Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

14,057 reviews

Full-time Part-time

14,057 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 1709 reviews)

• No work life balance around the holidays (in 374 reviews)

1. "Great advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Commnunities Supervisor in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Commnunities Supervisor in Grand Forks, ND

Pros

I'll never complain about the advancement opportunities at Amazon. I was able to move around quite a bit in the company which kept the boredom off

Cons

phone shifts were long and dealing with the elderly callers who didn't understand how to use their computer, let alone order online kept those calls going and annoying.

Advice to Management

I have none. I was given many opportunities that i was very happy with. I really can't complain about it.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

I am very proud to have been a part of Amazon. It could be a frustrating place to work, but it was never boring. I have never felt so mentally stimulated.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard. Jeff Bezos is amazing but he has no concerns for you individually. That didn't bother me at all, but you have to know that going in.

Advice to Management

When I worked there many frustrated me, and I would have passed them on to senior management. Now, however, looking back on what they have achieved, I wouldn't suggest they change anything.

"Interview for SDE-I position"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Extremely smart people. Very open communication. I probably learnt more there in 1 year than all of my education and past work experiences combined. Casual dress code.
    Total ownership of product.

Cons

Total ownership of product. You are responsible for design, development, test, deployment and maintenance. On-call rotations play a bit of havoc with work-life balance, but definitely manageable.

Advice to Management

Allow a bit more freedom to move within the org. Its currently difficult to switch teams due to the rigorous interview process even for current employees. If someone is doing pretty well in their current position, they will do well in their next one at Amazon.

"Amazon.com a good place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New Castle, DE
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in New Castle, DE

Pros

Amazon is a fast paced business that prefers to act rather than wait indefinitely for the perfect solution. The organization is very flat, so responsibility is yours for the taking. They take leadership very seriously, and expect great things from their managers every year.

Cons

Can be long hours, but that comes with any operations job.

Advice to Management

Like many companies, they sometimes approve savings and projects on loosely formed data. I believe Amazon could use learning a more standardized method of data analysis to better understand and validate the projects they take on and approve.

5. "Amazon careers for the future"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great friendly culture. Everyone is hard working but has fun. We are frugal and care about how funds are allocated within the company. There is a lot of growth which means many job opportunities.

Cons

The company is experiencing so much growth that many people are overworked as positions change and others are promoted. There is a lot of back fill but this is also an opportunity for personal growth.

Advice to Management

Amazon should encourage employees to take sick days instead of coming to work to avoid flu bugs spreading to everyone. There are a lot of coughs at work.

"I'm enjoying it"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Able to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Fun, friendly work environment. Interesting projects.
    Amazon is a very challenging workplace. You're expected to get things done very well and very quickly. There are a vast variety of projects, big and small, to work on to stretch your skills. You're not just interacting with other software developers, so you can use it as an opportunity to learn a lot about business in general and people skills.

Cons

Despite the long-term vision of the company executives, it seems that a lot of the lower-level managers have very short-term vision. They will cast your best laid plans asunder in favor of rushing out a completely new project in a very limited timespan so they have something to show in their regular meetings with top executives. As an SDE, you have to learn how to push back and get time to make a solid plan.

Your developer as a programmer may be limited in terms of the developer tools you learn (and can use to pad your resume). Amazon uses a lot of proprietary developer tools.

The on-call rotation is very frustrating and exhausting at times, but it's a necessary evil. It has driven people out of the company. But the severity of it is something that varies greatly from team to team.

Advice to Management

Lower-level managers: Communicate to your reports what your mid-term and long-term goals are more clearly. Push back on features/projects expected to be done within a month.

"Great place for a new college grad - some teams better than others"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

I moved to Seattle right out of college to take a job in the risk management (anti-fraud) department. It was a little intimidating at first, with a learning curve like any job, but after a few months I was doing a lot of productive work. I was given significant responsibility early on and after 3 years, I was the team expert on several major systems.

Work/life balance was pretty good in my department, though I heard stories about others not being as good. Definitely ask your potential manager about pager duty - everyone has it, but it's much worse for some. Eventually we got 12x7 India support, which meant no more being woken up for nighttime production issues. As far as working hours, I put in my 40 hours a week and went home. No weekend work except for the occasional on call. I rarely *ever* put in any overtime, with the only exceptions being around the holiday season, which is considerably busier for most people. My manager was very good about respecting the importance of family and other personal needs. Work schedule is ridiculously flexible (sometimes a bad thing) - generally you could come in at 7 am or at noon, as long as you put in your 40 hours, and no one is counting either.

Benefits are pretty good. You get a bus pass that gets you free unlimited bus rides, including commuter buses. Some pretty famous people come to give talks/book signings for the employees. Parking at Union Station is free after reimbursement if you can get one of the cheap enough lots. Not sure what the situation will be after the move to South Lake Union.

Pretty easy to get promoted within the SDE levels (1/2/3). I think lots of people get promoted from 1 to 2 in the first couple of years - this carried a $15k raise for me.

Technology is fairly up to date compared to other companies. You get a laptop which you can take home with you. Lots of super smart engineers. Casual, informal work environment is nice.

Cons

Operational burden can be rather high; by that I mean you can end up spending a lot of time doing things that are not related to software development (reading lots of email, answering questions asked by employees in other areas, pulling data that your manager needs, metrics, etc.)

Advice to Management

Hire some operational support engineers to let the software engineers focus more on what they do best - developing software.

"Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

+ Limitless opportunity. If you want it, work hard and you can get it.
    + Growth & Change - We've doubled in size in the last 4 years through developing great products and services. With that kind of growth you get to try just about anything you want.

Cons

- Amazon doesn't have a great focus on the satisfaction of their employees. Thus, benefits are light and you should expect much from the company (other than great comp) to keep you satisfied.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation!

9. "Great opportunity if you're hardworking"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

-Lots of responsibility
    -Good pay for an internship
    -A great chance at career advancement within Amazon
    -Internship is well wortht the stress

Cons

-Difficult to obtain access to managers
    -Amazon does not hold your hand, you will simply have to figure most things out
    -Will feel extremely overwhelming in the beginning

Advice to Management

More training for interns, but keep up the challenging atmosphere. Also please hire a more diverse pool of finance interns; right now it feels homogenous!

"Working at Amazon is great!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Hugely innovative company
    * You're never working on the same thing for very long
    * Movement between teams and around the company is encouraged
    * Strong culture of knowledge sharing and collaborative problem-solving, both within your team and throughout the company
    * Amazon's computing needs are among the most extreme in the world--there's never a shortage of challenging problems to solve

Cons

* The benefits package isn't all that great for a company of Amazon's size
    * The culture of frugality has a tendency to disappoint: employee perks are at a minimum here
    * Parental leave policies are bare minimum
    * Stock-based bonuses take a while (years) to kick in

Advice to Management

Nothing really

Showing 14,057 of 15,297 reviews