Amazon 11,875 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 24, 2017
11,875 reviews

Full-time Part-time

11,875 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 327 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 737 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not easy here (in 1452 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 313 reviews)

1. "Amazon is all about the people!"

Current Employee - Tech Specialist in Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Specialist in Kennewick, WA

Pros

They are very people oriented. Both in the way of employees and customers. As an employee, there are so many perks and enjoyable things that make it fun to work there. During the holidays and especially on the cold / snowy days, the management team made chili, pancakes, waffles and other delicious "warming" foods. They pass out candy and all other many of treats to keep everyone going on long days. And, as far as customers, we employees are given the tools to really help them. It's not often that we have to hide behind a policy, because our policy is to leave our customer's with a good experience. Period.

Cons

The schedule is very rigid. You sign up for a schedule that stays the same for at least a few weeks. In my case, I have a schedule that I love. It's a rigid Monday thru Thursday, 10 hour days, and a three day weekend. That's nice. However, it's not a given that I will keep that schedule in the future. I guess it's a "downside" and an "upside" that schedules are bid for, and they are given according to how well you are doing. I've always had the schedule I wanted, but I still have the slight worry that I could be stuck with a schedule that I don't want.

Advice to Management

I think y'all are doing a great job! I've worked for call centers before and I've never enjoyed them as much as I enjoy my job now!

"Great tech company with limited bureaucracy."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

There is little bureaucracy and a relatively flat hierarchy. Many members of senior management have a technical background and are very intelligent. They are also open to ideas and respectful of other employees. One of Amazon's corporate values is frugality which usually leads the company to avoid and cut unnecessary spending such as fancy furniture for senior management, or expensive benefits packages for niche groups. Amazon is a relatively efficient, fun, profitable company to work for.

Cons

The on call schedule can be a serious burden. It limits the ability to make and keep commitments outside of work at times and can be a drain on an employee's family. They are also starting to lose their young, lean company feel. Process sometimes trumps results.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus yourselves on the technology and the people that create the technology. Avoid the temptation to allow corporate fat and excess.

3. "N/A"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Test I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Test I in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Very hospitable working conditions
    * Great people and management
    * Exciting projects to work on

Cons

* Benefits aren't as great as larger companies, but very good overall
    * The Frugality motto can sometimes go a bit too far

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great company."

Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Compensation is fair, work is interesting, and opportunities are vast.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to master.

Advice to Management

I have much respect for our leadership team.

6. "Amazon the super-positive!"

Current Employee - Digital Media Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Operations in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very supportive of your career path and understanding of the demands outside of work. It is one company who despite the economy downturn, continues to grow and stay positive. The main reason for this is the central focus on the customer, their needs and their interests. Another reason they are so successful is innovation, they are very willing to listen to and incorporate ideas from any of their employees. The "all-hands" meetings, held quarterly, are fun and informative. The management is approachable and are willing to help with any aspect of your position, whether its corporate questions down to the individual task.

Cons

Like more companies Amazon holds a review process over the first few months of the year. It consists of each individual goal setting for the year, writing up a self review, a management review, and three to five peer reviews. The reviews are then processed through an detailed and lengthy review process of their own, where a score is determined after comparing the individual to the company's core values and core competencies. This score determines your raise and also follows you throughout your time. So, if you score low, you will have a tougher time moving up or into new positions. It results is some good feedback, however is extremely time-consuming and can be potentially damaging to your Amazon career.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Fun but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA

Pros

There is a lot of freedom, and the sense of ownership is really valuable. Groups are small and usually pretty nimble. Logic usually prevails rather than politics. The customer focus feels nice, and the scale things operate is great. There is always more to learn on both the technical and business fronts, and you don't have a multi year personal backlog then you've got blinders on. If you like a challenge then it is a pretty nice place to work.

Cons

There are a reasonable number of "taxes". Things that need to get done that are pushed top down. While only a few per year, they can end up consuming a good chunk of time. This causes a lot of rework between the many small teams.

Advice to Management

Encourage more learning and bottom up leadership. Maintain the risk reward trade off value, and try not to lose sight of what makes our environment fun and fosters innovation. There is already a lot more we could get out of employees that we do not simply because the energy has dissipated away and no one is really bothering to stir things up.

"Simply great company to work for"

Current Employee - Buying Assistant II in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Buying Assistant II in Miramar, FL

Pros

Great career opportunity and a fun job if you are doing what you like in this company which is I guess 90+% of the employees. They make sure that they hire the right people with desire to work and have fun on the job. The interview process is kind of thorough I my point of view is that it is also effective. They don't want people coming from the street just for the money. They seek for people with passion and expertise in the area that they are applying for. Employees are getting rewarded accordingly with stocks and other benefits.

Cons

Their Headquarters is in Seattle which is not the best state. They have fulfillment centers all over US, however if you would really like to get a job in the Headquarters you have to move to the state were it rains the most throughout the whole USA. In addition, everybody is saying that Seattle has the highest suicide rate because of the weather. If you are applying into FC (fulfillment center) you have less positions to choose from, however you have more states and locations open for opportunity and international revocations are also good opportunity to see the world and enjoy life.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the work that the employees are doing for you and reward them. If has saved you 8 hours a week of your job by automating a process, reward him. Don't think it's his job - it's his creativity and knowledge and everybody likes to be rewarded.

9. "Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Picker/packer-Outbound in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Picker/packer-Outbound in Hebron, KY

Pros

Good pay. Good benifits. Great people. This company is a very good place to work. If you get a chance to work for Amazon.com DO IT!

Cons

During there down seasons they cut your hours. There peak seasons are around Christmas and mid summer. During other times you may see a big drop in hours. They just dont have the orders to put out sometimes. It verys week to week. Late Jan. my hours droped to about 25 a week. There was one week that I only had 12 hours. That is the only reason why I had to quit. It was one of the biggest mistakes in my life.

Advice to Management

Nope they are great. The management at Amazon really care about you. If you need help with anything all you have to do is go to them and say something.

10. "Way to go, Amazon."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great vision with great people.

Cons

Not so good benefits. No paternity leave.

Advice to Management

Doing good!

"Realistic Amazonian"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Smart people with a desire to get stuff done. I really love the intensity of the dialog, competition, and the desire to be the best.

Cons

Getting a bad performance review for reasons outside your control can mean death within the organization. HR policies are unforgiving when people are put into a bad situation due to circumstance. Thankfully, it rarely happens.

Advice to Management

Keep up the intensity level.

Showing 11,875 of 12,940 reviews