Amazon Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2255 reviews)

• No work life - personal life balance (in 466 reviews)

1. "Experience as an Intern..!!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Amazon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was given the best opportunity to learn new things and excel in the field i studying.

Cons

I didnt find any cons.

Advice to Management

The Management was awesome.

"Good Environment, but Very Physically Demanding"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

I've only worked here for a bit over a week, so I can't comment on much. But so far, most employees and the management are all very friendly and helpful, and that counts for a lot. I am generally given the option to leave early if I need to, and on the flip side have the option to stay for a bit longer to do additional work near the end of each shift (changes things by about an hour plus or minus). The environment is definitely what I would call the strongest point.

Cons

The work is physically demanding. You are basically exerting yourself for hours on end, though you do get a 30 minute (unpaid) lunch break and also potentially a 10-15 minute (paid) break if you work for more than 5 hours. It's fast-paced, and while you can go very slowly, if you are actually trying to do a good job you're basically looking at working 3-4 times harder than most minimum-wage positions requiring manual labor. For your effort, you get perhaps 50% more pay than minimum wage, though this probably varies a bit. I look at this as a means to get in shape though, but for others this could be a deal-breaker.

There was no formal interview process, and half of the people who show up for the first day of work (there are screenings and such) didn't show up for the second due to the difficult nature of the work.

Lastly, there's very little good documentation and information made available on how you're supposed to advance. I'm hoping to pick this up as I go, but while the assumption is that long-term prospects with the company probably will require me to go into management, I'm not focused on that starting out.

Advice to Management

If you're going to have safety rules, you need to enforce them. People break them fairly often in order to boost their "numbers." Given that we're compared in many ways to our coworkers based on our numbers, and promotions or advancement could be linked to our performance, seeing many long-term employees routinely breaking the rules in order to benefit their "numbers" is frustrating to say the least.

Then again, the ones I see doing so as long-time employees are still working the entry-level positions, so perhaps there is something being done behind the scenes.

Showing 2 of 23,755 reviews