Amazon Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2447 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 508 reviews)

1. "There is not a single company in the world that I would rather work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Learning and Talent Development Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Amazon corporate culture/values are the best in the world. We obsess over customers. Some companies claim to care about customers, but from my experience working in retail management for other companies what they do does not even come close to what Amazon does.

We pioneer, innovate, and value the opinions of employees and customers at all levels . We truly listen to both customers and employees. I have personally worked on many initiatives to put Associate feedback into action. Some of the best ideas come from our front line employees. We listen to their feedback about barriers they face and improvements that can be made to make their job easier or better and we take action to improve those things quickly! This includes anything from adding more food options in the breakroom to making multi-million dollar investments into new technology, equipment, process improvements, etc.

The career opportunities are virtually limitless. While I was a leader in Operations within the Fulfillment Centers I personally reviewed resumes, helped with interview prep, provided opportunities for Associates to take on new and challenging roles, and personally promoted over 30 well deserving Associates from front line employees into Management positions in a span of only about 2-3 years.

Within my own career I have had an opportunity to run a department/area within a Fulfillment Center as an Area Manager where I was able to directly support, train, and mentor a large team of Associates.

I was then able to transition into an ACES Continuous Improvement Manager role where I received expert level training, development, and experience on Lean Six Sigma process improvement strategies equivalent to that of a Black Belt.

I got promoted into a Operations Manager role where I was managing other Operations Area Managers and leading a very large team of Associates in a Fulfillment Center.

I was even able to participate in an innovative new rotational program where my only job was to listen to the needs of both Associates and Managers and ensure that their feedback for improvements got put into action as quickly as possible. We call this Voices in Action. This included anything from adding better flavors of creamer for the free coffee, to adding more fans for better airflow in specific hot spots in the FC, to providing career skills training to Associates wanting to promote and grow in their careers, to providing mentorship and development training to new managers still learning how to be great leaders. The fact that Amazon would invest so much into supporting its employees speaks volumes to the culture of the company and that they are not just talking the talk they are walking the walk.

Through my experiences within Operations I wanted to make a bigger impact on the way the we onboard, train, and continuously develop employees at all levels of the organization. So I was able to transfer into a new role where I am now a part of the North American Learning and Talent Development Team that continues relentlessly to improve every aspect of how we setup new and existing Amazonians for success in their career. I am empowered and encouraged to try new ideas, solve problems, collaborate with other teams, innovate on behalf of both internal and external customers and I love what I do!

I also get the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent, talented, and motivated people on the planet with a huge amount of diversity, which just further adds to the quality of work that we do as a team and how well we are able to serve our customers and fellow Amazonians.

I even helped a member of my family get a job here through a job recommendation because I knew he would love it too!

Cons

We provide stock to all Amazon employees at all job levels. The stock was somewhere around $340 a share when I joined about 4 years ago. Now it is almost $2,000 a share and just keeps going up! The only hard thing about that is not know when or if you should ever sell it. Amazon wants all of its employees to feel personally invested in the success of the company and they do this by making everyone an Owner both figuratively and literally with stock. It feels great to know that the value we add to the company through our everyday work also gets rewarded through out ownership in Amazon stock.

Advice to Management

If you ever find yourself in a role that does not feel like the right long-term fit you can always look for other opportunities within Amazon through internal transfers. I know a lot of people that have very successfully made changes in their career path from Operations, to HR, or Continuous Improvement, or Learning/Training and Development, or Finance, or Safety, or Maintenance Engineering, etc. The opportunities at Amazon to continue to grow, learn new skills, and explore new opportunities are very common, and the options are virtually limitless.

"Great company"

Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA
    Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work as you can.

Cons

At peak hours they book tons of packages to your route.

3. "It has been an awesome experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits that come with the job

Cons

I don’t have any, it has been a very good experience

4. "DCEO"

Current Employee - DCEO in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - DCEO in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning: it is a lot of thing going on in AWS and you have to keep up with change.

Cons

work and life balance is not good.

Advice to Management

too fast!!! slow down and planned.

5. "AMZL Logistcs"

Current Employee - AMZL Learning Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - AMZL Learning Coordinator in San Jose, CA

Pros

Benefits
    Pay
    Stock
    Vacation Pay
    Work life balance

Cons

Sometimes stretched outside your role
    not all information or tools need to train others

6. "Great Company to work for!"

Former Contractor - Applications Support in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Applications Support in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers. Very nice and supportive.

Cons

Free lunches like other big tech firms would be awesome!

Advice to Management

None

7. "Amazon is not for everyone."

Former Employee - Order Picker in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Order Picker in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

Decent pay for seasonal and they offer a chance to go to permanent part-time after 90 days. Everyone at the warehouse I worked is part-time.

Cons

Amazon has "Ambassadors" whose job is to train new employees. My first day the two of us newbies were given an Ambassador tour then passed to an employee for rest of the shift. He never came back our way except to check for a minute. Ambassador made sure to tell us what were safety "don'ts" and "do's". One don't was not to jump off the docks. When it came time to get the orders for the day together, 80% of employees were jumping up and down off docks. Rarely saw a person walk around. No management in sight until orders were finished. They stayed at front end of warehouse. No hand trucks in sight. You are required to lift all packages off conveyor belt even if too heavy. If you stop and look for help you will get BEHIND on your work! Not advisable. Young folks can do okay with physical expectations but not for me. By the way, a guy who worked with me did not even have his shoes all the way on his feet! In the warehouse! And his shoe actually flew off his foot while running down the ramp! HaHa! Don't run or they will fire you. Safety is #1 at Amazon! NOT !!!

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what's happening on the floor of the warehouse. You actually make it seem that your numbers and getting out the orders are more important than your employees safety! Could it be true?

8. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the coolest companies, they take care of their employees, free coffee, no dress code, easy grow inside the company, within other great things

Cons

As a customer service representative, there’s a lot of yelling from the customers and usually frustration situations with them, besides that, there’s basically nothing wrong with this company

Advice to Management

Mostly take a lot of time to grow in the company, usually the Human Resources department don’t fulfill the deadlines

9. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon is innovation company. They always open for new ideas and drive for the best.

Cons

Not allow working from home

Advice to Management

New manager needs to take onsite training course to know how to be a productive manager

10. "Janitor"

Former Employee - Store Stocking in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Stocking in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job was very easy and every one was team.

Cons

Job was very demanding and got exhausted sometimes

Advice to Management

Very good

Showing 23 of 27,716 reviews