Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 22, 2017
12,228 reviews

Full-time Part-time

12,228 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 335 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 753 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1487 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 317 reviews)

"Bigger isn't always better"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, in large part due to stock being a major part of compensation and stock shooting through the roof. Generally smart, driven co-workers. Job security if you do decently well.

Cons

All the cons of a large company continuing to grow quickly - bureaucracy, inefficient use of time/money, churn due to constant restructuring and short turnover, too few employees for the amount of work being requested. Basically, becoming more similar to Microsoft in all the bad ways.

Advice to Management

Explain why strategy is changing, not just that it is. Care more about keeping and developing talent, especially if you're getting a good deal on it.

2. "warehouse associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

becoming aware of various programs and learning ways of company staff when dealing with merchandise

Cons

various techniques used to pick orders and stow items.advanced technology used such as scanners.

Advice to Management

managed 20 to 40 staff associates

3. "Good paying company in a great city"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule; smart people; interesting projects

Cons

Demanding workload; smart people; complicated projects

Advice to Management

observe more government holidays. We want to spend holiday time with family and loved ones. hire more local candidates - we are changing seattle culture very quickly because of the influx of people new to the area.

5. "Pays good but you work for it"

Current Employee - Packing in Petersburg, VA
    Current Employee - Packing in Petersburg, VA

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay for graveyard shift was really good

Cons

Work is very physically strenuous

Advice to Management

Keep moral up

6. "warehouse shipping/forklift"

Former Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well known American business that pays hourly employees well.

Cons

Not consistent with weekly hours.

"Supplemental Income"

Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Prime Now Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - I worked on a set schedule for 3 months then switched to a pick-your-own schedule. This works great to pick up shifts around school or another job, but is terrible to rely on.

The Work - It's very repetitive, with just enough variety to keep it from being soul crushing. The repetitiveness let's you become very good at these tasks quickly. I've never been so skilled at organizing shelves, fridges, and paper bags of stuff.

Active Job - This depends on your FC of course, but there isn't a moment of downtime and there's always something to do. This keeps things from slowing down.

Job Variety - You're gonna start with one of the worst jobs at the warehouse (stowing items into bins). If you put forward a little effort, you'll move to other jobs. These jobs might be more physical or planning oriented, and present a more engaging experience.

Coworkers - Everyone is pretty friendly.

Managers - This is a mixed bag. Some are super friendly, understanding, and savvy. Others are disaffected, uninterested, and rude.

Cons

VTO - Voluntary Time Off can strike a warehouse when they need to get their labor hours down. While they can't force you to take vto when you're a scheduled employee, there's tremendous pressure placed for you to take it.

Advancement - None. There's good job variety within the associate level, but everyone is paid the same. That means the guy working half the speed as you makes the same pay, and that really is disheartening. You're also rarely considered for any job advancement, as the only way up is into management positions that require management experience.

Things Change, A Lot - You're going to have to be comfortable with processes and procedures changing business wide (like a new scanner software) or day-by-day with management. I've seen managers chastise us in all-group meetings for putting empty carts in a location and recommend another location, and for a different manager to berate us for putting them in the recommended spot.

Pay - You're not going to get rich here. You should expect this, but that doesn't change it from being a con.

Coworkers - I mentioned that they're friendly, but some of them you will constantly question why they're there. Very slow or don't put any effort. Sure, you're paid badly, and you don't have much room to advance, but you're still working as a team. Don't make others pick up your slack.

HR - What a cluster. I was given an official hire letter 2 months before I actually started working. We weren't given online access to vital job systems, any instructions on sick leave, who's role was what, none of it. All had to be figured out on your own. This could be attributed to not having an FC-specific HR person, but the unpreparedness of such a large company baffled me. Once we eventually did get an HR person at the FC, she was a recent graduate and spends much of her time chatting about non-work things with managers while eating donuts. The fact I know she's making enough money to live comfortably, while I have sweat running down my back while worrying about being evicted, is morale-breaking while at work.

Drivers - The drivers Amazon uses aren't the brightest, but hey, they get the job done (sometimes. If they feel like it. Etc.).

Advice to Management

Figure out who your poor managers are and correct this. Fix HR. Incentivize employees to stick around. Encourage improvement and reward it. Give opportunity for advancement in pay, role, and responsibility.

"Intern review"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

big company and great works to do

Cons

Too busy during on call in some groups

Advice to Management

Great team working and management

9. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment for new and existing employees

Cons

Nothing seriously bad, just like a normal company

Advice to Management

Keep good working

10. "Great accelerator"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing place to be to push yourself beyond your limits. There's alway interesting work esp for Researchers and Engineers. Huge opportunities for anyone in or wanting to working the ML space.

Cons

Working at Amazon requires solid ownership skills. Without ownership and focus it can be difficult to deal with ambiguity.

11. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is the best place I've worked for teaching and requiring people to be intelligent and thoughtful in their business decisions. If you want to learn how to think and execute intelligently, go to Amazon, learn how to structure your thinking in written formats (business docs), and you'll come out much better for it.

Cons

Amazon gets a bad reputation as being "too intense". I'd say that it's not intense, just focused. The majority of employees are good people and enjoyable to be around, and they care very strongly about furthering the company's success.

Showing 12,228 of 13,321 reviews