Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
1,381 Ratings

3,215 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 335 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 753 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1487 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 317 reviews)

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth.

You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that the recent NY Times article was all about "isolated incidents". The culture IS abusive and it WILL backfire once stock value starts to drop. I'm an 8 year veteran and I no longer recommend former peers to interview with Amazon.

"Customer Service Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Able to pick your own hours when shift bids are available
    Team chat rooms to help while you work in case you get stuck with a strange issue
    Health insurance

Cons

TERRIBLE PAY! Its honestly a joke. They want us to be the backbone and keep all the customers happy but pay garbage. They call you out for any little mistake, you get verbally abused by customers, have to keep them all happy so amazon keeps raking in the money while you are counting your pennies and working long hours, weekends and holidays.
    You get moved up to other positions were you basically take more verbal abuse and get paid the same!
    No motivation...been here 1 year and have changed positions 4 times and have only had a 25 cent pay increase. Depressing to think of all you take for what you get.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS MORE! They are the reason your customers end up happy. If you only knew how many times we are insulted and have to sit and smile and take it. Then we make them ALL HAPPY because thats the motto...we keep YOUR company running for pennies. Appreciate us more...forget your 10% employee discount....How do you expect a person to provide for a family with this pay?!?!

"Fullfilment Associate Full Time Employee Review"

Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, friendly team

Cons

Hard work, long work days, mandatory overtime, very hot dry work environment, excessive heat, overworked, cannot balance family life with work, no weekends off, difficult to change your schedule if needed, too many bosses, much confusion, not enough break time for a 10 hr work day, very physical hard work, heavy lifting for all

Advice to Management

At my Amazon fullfilment center we only have one option, work full time 10 hour days or nothing. I enjoy working at Amazon but 10 hours is much too long for me. Why can't we have the option of part time associate? Other Amazons do that. Or 8 hour days? Please consider. Thank you!

"The Good and the Bad"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth. You will get a chance to work with some of the smartest people you will ever meet. Fast paced environment that allows you to truly leave a mark on something at Amazon, which can be thrilling.

Cons

You will work with some of the most egotistical people you will ever meet. This can be a challenge when trying to build positive team enviroments. Tons of manager changes. I have had more than 13 direct managers in under 6 years at Amazon. The burnout is real. You need to either be willing to work massive hours, or set boundaries and keep them. There will always be someone who is going to stay longer than you, you need to be willing to be ok with the work you put in. Don't become a drone

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway. The best thing that happened to Amazon was the NYT article, which leadership swears was not the reason why we now have paternal leave, no more stack rankings, and no more anytime feedback, but we all know that was the biggest factor.

6. "Good company overall"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for part-time employees

Cons

If you are one of managements "favorites" you will not go any higher than a part-time associate.

7. "Warehouse worker"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits hours. Paid time off

Cons

Work hard night shift really stressful

8. "better than other jobs I've worked, but the schedule and pay are so good for a parent."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

above average pay for entry level position. easy to learn job. full benefits. pto/upt

Cons

long hours of fast paced, mindless work. mandatory overtime,

9. "Customer Service Associate- Reserve"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative -reserve in Acworth, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative -reserve in Acworth, GA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You make your own schedule. Excellent online environment in chat rooms and social media. Leadership uses constructive criticism. Work from home

Cons

Personal technical/internet issues prevent you from working and you get infractions that can ultimately cause you to lose job for problems outside of your control. You also, don't get paid while troubleshooting beyond 5 minutes.

10. "Warehouse- Picker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay good hours Good management

Cons

Stale Environment
    Boring
    Hot warehouse environment
    too much walking!

Advice to Management

sector off the warehouse more smaller sections would raise pick rate and employees wouldn't have to walk as much.

11. "Decent"

Current Employee - Inbound Stow in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Inbound Stow in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time off and great pay with benefits.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged, physically demanding and very minimal mental engagement.

Advice to Management

My manager is fantastic.

Showing 3,215 of 13,382 reviews