Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

12,392 reviews

Current Employees

12,392 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Area Managers learn a lot in their first two years but it is fast paced (in 432 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 358 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 2007 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 424 reviews)

1. "Biz Dev for AWS"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading company in our space (cloud), lots of excitement. Working with super sharp people.

Cons

Although I manage my own schedule, there are times that the high tempo can be tiring. Still, I'd prefer this hands-down to the opposite, lack of business.

2. "Work hard and make history is there motto."

Pros

The discounts are garbage but they put alot of effort to employee development. They have a learning path to help you achieve you goals

Cons

Very fast pace during peak season. You standing up for 10 to 12 hours a day or walking around for that whole time

Advice to Management

Show more flexibility in the hard job we all have

3. "Great company"

Pros

always allow for room to grow

Cons

when it comes to the flex program not always available.

4. "Software Engineering Development role review"

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

* Surrounded by hard working and smart people.
    * A lot to grow and learn
    * Hey bring your dogs

Cons

* Teams can be entirely different from each other so figure out what you sign up to is important.
    * Some teams can have really heavy oncall load

5. "Great place to work - as long as you are a hard worker!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do like to have fun! Also, excellent benefits, stock units, company discount online - and monthly bonuses are great! If you like to work, this is the place for you. Hard work is appreciated, expected, and rewarded. TONS of learning opportunities. Upward mobility for those who aim for it. Break rooms have lots of great, affordable options.

Cons

If you can't be on time, don't bother applying. You have to be dedicated. I really don't have any cons. When reading reviews, take into consideration the tone in which they are written. The majority of the "con" issues I have read is from disgruntled associates who can't manage their time or goof off at work and wonder why their managers call them out on it.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding good workers. Also, hold people accountable when they aren't doing their work.

6. "The Most Customer centric company in the world!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Whats not to like about amazon, we are solving some of the best problems in the world, going above and beyond for customers, working with the smartest of the bunch and working on cutting edge technology

Cons

Career development can sometime be slow and not the best perks in the world

Advice to Management

Employers are customers as well, embrace that more.

7. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor

Pros

I loved my team. The company is a great place to expand your abilities as a recruiter and find success and challenges that are typically outside your comfort zone! I really enjoy a fast-paced environment, so this was a perfect role to be involved with

Cons

You're still a number to this company, and if they're needing to balance the books, they'll do what they have to do (even if it means to terminate you).
    Things changed so quickly that oftentimes there was not enough proper communication from leadership about new goals and expectations.
    Directors and managers would make proud proclamations about "changing lives" and "making waves" within the organization, but did not take the due diligence to retain internal talent and reward great work.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the direction of the team and the ongoing changes within the organization (and how it will affect your employees). Or just don't tell us what you think we want to hear if it's contradictory to the truth.

8. "A good place to learn and grow; not for everyone."

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Solid Leadership Principles.
    -Once you're in, plenty of opportunities to learn and grow doing different things throughout the company, across teams and countries.
    -Solid income and stock.
    -Attracts a lot of cool people.

Cons

-The company is huge and continues to grow, so it can be difficult to make quick progress, even on "agile" teams.
    -I have actually cried (not at my desk, but in a locker room), due to a combination of systemic failings and poor leadership. At the time, I didn't feel empowered to get help from the right teammates in order to address the root cause of the problem, and I felt both helpless and like I let my team down. Not every team is like that one; perhaps these bad situations are inevitable in a big company.
    -Some managers can be stingy about time off or work travel expenses, which makes employees who value frugality (like myself) feel guilty.

Advice to Management

-Managers should be given more time and incentive to ensure they're regularly meeting and engaging with direct reports, and accessible to reports further down the chain.
    -Management should give employees more consistent recognition (some managers do this, some don't) in front of their co-workers and skip levels (in my current org, our director devotes several minutes to positive callouts from managers about individual team members and their progress, which is great).
    -There should be more systematic incentive and cultural encouragement to work cross-functionally and across orgs to prevent teams from working in silos. There are so many missed opportunities and chances to be creative, but leaders get too focused on success in their own areas.
    -HR could use more love. I know it's a big company, but--it would be worth it to make the seemingly small body of HR partners more accessible to employees.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Wear House Worker in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Wear House Worker in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On 4 days off 3 days are awsome. They are wonderful. Management is great and very friendly/ Benefits are great too Most coworkers are really good people with great personalities.

Cons

pay sucks. A billion dollar company could afford to pay its workers a little better than 12.25 per hour. Some coworkers are lazy. Some are complete jerks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

10. "Work hard and it pays off."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up the chain. Don’t be scared to work hard to get where u want to get. They notice the people who put work into the company.

Cons

Hard on your body when your the low man on the totem pole. Breaks could be a little longer not scan to scan.

Showing 12,392 of 19,866 reviews