Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 27, 2017
12,302 reviews

Full-time Part-time

12,302 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 335 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 753 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1487 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 317 reviews)

1. "Good to work at Amazon"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things change fast, you always have lots of new things to learn and grows fast.

Cons

Big company, sometimes it wastes time on communicating.

2. "Great accelerator"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing place to be to push yourself beyond your limits. There's alway interesting work esp for Researchers and Engineers. Huge opportunities for anyone in or wanting to working the ML space.

Cons

Working at Amazon requires solid ownership skills. Without ownership and focus it can be difficult to deal with ambiguity.

"Customer Service Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Able to pick your own hours when shift bids are available
    Team chat rooms to help while you work in case you get stuck with a strange issue
    Health insurance

Cons

TERRIBLE PAY! Its honestly a joke. They want us to be the backbone and keep all the customers happy but pay garbage. They call you out for any little mistake, you get verbally abused by customers, have to keep them all happy so amazon keeps raking in the money while you are counting your pennies and working long hours, weekends and holidays.
    You get moved up to other positions were you basically take more verbal abuse and get paid the same!
    No motivation...been here 1 year and have changed positions 4 times and have only had a 25 cent pay increase. Depressing to think of all you take for what you get.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS MORE! They are the reason your customers end up happy. If you only knew how many times we are insulted and have to sit and smile and take it. Then we make them ALL HAPPY because thats the motto...we keep YOUR company running for pennies. Appreciate us more...forget your 10% employee discount....How do you expect a person to provide for a family with this pay?!?!

"Unforgiving Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of exciting projects to work on. Lots of smart people to work and collaborate with.

Cons

There is no down time to relax so big ideas can come to you. Constantly playing catch up.

6. "Senior Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big opportunities, work satisfaction, immediate realization of customer impact, big ROI for the hard work and big impact. Always fun to work on any project.

Cons

Operations load and resource crunch can sometimes affect the productivity and slow down innovation.

7. "TRAINING FOR NEW HIRES ...NEEDS SERIOUS OVERHAUL"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate (Overnight) in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate (Overnight) in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Great benefits.... day one... great pay ...&..schedule....managers extremely nice and willing to help you with anything... I love stowing which is kind of repetitive but I thrive in that type of work because it's repetitive but yet it's still different with each tote

Cons

TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.....
     BREAKS.... we get two 15-minute breaks and one thirty minute lunch you can a 15 minute break with it in the middle of the first four and a half hours but it does not seem like that because sometimes by the time you get to your break area it is time to go back because the warehouse is so large especially if you smoke... no company t-shirts when you get hired on you have to earn points to receive them I ruined one of my favorite shirts on my second day and the points to earn them it takes a long time to accrue enough.......

Advice to Management

The training needs to be overhauled extremely. On my training day I could barely hear over the loudness of the conveyor belts and all the work going on plus we are thrown right into the mix on day one. Especially me as a stower which we are held accountable for our errors. The second we touch a scanner I think it would be way more cost-effective for ICQA....if especially Stower's and Pickers had a full day of training in a classroom with a simulation type Warehouse floor about 50 of us got hired on and we all got write-ups from day one errors which were training days and that is very damaging on MORAL... I don't know anybody who's not going to make a mistake in that environment on day one...... and I would suggest like a A to Z guide for each department on the rules guidelines do's and don'ts example me as a store a guide on the rules of ASIN....BIN ETIQUETTE...SCANNING...."MACHINE GUNNING"...RATES.........WHAT ARE CONSIDERED LOW VELOCITY ITEMS....TOT. Few people I talk to are scared to go to the bathroom because of time off task
    there are still certain sounds and features on my scanner that I still don't even know what they mean or do

SHIRTS when hired... few of us ruined SHIRTS with spilled motor oil & and it makes a few of us frustrated about the weekly raffles which we do love but they're giving away TVs and Fire Sticks but we cannot get a t-shirt when you're hired

And maybe possibly letting us know where problem solvers are so we don't wander aimlessly and cause TOT!

Also having managers lead off with the constructive criticism instead of negative

"Use Caution"

Former Employee - Pit Trainer in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Pit Trainer in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the job and the people I worked with.

Cons

HR makes a routine habit of fabricating reasons to fire people just to reduce payroll.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and don't make up reasons to fire people.

"LOVE!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job Amazon provides a fast paced environment with SO much room for growth, I work with highly intelligent people who have been able to support in my development as well!

Cons

None :) The company is fast paced which for some can be tough but it perfect for me!

10. "Amazon Data Scientist Review"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in South Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in South Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

There are Lots of Resources for you provided by Amazon
    There are a lot Friendly People
    You earn a Good Salary

Cons

You will have to work Long Hours
    The computers are new but the there are Older Software
    There is no air conditioner in most Amazon Work Areas

Advice to Management

I would advice that you make the office a more comfortable place so that your employees will enjoy their time there.

11. "Nice to getting start"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Bar is not that high, and there you could learn lots of stuff

Cons

Payment is not as attractive as other big companies

Showing 12,302 of 13,402 reviews