Amazon Software engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

1,706 reviews

software engineer

1,706 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 413 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 321 reviews)

Cons

1. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

This is specifically for Alexa Shopping org
    Amazon is a great company. The peculiar culture is amazing. Alexa Shopping is a great place if you want to work for Amazon, experience retail and not be in heat of Alexa or AWS. People do get promoted here, but the culture might not be enjoyable for everyone. Team is growing exponentially.

Cons

This is specifically for Alexa Shopping org
    Amazon is a great company. The peculiar culture is amazing but Alexa Shopping is not. This org is very top-down. Those in top positions make all the decisions. There is a bunch of leadership who have been working together on previous ventures that failed at Amazon and they constitute the elite group of people who can make decisions at Alexa Shopping. Product Managers control the organization. Developers don't matter. Decisions are made without any technical input from the engineers. Management wants 2 week features, which is very hard to do when you are building something so novel and new from the ground up. Also any good project that will take longer than 2 weeks gets discarded, even if it has huge long term potential.
    Basically leadership is so focused on short-term growth and short-term numbers. We incentive people to shop by giving away free money, not by making our experience great. This is why Alexa Shopping will never be inspiring or sucessful.
    Too much politics for promotions. There is an oligarchy of L6+ (Sr Devs and above) that keep to themselves to discuss "big ideas". They spend weeks arguing and they never make any decisions or move forward with anything. Also everyone complicated things in order to get promoted. And devs are scared of change or trying new things.
    When you join you are promised that you will work on Alexa + Natural Language/ Machine Learning. The truth is we do very little of that. All we do is do little integrations with retail systems (checkout, order history, search). The work is not that interesting from a technical side (even though it's all new code).

Advice to Management

The feedback for the org has been consistent for the past few months without much change. You are going to double or triple in number of engineers you have, but you will do so without actually making an impact in the market, which should be the ultimate goal of this

2. "Wicked smart people; some beurocracy"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My teammates are smart, interesting, and nice. I joined straight out of college, and a lot of my teammates were much older (with kids), but we have gotten along great. I'm proud to call them my teammates in the office, and some of us spend time together outside of work as well.

Cons

In my personal experience, my team's charter has changed so much in the last year that it's hard to feel motivated on any particular project (because it just ends up being cancelled). If my team's role and projects stabilized, we could really get cruising.

Advice to Management

I like the sort of distributed management style at Amazon that arises from empowering teams to make their own decisions. When leadership does step in to set an agenda, it should make sure that it doesn't keep yanking a team around on different projects.

3. "Where the best come to get better"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are all really smart and quirky. They love solving the toughest problems in the most efficient way and hoping to change the world while they're at it.

Cons

The weather in Seattle is a little bit of a downer but is worth being at HQ.

4. "Amazon is a great company"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, excellent compensation/benefits, smart people. As long as you put a lot of effort and get work done, you have a nice work-life balance. Management protects Engineers by discouraging overtime.

Agile/Scrum principles are fully adopted. Code reviews are mandated, and helpful. Data security is taken very seriously. Tons of reliable internal tools that make a developer's life easier.

Stock options are another reason to stay. There is a LOT of room to grow for the company. Employee career development is encouraged, with promotion opportunities for effort. Teams outing activities and hackathons help build relationships.

Cons

Company can sometimes be overly frugal, which isn't necessarily bad. There's not as many goodies at work.

Advice to Management

Customers are always first, but don't forget about the health/welfare of employees!

5. "Awesome Company, Loads of learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Loads of learning opportunities.
    2. If you are not happy with your current team, if you are not getting new opportunities to learn/not getting new challenges, you always have the freedom to move to another teams.Amazon is like a bunch of start-ups, there are many new teams and you can apply in another team where you can learn new technologies.
    3. The company is driven by the 14 leadership principles, which make you a complete professional and will help you be a better version of yourself everyday.

Cons

1. Work gets hectic at times.

Advice to Management

The competencies for job roles, across teams has different bar. Make the bar common for each job roles across teams. Managers can influence promotions.Let promotions be handled by Bar raisers.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always Creative, Ideas are encouraged and any change is welcome. Work directly impacts lots of real customers

Cons

Ton of work just like a startup

7. "Good Company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible working time slot, and good working environment, team event, snack, everything is dreamy!

Cons

work is not too much for new employee..

8. "Good for new comer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, a lot to learn, competitive environment

Cons

Frugal, less salary and bad management

9. "Software development engineer"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. everything is fast
    2. learn new technologies
    3. smart teammates

Cons

1. too many urgent deadlines

10. "Software Development Engineer"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You will learn a lot about what it takes to manage a big company
    - You really feel like the owner of the product and even as an engineer you can guide the direction of the business

Cons

- On Call can be rough if you are on a very demanding team such as AWS
    - Free food like other top tech companies would be very nice and would save plenty of time spent eating out to be spent working
    - Being located in downtown Seattle, if you don't live in Seattle parking is expensive and also commuting takes a good amount of time

Showing 1,706 of 18,345 reviews