Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

17,576 reviews

Full-timePart-time

17,576 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We get to learn a lot of things on the job (in 420 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 335 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1954 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 421 reviews)

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Competitive pay, reputable company, decent benefits

Cons

ZERO work/life balance, Inconsistency among departments about Flex time/flexibile scheduling; Managers are not effective at training or developing employees, Managers play favorites and if you aren't part of the "in crowd", you are railroaded out

Advice to Management

Train managers to actually manage people; Offer employees flexibile schedules consistently - should not be left up to managers to decide who gets to work flexibile schedule and who doesn't

"Awful for engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

-smart people to work with
    -fast paced, you get to learn a lot

Cons

- you have to carry a pager
    - incompetent middle managers
    - treats employees like furniture

"Chew you up, spit you out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working for a revolutionary company.
    If you came in when the stock was low -you're in a good spot. If you are coming in now - it's not worth it.

Cons

I worked at Amazon for over 5 years. I put in on avg about 60 hours per week, which is typical for most employees. Work/life balance doesn't exist and you are expected to be available at all hours of the day. I got a call from my boss at 2am once (everything is a fire drill). I would be more understanding if they instilled a sense of appreciation for their employees, but they don't. Lots of work with very little praise. You get tons of criticism though. It's also a very political environment due to their "Top Grading" process. They have to let go 10% of their employees annually and managers are often forced to down grade reviews to meet this curve (this is literally a company goal that all SVPs are held accountable to). I've seen it happen multiple times with out just cause. They've relocated people from all over the world and then a year later fired them. Very little respect for people and their families.

I know I sound like a bitter employee, but I'm really not (I actually left on very good terms). I just want people to know what they are getting themselves into before they do it. If you are thinking about relocating for this company, don't do it. It's too risky (especially if you have a family).

Advice to Management

I know that the customer always comes first, but don't forget about your employees. They aren't as despensable as you might think and it's going to catch up with you.
    Stop running your company like a start-up. You aren't one anymore.

"unhealthy environment with incompetent leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

signing bonus
    stock
    working for very recognizable, seemingly innovative company

Cons

horrible senior management
    no team atmosphere
    high turnover (feels like an entry level cold calling sales factory)
    no respect for employees
    no work / life balance
    unrealistic expectations set on purpose

Advice to Management

value your employees

"An eye opening experience"

Current Employee - ICQA in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - ICQA in Plainfield, IN

Pros

The start off pay is good for this economy. You have the opportunity to work with some really good people.

Cons

The communication between departments is very poor and can use some improvements the training isn't up to par it may last an hour or 15 minutes it depends on the person .

Advice to Management

Treat the people with more respect and you can get more out of them. Things shouldnt be so black and white with the way they treat people.

"Dissatisfied!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Because you work so much, you get to learn a lot.

Cons

Overworked, not fair compensation, work atmosphere sucky.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing so you can lose more talented employees. As soon as the economy turns around, my ex-coworkers are going to start leaving. They are tired of how they have been treated!

"Not worth the effort needed to work here - If you have a family FORGET IT"

Former Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pretty decent salary
    Nice location
    Looks good on resume
    Get to work with some really smart people (doesn't mean they can manage well though)
    Depending on the category, the product samples can be quite nice

Cons

1) The expected work hours are insane and I'm not just talking about the 'holiday push'. I actually worked 70+ hrs for 6 months straight and that still wasn't enough really. Most of the categories are severely understaffed. The strategy seems to offer slightly higher than average salaries but require staff to do the work of two people!

2) Management is worthless. While I can say that most managers I met were incredibly bright people, I can say that almost all of them have ZERO people management skills.

3) MBA recruiting process is a joke. They had the gall to completely change the program AFTER everyone had accepted offers.

4) Benefits are horrible compared to competition.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Get some MANAGEMENT training.

"Burn-out Mill"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Salary. They pay you piles and piles of money and stock, although a good portion of the money is in the form of a bonus that you owe back (prorated) if you leave _for any reason_ during the first year, and a similar scheme for year two.

Cons

This is a place that has no respect for it's employees or any life they may have outside of work. Within 2 weeks of starting, I was informed by my manager that I the other members of the team all worked nights and weekends, and that the same was expected of me. Things went downhill from there, until I was working 80-90 hours each week and burnt out on anything else. Amazon fires a good percentage of its workforce each year, and only gives raises to the top 20%, which produces a culture of extreme fear and competition, with team members sabotaging each other, and plenty of inter- and intra-team politics.

Advice to Management

Genuine creativity can't happen when people are being ground out - many studies show that happiness, not money, are the motivators that give you quality performance from people who work with their minds.

"Give Give Give, Take Take Take - Completely unrealistic quality expectations - give give give take..."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great Quality Aspirations
    Team Effort to Quality Outcome
    Excellent Design Standards
    Intense get it done environment

Cons

Sr. Mng - Utterly unrealistic quality expectations - no time, only mistakes matter and cost dearly
    Amazon doesn't have QA in many groups or they are woefully under staffed
    No Sr QA Mng clout or support (Director/VP)- notice there are zero QA Manger reviews on Amazon
    No refined QA Standards/processes across the board - did I say zero YES
    Double edge review process - don't rock the boat just be loved by all
    Frugality - means QA wont have resources to be successful - just live with it (die with it)
    Software Security Team - PARANOID no open source software tools - who cares about success

Advice to Management

- See Cons
    - Study Cons
    - Act on Cons
    - You do so many things right, but QA is NOT one of them - sustained success depends on it.

"Very discourgaging, miserable, unachievable rate expectations"

Current Employee - Picker, Packer in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Picker, Packer in Whitestown, IN

Pros

Amazon is a huge growing company with excellent benefits, so the chances of a lay-off due to lack of business won't happen.

Cons

We are treated like machines set up to meet impossible rates per hour. Mandatory overtime working 50 to 60 hours a week and it's not even peek season yet. It often reaches 110 degrees in the warehouse. 15 minute breaks are taken up walking across the building to get to the breakroom or outside.

Advice to Management

Treat us like individual human beings, not robots. Instead of trashing books, toys and other goods donate them to Goodwill, Salvation army or other charities! It is such a sinful wastes to just trash all these products when so many people are in need!

Showing 17,576 of 19,148 reviews