Amazon Software engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2017
1,387 reviews

software engineer

1,387 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Learn a lot of things and good working environment (in 321 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people in aws (in 725 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 1428 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 311 reviews)

"Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing learning pace from day 1. You literally hit the ground running.
    2. Great colleagues
    3. Very few companies of Amazon's stature

Cons

1. Not for everyone - the environment, the pace, the pressure.
    2. Leave ASAP if you develop health issues
    3. Asked to 'Do it yourself' from beginning. It would have been better if some training were given to reduce ramp-up time.

Advice to Management

1. Lacking in processes - very chaotic from day 1. Repeat issues need to be formally documented for future use.
    2. Improve office space and environment - very dry and tightly packed.

"Don't work here if you came from a startup environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers. Having Amazon on your resume can enhance your career opportunities.

Cons

From engineer to senior managers, even PM, none of them care much about UI/UX, quoting from the management "I don't care about how the product will look like, just make it work first, we can worry about UI later", speaking of "working backward" that company often encourage, in Amazon way is to write a 10+ page of design document, spend 10 hours of reviewing it, rewrite your document several times because your manager doesn't like the introduction paragraph, then later at some point someone says "The navigation flow is not clear to me".

The attrition rate is ridiculous, the people who did the welcome lunch for you most probably won't be the same ones doing the farewell lunch, 50% of people leave within the first year, 80% within the second, from my experience I'd say it's more than that.

Instead of real engineering work, if you prefer to spend most of your time writing emails, doing operational work and playing corporate games to get the promotion then Amazon is probably for you. Oh, and good luck to stick with the same manager that can vouch for your promotion, either you changed the team or they change the manager for you.

Advice to Management

Heavily invest more resource on tooling and infrastructure, encourage more engineering driven culture within the company and please don't treat everyone like an easily replaceable cog, there is a reason that attrition rate is high and don't pretend that's normal.

3. "Exceeded my expectation"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Berkeley, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Thought working for Amazon would be a horrifying experience but it was definitely not. I did not work 80+ per week. I was assigned an interesting project and received supportive guidance from my mentor.

Cons

I did not get to interact with many people from other teams. Also, did not get to know much about company overall structure and vision.

Advice to Management

I was blissed to have a wonderful manager who gave me constructive feedback on my performance. She made my internship experience very fulfilling and pleasant.

"Pushed me to work harder and smarter than ever before."

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked on hard problems with help from a competent team, and had a working product to show for it by the end of my internship.

Cons

The work content is challenging and the "deliver results" environment often means that your deliverables are not bound by a standard 8 hour work day. You will work late if you want to deliver results.

6. "Tech-driven company with great future"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Although it's an e-commerce company on selling things (sometimes cloud resources), the company is tech-driven on most of the points to solve it's problems. Employees are intelligent and helpful. The company is growing steadily and always trying to provide good tools to engineers to deliver better results.

Cons

Amazon has some typical large-size-company problems like complicate collaboration between teams.

Advice to Management

People are leaving and joining the company frequently, which is not good for a steady team formation. The most apparent influence is that one team may be scattered around one floor of the building, which is bad for communication.

"You Learn A Lot"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, fantastic builder tools, fantastic hardware, dogs at work, SLU is great. Great flexibility in terms of hours, working from home, personal time, etc.

Cons

Tiny cog in a big machine, sink or swim culture, tons of attrition, corporate atmosphere, 'frugality' in terms of perks and benefits.

Advice to Management

I understand engineers are coming and going all the time, but perhaps Amazon leadership needs to learn to INVEST in their current employees. I mention sink or swim, because it really is a dog-eat-dog environment. There are some bright lights, and I don't mean people are unfriendly, but I think the difference between Google and Amazon is Google reels you in and makes you comfortable, Amazon tries to spark the fire of competition. The fire was definitely sparked for me, for a time, but eventually I realized we were just spinning wheels, it was never ending, and we never had the investment to show for all our hard work.

8. "Software engineer"

Former Intern - Software Developing Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Developing Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy interview to get the intern.

Cons

the team i was assigned is a totally a mess. As a software engineer, i was assigned to a data scientist team.

9. "Great Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Lot to learn. You get to work with really smart people in the industry. You can always switch teams for better opportunities

Cons

very fast paced. DIfficult to maintain work life balance. sort of rat race, where you always slog out to stay ahead in the race

Advice to Management

Management is great. Keep all the employees in loop and give them update about the future course of action

10. "-"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great learning opportunities and fast growth

Cons

The pace can sometimes be intimidating

11. "Very good"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

Pros

You can serve customers here, which is absolute a very delightful thing.

Cons

There is nothing bad about Amazon. When you think of customers are happy, you will be happy.

Showing 1,387 of 12,472 reviews