Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 17, 2017
4,367 reviews

4,367 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Area Managers learn a lot in their first two years but it is fast paced (in 433 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 358 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 2021 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 426 reviews)

1. "Part time-Seasonal"

Former Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

Easy hiring process, big break area cafeteria with food and drinks you can buy, security personnel on site. Some of the people were cool. Hours were perfect and would work around anyone's schedule. Water stations and good workout on the job.

Cons

No real help when you need it, lots of "figure it out on your own". Other employees seem annoyed when you ask them questions about your job.

Advice to Management

The pay could have been better. And tell your permanent employees to stop rolling their eyes at someone who has a question on their second day. Other than that, my experience was good.

"My thoughts after almost 2 yrs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Post holiday party is amazing
    Lots of happy hours
    Great co-workers that are super smart
    Workspaces are modern, stand up desks provided
    Seattle campus is cool
    Flex Fridays every other week allow people to work from other locations

Cons

Work life balance sucks for some and unfortunately I’m not one of the fortunate ones.
    Some mgmt lacks the ability to understand tasks that they agree to on behalf of their teams. They also ask for explanations on unexplainable items (always fun).
    Understaffing for “the greater good” causes L6s and below to suffer
    Mgmt far up the chain preaches prioritization while forcing business leaders to explain immaterial information in extreme detail
    Micromanagement from above slows down the organization
    Going quickly into “hand off the wheel” mode before things are working as they should

Advice to Management

If someone is living in the office then fix the problem otherwise you will continue to lose good people. Leverage Connection results to weed out bad managers. Understand what people are actually doing and ask before making headcount decisions “am I really saving money?” and “how do I know I’m savings money?”. From my perspective I see a ton of opportunity within the organization that is being missed due to poor people management.

3. "Virtual Customer Serivce UPs and Downs"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good discounts
    gift cards
    work from home
    good pay
    you have a team that can help you
    hour lunch
    paid breaks
    2 15min breaks

Cons

You can literally get wrote up for anything
    You can not I repeat have any sound any your background or you will get wrote up they want you to work in a very quit environment
    There system is always messing up like going in and out
    so sometimes you cant press lunch or break on the csc so it will show up in your daily attendance and they try to get mad at you for that when there system really sucks.
    oh and do not get a power outage because you will get wrote up for that to even though its out of your control.
    they tell you to save you upt time for things like that and let me tell you you UPT mean unpaid time off you only get those little extra hours when you do over time and they only give you two hours.

Advice to Management

Stop writing people up for the smallest things that are out of our controll that makes it really easy to be without a job .you guys should fix your system.Try working on the geo editor because you tell us to use it to locate the driver and direct them to the house but how can we ??when we have to load the page up after they stop driving to see there location .You really should fix your rules about contacting the customers for the driver to because you guys know those drivers are angry and in a rush and you want us to keep clicking over from the customer to them to give direction instead of telling the customer that the driver is going to reach out for direction will you answer the phone

4. "Busy"

Pros

Always on the go, never really an opportunity to be bored with what you are doing. Good staff to work with.

Cons

No cons of working here. It is an amazing company to work with. Again no cons of working here. 👍

5. "Senior Manager"

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

exciting, fastpaced, empowered, ownership, opportunity

Cons

aggressive, ruthless, heartless, skyhighbar, worklifebalance

Advice to Management

treat your teams as humans not machines, work hard play hard is dead, hire directors from within or your culture will erode

6. "Scanner"

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good and the company is flexible

Cons

Not really able to get cross trained as quickly and can boost up the pay

Advice to Management

Offer for people to learn to do other tasks and help grow in the company

7. "Warehouse associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and easy hiring process

Cons

Does not care about employees. It's all profit driven with high expectation form employees.

8. "An Attempt to be Unbiased: There is good and bad, but the scales are tipped toward the bad."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keep in mind that I don't work at HQ in Seattle. I work in the fulfillment network and that seems to be a very different environment from HQ.

-Smart People: I work with genuinely intelligent people daily. They bring new perspectives and information. I can honestly say that I've grown professionally.

-Never a Dull Moment: The work is always changing. I've struggled with monotony in past jobs, but not at Amazon. There is always a new puzzle, project, or question that can be addressed. It makes the day go by fast.

-Opportunity: Amazon is always growing and hiring. New opportunities in almost any role are available.

-Compensation: The pay here is above average. Stock awards are large if you last (most don't).

-Benefits: The health insurance is very good. Additional commentary on benefit sin the Cons section.

-Overall: this is a good place to use as a stepping stone. There is opportunity but you'll shed your fair share of blood and sweat to make the most of it. Like all things, some people genuinely love it while others hate it, and people have views that fall everywhere between these two extremes.

Cons

-Workload/Long Hours: The work is always changing and never ending. There is no Work/Life balance. This is especially true during the peak season (late Oct through Christmas). Amazon has frugality as a leadership principal and it takes it to the extreme. They always try to do more with less (i.e., less people) and that means they expect you to make up the difference.

-"Ambiguity" used as an Excuse: Management likes to say that the job is ambiguous, and that is true. However, regional management uses this term to cover their mistakes when they provide direction and then make 180 degree pivots two or more times before settling on final instructions. All the while the deadlines loom. Another fun instance of "Ambiguity" is when they provide general instructions (with some additional details in questions answered) but then proceed to give feedback using entirely different criteria.

-Lack of Integrity: Amazon has over a dozen leadership principles and none of them are "Integrity." You've probably read other reviews that talk about people backstabbing others. It's true. The culture is dog eat dog. I personally believe that it is due to the annual review process that was in place for years that was a classic rack and stack where the bottom x% of employees were terminated regardless of how well they performed the responsibilities in their job description. It's kind of like that joke: "I don't need to outrun the bear. I just need to outrun you." This sort of mentality leads to throwing other people under the bus and I've heard "I don't care about them, I care about my (insert noun here)" more times than I care for. Don't take me the wrong way. You can find good people here, but it is difficult to find those you can trust.

-No Training: the onboarding process at Amazon is a joke. I received absolutely zero training and many others I've spoken with experienced the same. Often, it is difficult to find any answers at all.

-Chaos: Imagine you need information on something like associate attendance in the warehouse. There are multiple groups who want the same thing and each one has it's own report. The problem? None of the reports agree. Which one you use just depends on which one your manager likes (if they like any of them and don't tell you to make one yourself). All information is like this. It is difficult to find any information want/need. I've asked regional and local site managers with over a decade on the job simple policy or procedure questions that are supposed to be regularly recurring and they had no idea where to find the information.

-Benefits: This is an offshoot of the "Frugality" leadership tenant. Many other companies provide for education benefits, specifically tuition reimbursement. Amazon does not provide this type of education benefits for it's salaried employees. To be fair, they provide a multitude of training options to employees at HQ in Seattle. Working in the field, resources are a little more sparse and you don't have access to those benefits. Amazon recently started a partnership with Lynda.com to provide access to training on a variety of topics, but you'll (of course) need to do this on your own time. 401(k) match is pathetic. They cap their match at 2%.

-General Culture: Upper management in Operations tend to be jerks. I've sat through scores of meetings and heard tongue lashing after tongue lashing. My experience with senior management in other areas is the opposite of this.

Advice to Management

Salaried employees in the fulfillment centers are stretched too thin. Invest in your people more (genuinely, not with lip service) and work to make them value teamwork. Competition is good, but not when it is at the expense of your workplace culture. Creating a culture that values team building and all that it can accomplish (and I mean viewing the entire company as a team) would yield enormous benefits that would positively impact your customer base.

9. "Good Job If You Are Ready"

Former Employee - Amazon Season Associate
    Former Employee - Amazon Season Associate

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

-always something to do so you don't get bored
    - really simple job/ hard to mess up
    -clean facility
    - safe enough enviroment
    - will lose weight due to constant walking back and forth
    -pretty good pay $11.75-12.25 ish range
    -lots of work hours
    -friendly coworkers who will help you learn correctly

Cons

-really leg intensive work, your legs WILL feel terrible after walking/standing while sorting boxes for hours on end
    -one 15 min break and one 30 min break for an 8 hour shift
    -Managers could be rude
    -you MUST be prepared for the physical side of this job if you aren't able to adjust to hard physical labor this isn't the job for you.
    -it's a warehouse job so it is hard to advance your career
    - For some people this job is soul crushing brainless work because same task for 7-8 hours nonstop
    - I quit after a week because i couldn't handle the physical requirements for the job

Advice to Management

throw in another 10 min break somewhere it would really help a lot of people's legs

10. "Virtual Customer Service"

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Work at home. Keeps you busy. Paid training. Supplied equipment.

Cons

Intense at times. Some technology issues. Communication at the individual level could be better.

Advice to Management

Provide actual call training. Most don't resemble the calls in the training modules.

Showing 4,367 of 19,955 reviews