Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

19,164 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2090 reviews)

• No work life balance at the FC, unless you are senior level (in 439 reviews)

1. "Slave work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monee, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monee, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits starting on day one

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    Lack of quality supervisors
    Treated like robots/slaves

Advice to Management

People are not robots. Demanding numbers while not caring enough to ask why we are struggling will not work for long. Managers tell us to not use the restroom or refill water bottles unless we are on break... But the breaks dont include travel time in a huge warehouse.. So basically the only way to get your full break is to stay in your work area... Whereyou arent aloud to sit. If its an emergency we are told to document restroom breaks in a journal. If there is 0 work to do at the moment we cant take a quick break to refresh. Mandatory overtime could result in 60 hour weeks for months at a time

2. "Fullfillment Center"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

You can pick your schedule

Cons

You cannot change the schedule you pick.

Advice to Management

Flexibility is key. Don't draw a hard line with schedule changes. Due to your lack of flexibility in scheduling, I had to quit the job. At first I chose to work six days a week, which they gave to me. Then after I discovered how strenuous the job was, I asked to change the schedule to 4 days a week. I was advised by the HR associate that no schedules can be changed until Jan 3, 2017. I said then I will have to quit the job and she advised me that was a decision I would have to make but she could not help me. If you don't care about me, then I don't care about you. Bad impression for a new associate.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

- frugality is taken to the extreme, only 2 weeks vacation, parking takes a year or more to get, zero perks (not even free Prime), no fitness allowance, poor 401k
    - your peers will stab you in the back, your manager will blame you for their errors, you can't trust anyone
    - people who throw others under the bus and take credit for other people's work get promoted

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the culture the senior manager is creating in the Detroit market. Very Toxic.

4. "Working at Amazon is nothing but modern day slavery !"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no positive side to working at Amazon ! I was there for 4 and a half years and that was way too long !

Cons

If you are in pick or stow you will never be able to transfer to another job because the turnover rate is so high. Expect to walk close to 15 miles each day ! Closer to 20 during peak season ! You have no personal life if you work at amazon. The management's goal is to try to break the spirt of hard working people. No matter how much you pick it will never be enough they will always expect more out of you. Management is only interested in hearing a "success story" they don't want to hear the truth about anything. If you have a question the answer you will get is " That's a good call out, we'll get back to you on that" Don't hold your breath they will never get back to you. I would never send anyone to amazon! My advice is if you can hold on long enough take the annual employee buyout and never look back !

Advice to Management

Try treating your employees with respect and like they are human beings not machines !

5. "Investigation Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No good reasons to work here.

Cons

Mandatory 15hr overtime. poor communication throughout company. Ineffective practices on HRs side.

6. "receiving clerk"

Current Employee - ICQA in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - ICQA in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none what so ever , most jobs rebooting and a waste of time

Cons

management , turn over rate, no raises

Advice to Management

look for something else to do

"No Raises"

Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work when you want and balance your life.

Cons

No raises ever. New managers/workers being hired and fired constantly. Favoritism. Site leaders only looking to get promoted. Then they transfer somewhere else. This Amazon Prime makes the lowest wage in Texas. $10.00 an hour. I also helped launch this site when we had no a/c in the summer. No gratitude what so ever!

Advice to Management

Give raises to dedicated workers or just change amazon prime to a temp service agency.

8. "Stop the Madness!"

Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Some of The Leadership staff have hearts
    Holiday pay even if you don’t work

Cons

Long, long, long hours daily
    Constant schedule changes. Come in to work and then sent home.
    Majority of Leadership not helpful, stand behind their laptops and bark orders at you
    HR will smile to your face then stab you in the back once you turn around. They make you watch all these videos on harassment and bullying then when you report instances of it happening to you, they make you feel as though it’s your fault. You deserve it or misread the situation.
    Co-workers I found we’re slow to warm up to new people.
    During peak, run don’t walk, run from the building. You will be bombarded with the nastiest, unfriendliest, rudest people you’ve ever met. No one is considerate nor friendly during peak. It’s a ball of stress and frustration. The tension is so thick.
    Parking is a joke.
    Everything revolves around your rate. Not your health nor well being as a human and fellow co worker but how fast you pick, pack, or stow.

Advice to Management

Try being employee oriented. More rewards, less punishment.
    Hire compassionate HR reps not the stone cold hearted people employed now.
    Stop writing people up, for having a bad week then punishing them more by not allowing them to transfer.
    Stop killing employees with rate numbers they can’t all reach.

"FullFillment Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, friendly co workers.

Cons

Treat you like robots, slaves, too fast paced, want you to bus your butt for the amount they pay its not worth the hassle to stay on target and move move move on your feet 10+ hours its modern day slavery no time to train and no real formal training. They can dismiss you for anything at any time saw too many sad young kids leave with their heads hanging.

Advice to Management

Give more training.

10. "Its a job"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its a Job and it has opportunities for overtime if you need them.

Cons

Terrible policies, they treat you like a machine and HR doesn't care about trying to help you.

Advice to Management

try to do some quality of life changes for employees and treat your employees like humans, if your trainers and managers have to repeat "This is not a sweatshop, you know?". then you are doing something wrong.

Showing 19,164 of 20,870 reviews