Amazon Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.9
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility & Work/Life Balance" (in 595 reviews)

• "You will learn a lot from each of your team members as they are equally bright & capable" (in 544 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be hard to build work life balance" (in 2564 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 531 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Web Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome ability to learn and take ownership.

Cons

Growing very quickly, a lot of re-organization.

"Software Development Engineer Intern"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced stimulating projects with BIG impact (My project was being used routinely as soon as I built v1.0, which also shows you how fast things move)
    - Knowledgeable managers and engineers who trust me and push me to my limits
    - Extremely competitive pay (Bay Area intern pay is higher than Seattle)
    - Great intern (luxury) housing option or housing stipend ($12k before tax/$7k after tax)

Cons

- Teams can vary - some teams move pretty slowly with internal bureaucracy while others (like mine) move super fast and ship products routinely
    - For fast teams like mine, it's not for everyone. Be very prepared to learn quickly and sometimes put in longer hours as a result - if you're here to learn and grow fast you'll love it, if you're here just for the paycheck you'll hate it
    - Teams vary on sociability, but my team in particular all kept to themselves, which made interactions very awkward and the office VERY quiet
    - Frugality is real and sometimes painfully present in the culture (not many intern events, but we did at least get intern swag and there are some snacks in the office)

Advice to Management

-Allow interns to speak to potential managers and projects before assigning them to a team. It provides more variety and tailors closer to each intern's interests.
    - Hold some intern events, albeit frugality will probably prevent it.

"Unethical Slave Ship"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money...Great pay, sign on bonus, and RSU's.

Cons

No work life balance. Long hours (12-15) on average 6 days a week. During PEAK (up to 16 hours) preferably 7 days a week. The company retention is horrible. People, health, and safety are put last. Very racist environment, and leaders are extremely unethical. It's all about making numbers, at whatever cost.

Advice to Management

Focus on leadership training, and diversity.

4. "A place where you make real impact."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am very happy with Amazon's alive enviroment. You never need to think what you are doing or what's your impact. You can just go with the flow.

Cons

Payroll is good, but side benefist are not as great as other tech giants.

"Support engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

The culture is alot different than most tech companies

6. "If you're going into EHS - think twice"

Former Employee - EHS Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - EHS Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have great stock options

Cons

The building you get assigned to work in will make or break your career and ability to move forward. Its a lot about kissing up to people instead of doing what right. You don't get enough one-on-one training from the beginning, then they throw you in the fire, they will expect you to survive with no cuts or bruises despite voicing that you're struggling, and will come full circle with hell on you when you aren't performing to their standards.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat the people you hire with more respect and understanding. Someone's job title shouldn't determine what level of decency they are owed when having a conversation.

7. "Responsible"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being in a social environment!

Cons

Dealing with the bad city traffic.

"Great Company foster learning, professional development and work life harmony"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely Talented people to work with
    Great Benefits and Competitive Compensation
    Stocks keeps going up, so does your salary as you are partly paid in RSUs

Cons

Bad Press (Thank you Senator Bernie)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't listen to Bernie or Trump. They are both Washington rats running on assumptions, lies and bitterness.

9. "So Far So Good!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm only a few weeks into working at Amazon, so admittedly these are only first impressions. But here are some of things I've seen so far.

1. Incredible recruiting experience - Throughout my entire time recruiting things were communicated very well, there was no guesswork with what to expect, when to expect it. Amazon was completely transparent about what would be coming, and then HELD TO THEIR WORD. I can't stress enough how refreshing it was to actually experience what I was told was coming. It really felt like my recruiters were working for me, not just Amazon. All my interviewers made it into a conversation, not a stressful barrage of questions. And you could tell that each one was engaged and interested, giving insightful responses and follow ups to the things I would say.

2. Relocation was simple. I moved across the country to start my new job, and Amazon hired great vendors to help with the relo and made sure every step of the process was covered. This includes working closely with me when my needs diverged from what their usual plan was, I wasn't ever told something couldn't be done.

3. Management is collaborative. So many companies talk about flat structures and how you don't really have a boss. It's never true. Amazon does a great job of having minimal hierarchy, but acknowledging where that hierarchy exists and ensuring expectations at every level are laid out. Then leveraging the expected skillsets to work in both directions. My management has already been open about expectations but consistently available to ensure I have what is needed. And thats not just with me as a new joiner, it is visible everywhere around me.

4. My work hours are flexible. My team is nice. Everyone is intelligent and hardworking. The IT support (really essential when you're onboarding anywhere I think) is very useful and responds to needs quickly.

Cons

Honestly, my cons are pretty banal. But for the sake of fair comparison here are my thoughts.

1. It took me a couple days to understand all the internal websites. I didn't feel like there was any great home navigation to find all the other internal endpoints that are needed on a daily basis. Thankfully, though, I had some friends already here who compiled a great startup email to point me in the right direction anyways.
    2. Ok, an obvious "Big tech company comparison" would point out that at Google they have in building Gyms, free lunch, and zen gardens. And I actually haven't been to Amazon HQ in seattle so I don't know all the amenities there. But ultimately, a job is a job. When I saw those things in the Google office it felt like gilding rather than something that would actually make me happier at work, but that could be different for other people.
    3. This is my one real con. Amazon doesn't do yearly bonuses, and gives out RSUs instead, which vest on a 4 year schedule that is heavily weighted to the tail end of that time. So you are always leaving money on the table when you leave. Mind you, having equity at Amazon is a really good thing, so at least right now, seems worth the wait.

10. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great career opportunities and fast paced environment where you can grow quickluy

Cons

some orgs are highly political

Showing 89 of 29,723 reviews