfied"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Stock compensation, bonus, relocation was offered to another State. Those are the only good things I can think of at the moment

Cons

Management, leadership culture, leadership principles are not held through the entire leadership team. Dog eat dog environment. Needs a lot of work

2. "It's a job, not a career"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Quality Assurance (ICQA) - Tier II in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, paid time off, always work so no worries about being short on hours, paid holidays, and you get a small employee discount

Cons

Work most holidays, pay is lacking, crazy work schedule during the peak season (nov-Jan), HR is clueless and couldn't careless about your issues

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, most of them know the job better then you do.

3. "Amazon flex driver"

Current Employee - Amazon Flex Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Amazon Flex Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, good pay, no micromanagement

Cons

Have to frantically refresh the ap to get work. No room for advancement, Poor communication, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for drivers to get shifts work in teams, make drivers feel part of the team instead of slaves.

5. "Lots of micromanaging"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots to do, can be interesting work. Great for getting your foot in the door.

Cons

High turnover. Lots of dumb managers from Microsoft. Very frustrating sometimes since there's a lot of micromanaging

"Amazon Video - Hierarchical, process driven and unpleasant"

Current Employee - Senior Content Acquisition Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Acquisition Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products
    Broadly intelligent staff
    Mostly friendly, if not helpful peers
    Ability to WFH - but frankly you'll be working so much you'll have to work from home whether you want to or now

Cons

Zero transparency about almost everything
    Strict hierarchy that disctates essentially whose opinions matter even if you're an expert and have done the research
    Unable to make a decision on anything even if it's just common sense without 15 pages of data
    Content decision made by finance and marketing not creative staff
    Levels are completely out of whack with some people in the same role having 4-5 years experience and other 10-15
    Long hours, unrealistic expectations and non-stop fire drills
    Culture is awful. Zero work life balance and senior staff hired into the company are it seems made to purposely feel terrible. Constant focus on recruiting due to churn (though they call it constant growth)
    self-service culture is just a way to make you work harder - do your job and that of two other people and also do all of your IT, admin, travel, expenses etc. on your own time.
    IT equipment is so terrible you end up having to buy your own if you actually need to get real work done
    Company is utterly bottlenecked by decision-making being done directly by Bezos and Bezos alone. Crazy as a former Facebook, Google and NBCU employee.
    No communication between different teams to a comical level
    Way too much emphasis on Netflix

Advice to Management

Fix the culture of hierarchy - you shouldn't need to be an L10 to say something in a meeting when you're part of a working group. Fix salaries and levels so they areactually commensurate with experience and ability - it's insulting to experienced staff when titles and levels are so broad. Older staff are all at levels lower than newer less experienced staff. Promotions are based on who you know and how much exposure you get, not work product or ethic.
    Improve terrible salary and benefits ~30-40% below comparative companies with no chance for any upside coupled with a hierarchy, awful titles, little true delegation and horrible hours is not a recipe for success.

7. "Not a terrible but if you want the pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Inbiund Associate in Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Inbiund Associate in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with and I got trained in many functions

Cons

Management was constantly changing and doesn't really knockout functions. No communication. Many favorites

Advice to Management

Actually understand the processes, don't say that one department is more important than another. Take the time at leasto nce each week to actively do a function for 3 to 4 hours at least

8. "Area Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Great salary, great benefits, stocks!!

Cons

I work 2 years for the company. If you are a college grad with an offer, make yourself this question- Are you willing to sacrifice your life balance for money? If your answer is yes, be prepared to be mentally and physically exhausted for ever. If you have a significant other, pet or a hobbie you can forget about it. I lost 20 lbs working here; you get a 20 min lunch but you still need to be on your computer/radio jic they need(they always need you). Being an area manager is being a mini entrepreneur; you have to develop ideas, projects, create processes. If you cannot innovate you will fail. Lastly, you get a grade! CONNECTIONS! Your associates will rate you 1-5 and your performance will be based on that; no matter what you think, if youre the best completed projects and improved processes if your connections are low expect to be call to HR constantly. Expect a lot of OT; I was working 55-65 hrs a week. If you don't have experience in the field and need a company for your resume I'll recommend a this job.

Advice to Management

Management per site it's different. Better recognition to area managers. You will be the soldiers in the front line.

9. "Burns you out"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay - double what I was making prior at MSFT after 3 years

Cons

No work-life balance, constant pressure from leadership, difficult to get promoted (can take up to 4 years every leveling period)

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees, maintain 1:1's and be supportive

"Warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time
    Water fountains available
    And medicine for the aches was available

Cons

Extreme heat
    On you feet 9.5 hrs of the 10hr shift

11. "The Hype Doesn't Match Up (Amazon Flex)"

Current Contractor - Class A Truck Driver in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Class A Truck Driver in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon Flex offers you the chance to work independently at your own pace to complete package deliveries from their Prime service. You can use any personal vehicle you want so long as your vehicle provides cover to protect packages from the elements. (I personally use a small pickup truck with a canopy.) It's a good way to see parts of your home city that maybe you don't necessarily see. The Flex app, while wonky sometimes, is fairly user friendly. You get to tell them when you're available.

Cons

The reality of it though is that you're completely at the mercy of availability and whatever Amazon wants to pay you. Unlike a real private contractor, you can't negotiate your pay. There is no reimbursement for fuel costs or wear and tear on your vehicle. Insurance costs come out of your own pocket. Taxes at the end of the year will come back and bite you hard as you might end up owing Uncle Sam thousands if you do Flex regularly. Once you figure in the cost for fuel, insurance, taxes, and vehicle maintenance costs, you'll be lucky to make around minimum wage (depending on your state). By comparison, I was making around $16 an hour four years ago working for USPS. That number is probably around $18 an hour today, which is what Amazon is currently paying in my area. It's borderline criminal.

I mentioned this in my "Pros" section, but the app does have its problems. It can't currently recognize your directional bearing, which means it will give you directions that are sub-optimal. Sometimes you'll get a group of deliveries in a close area that could've been suggested to bring together on foot, but the app isn't intelligent enough to let you know that. This results in alot of wasted time and energy. Packages aren't really optimized well in regards of where you load as opposed to where you deliver. I'll often have to climb into the bed of my truck to get a package that got loaded into the back, which wastes time and energy. Ideally, it should go "last in, first out" in terms of your deliveries. If you're trying to do multiple blocks in a day or optimizing your profits, speed matters. I really wish I had a contractor's canopy on my truck, the kind that has opening doors on all sides.

Getting delivery blocks can be like pulling your own teeth too. While I can usually manage getting a few blocks a week, it's often because I've become completely OCD about checking the app for available blocks. They do offer you a reserved block once a week, but usually you'll only get a few hours to accept or you lose it. If you aren't logged into the app constantly (which it will log you out for inactivity), you will miss any notifications for available blocks.

Pets (particularly dogs) are an occupational hazard.

Advice to Management

The Amazon Flex app needs more development. Pay should be somewhere around $25-30 an hour in order to keep pace with the pay rate from competitors like the Postal Service or UPS.

Showing 1,785 of 14,744 reviews